OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Tactical Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

SS10X42 side or rear focus?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eldo In The Weeds Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: SS10X42 side or rear focus?
    Posted: January/16/2008 at 19:53

I have a DPMS LR308 I want to put a SS10x42 on. Mostly I will be shooting at the range at 100 or 200 yards (or more after some practice). I cannot decide if I should get the side focus version or not. What are the pros and cons? Why do people use side focus optics?

Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/16/2008 at 20:31
have the ss in a rear focus and find it more user friendly than front or side. people use side focus because they come that way.
joejitsu View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote joejitsu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/16/2008 at 23:48
Side focus is friendlier to a right handed shooter
Rear focus has fewer moving parts (less chance to malfunction and cheaper to produce)
Rear focus is more precise

I chose a rear model because of price and it fit my rifle case better (thiner profile without the 3rd turret)

cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/17/2008 at 03:04

Rear focus.

Welcome to Optics Talk!
If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/17/2008 at 08:32
I shoot lefty half the time and side focus sucks ass.

If you are a right-handed shooter, I like the side focus more, just me.  If you shoot lefty, forget the side and go with rear.
And rear is cheaper, so it's got that going for it, which is nice.
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
Eldo In The Weeds View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eldo In The Weeds Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/17/2008 at 08:59
I am a righty, BTW.
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/17/2008 at 09:17
Ive got both, I use the rear focus more of the time, but I do think the side focus turns easier.  Go look at any scope with side focus and see if you like that feature if you do buy that one.  I would not hesitate to buy either one of them unless I had enough money to buy a FFP scope then I would look at the IOR  like the one on samplelist:
7998 IOR 2.5-10x42 Tactical Matte finish, first focal plane illuminated MP-8 reticle, 30mm tube, target knobs, ring marks.   $819.95

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eldo In The Weeds Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/26/2008 at 10:57
I went ahead and got the side focus. I am a gadget head at heart? Does anyone know what size Butler Creek flip-up scope covers fit the SS10x42?
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eldo In The Weeds Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/26/2008 at 11:06
Originally posted by Eldo In The Weeds Eldo In The Weeds wrote:

I went ahead and got the side focus. I am a gadget head at heart? Does anyone know what size Butler Creek flip-up scope covers fit the SS10x42?

I found it on SWFA....   20EYE, 30OBJ. Yippee

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/26/2008 at 12:02
Originally posted by Eldo In The Weeds Eldo In The Weeds wrote:

I went ahead and got the side focus. I am a gadget head at heart?

Side focus Hocus Pocus......Wizard 

And yes...you are very much a "gadget head". Wink 

Hope you like your SS, my friend.
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eldo In The Weeds Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/26/2008 at 18:20
I knew if I didn't get the side focus I would always wonder if I should have. I like it. Here are some pics of the SS10x42M on the DPMS LR308. I sighted it in a 100 yds today. I went very smoothly and the two are a great combo so far.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/26/2008 at 18:23
VERY nice!!
RONK View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/26/2008 at 21:44

Well, that thing certainly looks like it means business! Nice rig! 
 How reliable has the rifle been for you so far re: feeding, extraction/ejection?  Also, what are you using for ammo?
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eldo In The Weeds Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/26/2008 at 22:24
At first I had some FTF/FTE, but once I got some ammo down range it started working flawlessly. I guess it needed breaking in. I have used Winchester White Box and some Australian surplus for 1968.
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/27/2008 at 08:07
Which one piece mount is that?  

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eldo In The Weeds Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/27/2008 at 10:08
It is the Wilson Combat 1-piece.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic