OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Fixed Power vs variable power

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bonefish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Fixed Power vs variable power
    Posted: January/16/2008 at 20:07
The current rage in scopes has been to the variable power and now with Bushnell's 6500 that has taken another step up. My question is variable actually preferable to a fixed power. The most popular variable being the 3X9, when hunting it seems that in almost all cases the scope is used exclusively on its highest power. With the wider range of magnification that might change. Wouldn't a high quality fixed power like the Kahles 6x42, or 8x56 provide equal magnification with better dependability at lower cost. I have read some "experts" who promote fixed power over the variable. What are your thoughts?

Bonefish
"Every one should use whatever gift he has received to serve others"
medic52 View Drop Down
Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote medic52 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/16/2008 at 20:11
For me I use a variable scopes for most guns. Personal preference I guess but if I was going to setup one gun to hunt large game with a fix power would be fine I would probably stay with a 4 or 6...........
"The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him." G.K. Chesterton
lucytuma View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucytuma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/16/2008 at 20:28
I had a 6x burris on a 30-06,  I used it on a hunt about 2 yrs. ago, though I harvested a 6x6 elk with it, I replaced the scope /w/ a 3x9.  I just felt uncomfortable on this particular hunt,  the shot came at about 60 yards in heavy cover and I truely wished I could have turned down the scope to 3x. Now I can.
RONK View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/16/2008 at 21:06

Having guided professionally, I have come to embrace the idea of powerful variables as great conservation tools. I can't imagine how many deer and elk live to a ripe old age because hunters fail to keep them turned at or near the lowest magnification.

"I would shoot him if I could find him in the scope!" or "All I can see is hair!"

I love my variable, but I'm careful to keep it turned low until I need more magnification!
ND2000 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ND2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/16/2008 at 21:09
Bonefish -

Yes, fixed power scopes have better dependability/reliability/durability because there are far fewer moving parts.  They also provide better optics than variables at a given price point, and generally a wide FOV also.

You would be extremely pleased with a top quality fixed power.  All you are sacrificing is versatility.

You bring up something interesting, that most people have their variables set at the highest power.  I don't know, but I personally think 4x is plenty of power out to 200 yards and 6x out to 300 yards unless you are hunting varmints.

ND2000
You either get what you pay for or what you deserve.
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/16/2008 at 22:18
I say why limit yourself with a fixed power?  Variables these days are durable, precise and you can get amazing optics in them.  If you want a scope at 6x just turn your variable to that.  I personally carry all my hunting scopes at the lowest power which is usually 3x.  If it is a longer shot and I have time then I will turn it up to what is needed.
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/16/2008 at 22:19
I keep my variable scopes set at 4X personally, until I need more power to make a longer shot or I'm load testing.  I think it's a bad idea to keep a variable set on its highest power.  If you need to make a really close shot, usually you have much less window of opportunity than when you're faced with a long shot.  The larger field of view the lower power offers is helpful for acquiring your target when making close shots.

With a fixed power scope, you can get as good or better optics for less money, and they are theoretically more durable because they are less mechanically complex than variables.  If you hunt in an area where all your shots will be limited to medium distance and under, a 4X fixed scope is plenty good enough.  I really like my 4X32 Conquest!  However, for most situations, I prefer the versatility a variable offers, which is why most of my rifles wear variables.

Edited by RifleDude - January/16/2008 at 22:21
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
Tip69 View Drop Down
Tip Stick

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tip69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/16/2008 at 22:25
I only own 2 fixed and they are both on rimfires and I always keep my variables on 4 power while hunting..... until I encounter a situation where I want to turn it up.
take em!
Big Squeeze View Drop Down
GOOGLE NINJA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Squeeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/17/2008 at 00:45
The variable power offers more versatility than the fixed! Absolutely!......A 2.5x or 3x on the low end offers a better FOV for the closer shots as opposed to a fixed 4x or 6x!.....You gotta go with Lucytuma & Ronks posted comments on this one!! A 3x9 or a 2.5x10 are the best all around variables! One must always be prepared for the shorter shots as well as the longer shots! I personally would not use, a fixed 4x or 6x scope on any rifle!! Any dependability issues with variables, I`d worry about later, SHOULD they EVER occur or cross that bridge should I ever come to it!!
Ed Connelly View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
God of no Chihuahua

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed Connelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/17/2008 at 04:33
A variable scope is certainly more versatile than a fixed power scope. And nowadays most variables are pretty dependable--they're not as delicate and prone to mess up like they may have been in the late fifties and early sixties. However, a fixed power scope is a fine choice if you match up your scope with your type of hunting. You can hunt just about anything on Earth with a 4X scope, except maybe wounded leopards and charging rhinos.  Smile   --Ed

Focus View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master
Conquistador!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Focus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/17/2008 at 07:41
Another vote for the variables due to the fact you can tailor the power to what the situation may require. Modern variables are not the variable of your Dads time and shortcomings have been pretty much engineered out.

Another 4X user with variables.....you can go up for long shots a lot easier than lower it for an animal right close to you.

Fixed powers have fewer lenses and are probably a little more durable.

Focus
I Can See Clearly Now......<><

If Accurate rifles Are Interesting.....I've Got Some Savages That Are Getting Mighty Interesting......
jonbravado View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonbravado Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/17/2008 at 07:48
Interesting.

I have learned over the past few years that my eyes appreciate the lower magnification.

I used to keep all my scopes set on 7x (same magnification as my binos) -  I hunt w/ a fixed 4x40 monarch ucc on my 30/30 and it's very very easy on the eyes. Aside from the reticle being a little too thin for my tastes, it's a very good scope for that gun.  I like both ideas, depending on what/where i am hunting.  I DO think it's a good idea to keep the magnification low, more often than not.

I like the simplicity of a fixed, but it's nice to have options if you need em.
the 4x and 6x from IOR and Kahles are still very attractive to me.

good thread.

J
cyborg View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Gaseous Clay

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cyborg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/17/2008 at 07:58
I too prefer the variables for the versatlity, except for home based short yardage, applications, then it's open sights, or low power fixed mag scopes. 
With Freedom comes great responsibility, you cannot have one without the other

An armed public are citizens. A disarmed public are subjects.

OATH KEEPER #8233 Support us, and join our cause.

Cyborg
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/17/2008 at 08:19
Variable!  And that comes from a Marine who shot fixed 10X for many years.

There are advantages to fixed, but good variables are just as clear, just as dependable, just as precise.  Kinda like the "bolt actions will always be more accurate" argument of 15 years ago, before many started winning major events with  poodle-shooters.

And, as for hunting with scopes only set to highest mag; all my hunting scopes are set to lowest- having learned this lesson by experience long ago.  It's easier to acquire a target and zoom than to not see it.

"Ready, Fire, Aim": not so much!
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
cyborg View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Gaseous Clay

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cyborg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/17/2008 at 08:23
I agree Rancid, and the keeping them stored at lowest power is a good idea as well. Same for the AO keep them at the recommended storage setting.
With Freedom comes great responsibility, you cannot have one without the other

An armed public are citizens. A disarmed public are subjects.

OATH KEEPER #8233 Support us, and join our cause.

Cyborg
tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/17/2008 at 08:33
Originally posted by Rancid Coolaid Rancid Coolaid wrote:

Variable!  And that comes from a Marine who shot fixed 10X for many years.

That is interesting but not surprising. I wonder if the Army will go variable like the Marines have with the S&B.

Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/17/2008 at 09:26
there are times when fixed just fit the situation and gun, thinking only variable is like thinking only bolt action.
4x Weaver
2.5 leo rifle
2 leo pistol
2.5 leo scout
6x burris
6x leo
4x ior
12x leo
2x burrris pistol
acog
4x leo pistol
10x ss
and they cost less!!!
Bonefish View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bonefish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/17/2008 at 19:54
Thanks guys for the input and discussion. As I move toward rescoping a Ruger Model Number One in 308 and Rem 700 in 30-06, I wanted to give a close look at the prospect of using one of the  fixed power Kahles or bite the bullet and get the variable.
 Your experience is invaluable in acquiring a "fair and balanced" perspective.

Bonefish
"Every one should use whatever gift he has received to serve others"
Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/17/2008 at 20:07

the mounting distance on ruger 1's is such that the scope is set back over the receiver more than a bolt (unless you use offsets or appel mounts) more like a blaser and the proportion of the unit is lost. fixed scopes up to six help this as the end is not as large and the distance to the saddle allows the scope to go forward more without loss of eye box.

Tip69 View Drop Down
Tip Stick

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tip69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/17/2008 at 20:43
I highly recommend a variable of euro design for the -06! A Kahles would be perfect.
take em!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic