OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Target
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Setting on the Fence about a scope

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reloader243 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Setting on the Fence about a scope
    Posted: January/16/2008 at 13:18
New here, Need a bit of advice on scopes. I am just starting this year to get into 1000yd shooting. I have a decision to make about a scope, based on my budget..dah I'm looking at a Bushnell4200 8-32 ,a Burris Sig Select 8-32 and a Sightron Bigsky 36x...they are all in my budget. Have never shot any of them.The warranty is important, any objective thoughts by anyone using any of them? BTW, I also shoot 100-600 yd and some PD and GH   at times.
"Hitting it the 1st shot is gun control"
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/16/2008 at 14:47
Welcome to Optics Talk.

May we conclude that your budget is between $500-$600, Sir?
What type/caliber of rifle?

Of the scopes you mentioned, all will probably need a canted base to make it out to 1000 yards.    
If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
reloader243 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reloader243 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/16/2008 at 16:34
I shoot both a .308 Sav Target action fac 30" BBL and the same action with a Shilen Select Match 28" 1x8 .243Ack . Never owned a "Real" scope yet. I've been shooting behind a BSA Plat 36x44 and a Simmons 8x32, never have had a concern with either holding poa,or any problem, but I'm sure I'm missing clarity and resolution with their chinese glass. I also shot .243WSSM at PD and GH from a restocked Win 70. with another BSA plat 36x44 and it just seems to work. My budget now allows me $450-$550 so I'm trying to upgrade within those  amounts. Talked to Bushnell earlier today and explaind I was trying to decide between a few scopes in that dollar range and they suggest I check with this Forum because SWFA seems to be upfront about the good and the bad in the products they sell, and they sell all of the one's I've been frettin' about. Warranty is important,and I've heard some concerns with Nikon, and Sightron, but none bad about Bushnell and Burris. Can't quite make the Dollars for a Black Diamond, so the Sig Select is the best I can do there. I'm leaning towards the Bushnell 4200 8x32, but I guess I just need as push...Fish

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/16/2008 at 16:59
I would humbly suggest going over to the 6mm board and checking out some threads in the optics forum before making a purchase.

Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reloader243 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/16/2008 at 18:15
THanks for the info/help.Got to make a decision ,got to send some lead down range soon, gettin real bored with the winter thing....Elite

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/16/2008 at 18:19
Remember about the canted base. I prefer a one piece Picatinny style.
Best wishes!
medic52 View Drop Down
Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote medic52 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/18/2008 at 13:47
Hello Reloader and WELCOME to the site.
"The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him." G.K. Chesterton
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reloader243 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/18/2008 at 16:58
Thanks for all the imput, and thanks for the welcome as well. I'm going to give the Hubbets here in Pa a land line and see if they have any imput, Can't wait to get some real glass and do some shooting soon.Havin' enough to get the best glass will always be an issue it seems like, that and learning good bench tech,and a whole lot of things this old fart needs to pick up on.
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/24/2008 at 12:36
654305MD New%20Bushnell%204.5-30x50%20Elite%206500%2030mm%20Rifle%20Scope%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20 New Bushnell 4.5-30x50 Elite 6500 30mm Rifle Scope
  • Matte
  • Mil-Dot
  • 30mm
  • Side Focus
  • Rainguard
SWFA: $899.95
More%20Info... Buy%20Now

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
mercenary1947 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mercenary1947 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/23/2008 at 02:05
 I was just reading on another forum .... Burris customer service has taken a nose dive ???
One Shot One Kill .... *S.O.F * Head Shots Only
               SWFAM
Duce View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/27/2008 at 18:51
These two scope will get you that kind of distance without the canted rail

The LRS-1 comes with a set of rings for the picatinney rail . I have both scopes and I am impressed with the quality of the glass for the price. I have an older TRS-1 and a new TRS-1 and I can see they have continues to improve the scope and the glass.
Just another option available.
Duce Smile
Duce
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reloader243 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/09/2008 at 11:20
No more setting on the fence ,looking for a scope...Waiting on Tax refund to order the Sightron 8x32x56 SIII and waiting on release/delivery. Finally figured that glass has got to be the best I can afford.....so much for $500 scopes....Thanks for all the input guys....Thanks IRS for getting me to save for good glass !!! Found a source from Sightron to replace dot reticle with fine cross-hair...By July should be good to go...
tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/09/2008 at 16:58
I have a 6-24 Burris and it is a pretty good scope for the money. I have it on a 22-250 M700 VS. It has always tracked well and held zero. The adjustments are firm and the optics are what I have come to expect in the 4200, Monarch and VX-III price range.

Doug
1shot1kill View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1shot1kill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/10/2008 at 13:35

have you seen or tried any of the BARSKA products?

you might take a look at this.....

hope this helps. i have a buddy with one and he has money to burn
and many hi end glass toys and he has this on a couple of his mid
money  [to him] rifles. shot a few boxes of 300 win mag with  it
that day in arizona heat out to 600yds with NO issues or malfunctions
or alignment probs.

i loved it and thought the glass was pretty darned good for that price.

in fact, i was suprised!!

i have a .308 build in the works and i am going to put one of these
on mine.

Edited by cheaptrick - May/10/2008 at 17:44
SUPPORT THE COUNTRY.
SUPPORT THE PRESIDENT.
DEFEAT TERRORISM!!
Duce View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/10/2008 at 13:51
Barska makes great fishing grear, your scope will help hold the line down underwater.
I suggest useing the search function on optics talk   before buying a Barska

Also please see rule number 3 before posting
Duce  Smile
Duce
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reloader243 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/10/2008 at 17:18
Gee DUCE, I'm not sure what you mean by ck rule #3. I was just posting about trying to decide on a scope, and finally did decide on the Sightron SIII 8-32x56 dot. Didn't think I was violating any rules in the post..??
Anyway I'm ordering a new scope(BRAND UN-NAMED) and hope it is what I think it is. I'm hoping SWFA is infact where I should purchase it, I think they are pretty much priced the same everywhere...some just offer free UPS for over $500.00 purchase....some don't....
My IRS "Play Money" should be here soon, and by that time the wild rush on the scopes should be less I hope..lol  Already spent a bunch on a Stockade PD full house, so I'm doin' my part to boost the economy....be nice if USA could make as good a glass as Japan or Europe,and make it affordable, then building a 1st class scope here in the USA would be worth paying for. But that ain't gunna happen in my lifetime..Yippee
Duce View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/10/2008 at 17:46
The Ck rule 3 was for 1 shot1kill about posting competeing optics sales  links

Duce Smile
Duce

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/10/2008 at 17:48
Reloader, Duce is referring to 1shot1kill for linking other optics vendors here @ SWFA's website. He's right for doing so.

1shot1kill, you need to square yourself away and follow the rules around here.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/10/2008 at 18:06
Originally posted by 1shot1kill 1shot1kill wrote:

have you seen or tried any of the BARSKA products?

While I'm here.....Barska products are generally held in VERY low regard on this forum. 

Jus sayin......Smoking  
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reloader243 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/10/2008 at 20:36
OPPs Didn't mean to create a boondoggle here, just talkin' about optics and shootin'. I've used pretty much scopes from nightforce down to Leupold, and everything in between that I could beg or borrow....LOL.. Even OLD Tasca scopes (Japan), I can't say I'm any expert on scopes, but you kinda get a good idea once you get to try em'. I got nothing against any scope brand because there is a place for them all on the ladder. When I could afford a Simmons, I bought one and made due, when I could afford a Weaver, ditto, same goes for BSA, Millet,,,and Leupold (30x Target Dot).etc. WE all get to buy various quality of scopes as we go down the road in this sport....I don't look up to anyone using the very best, and I don't look down on the guy using something less than the best.....I've been there, and I did with what I could afford and enjoyed it. I think sometimes we all get to feeling our self-importance a bit more than we should, and become "experts" of our own making. Shooting and reloading and such in the sport, are here for us to have fun and enjoy.....so let's have fun and quit the "Parent-Child" deal....there's no place for that here......My 2 Cents worth...
Gentlemen...PS, I'll take a Sightron over a Leupold any day......lol and My LOWLY BSA 36X...lol
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic