OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Tactical Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Scope selection

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cstoute2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Scope selection
    Posted: January/16/2008 at 03:47
I just bought my first rifle. It's a .338 win mag, I am purchasing a scope for it but have no experience. I am going to use the rifle mostly for long range target shooting but also want the option of going hunting for big game. I am looking to stay in the $300s.

Any sugestions?

I was looking at the Millett TRS-1 tactical scope 4-16x50. Anyone familar with this scope? If so can it be used for hunting?

Thanks Cliff
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/16/2008 at 03:51
If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/16/2008 at 17:49
With the recoil that is going to put out you are going to want a good scope that is proven repeatable and durable.  Really in that price range your best option is a Super Sniper Scope
http://www.swfa.com/pc-4304-231-super-sniper-10x42-30mm-rifle-scope.aspx
Other than that for a good target scope you will be hard pressed to find one for $300 or less.  Add a 1 in front of that and you have many many options.
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
cstoute2 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cstoute2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/16/2008 at 18:45

Alright thank you for the advice, but with your advice another question arises. The super sniper is a fixed power correct? I was planning on zeroing the scope in at 200yrds or am I going to have to go out farther because of the fixed power?

Thanks again
Cliff
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/16/2008 at 18:47
No you could zero at 100 with 10x.  But inside of that may be tough for hunting.  If you just want a regular scope a Bushnell 4200 3-9x40 would be a good choice, they are around $300
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

cstoute2 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cstoute2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/16/2008 at 19:13
Ok I am going to be doing mostly target shooting, but it could possible be used for hunting? Yet again I have another question, how far can you effectivly reach out with the 10x power?

Thanks again
Cliff
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/16/2008 at 19:19
I know a guy that can shoot less than .5moa out past 1000 yards with a 10x scope on his .308.  He is a great rifleman.  Military snipers have used 10x scopes for years  and done well with them.  So they will do as well as the shooter can shoot.

RONK View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/16/2008 at 19:50
Originally posted by supertool73 supertool73 wrote:

I know a guy that can shoot less than .5moa out past 1000 yards with a 10x scope on his .308.  He is a great rifleman.  Military snipers have used 10x scopes for years  and done well with them.  So they will do as well as the shooter can shoot.

+1
 A decent 10x such as the Super Sniper will perform very well out at 1000 yards. If you set it up on a tapered base, you'll be using the scopes' optical center to it's best performance. Too much more magnification than that will often hinder your shooting on days of heavy mirage conditions.

Edited by RONK - January/16/2008 at 19:51
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/17/2008 at 08:29
Your first rifle is a .338WM, does it have a brake?

A few words of advice on things not yet mentioned but you will learn eventually, through instruction or experience, but you will learn:
1. Don't go cheap on base and rings.  If you mount your scope to spec on crappy, stamped aluminum dovetails rings, your scope will move under recoil.  Buy good stuff.
2.  If you are just beginning, a fixed 10X will be a good thing, always the same sight picture, always the same eye relief (which is a big plus on heavy recoil guns.)
3.  10X is good out to 1,000 yards, but if this is the first rifle and you haven't shot much distance, forget the 1,000 yard line for awhile.
4.  Break the barrel in.  Many will recommend similar ways of doing it, most are better than simply putting rounds down range in volume with no break-in.  Some will say you don't need to break in, most will say you do.  Don't take the chance on the nay-sayers being wrong, break in the barrel.
5.  Most rifles prefer a specific load/projectile combination, try several loads before settling on one YOU like.  The rifle might really like one and do OK with several.  And, FYI: the one it usually likes is almost never the cheapest.
6.  Shoot with someone who knows shooting - long-range, preferably.  Tips from an experienced shooter will help your confidence and your accuracy - and as one grows, so does the other (assuming you broke the barrel in right and didn't put crappy, stamped aluminum rings on.)
7. Have fun! Be safe!
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/17/2008 at 10:30
Bow
Originally posted by Rancid Coolaid Rancid Coolaid wrote:

Your first rifle is a .338WM, does it have a brake?
 HidingKarate  Unless you live in Alaska that might be a tad heavy for a starter rifle,  I'm thinking 30-06,  .308,  .270,  7mm08  .260 Rem, these have enough kick to let you know you shot them but wont knock you flat.  Now I will admit to once having owned .458 Win Mag and still having a .375 H&H in a light weight Encore but I'm a big guy and Ive been shooting 30-06 since I was about 5yrs old.  One thing -- if you really want to enjoy rifles the ones that are NOT belted magnums will be easier to reload for and more plesant to shoot.  Now if you do live in Alaska there is a reason they use that .338WM --- bears, for which .375 H&H is also about right - these cartridges are the lightest of the Dangerous Game Guns and more user friendly than the 458, 460,  470 etc.  Big Bore rifles are wonderful rifles but its a good its a good thing the ammo is so expensive because if you shoot much of it you will injure yourself.  Kind of like my encore 45-70 pistol it's a great gun to let your buddies shoot just to watch how much it hurts.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
cstoute2 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cstoute2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/18/2008 at 04:00

The rifle does not have a break, I purchased it about six months ago and put weaver rings on it with a  bushnell banner scope. In short I could not hit paper at 100yrds with this set up and so I returned it.

Talking about bases and rings, I was looking at a one piece base and buriss or millett tactical 30mm rings. Will this set up handle the recoil?
Also what do you mean by breaking in the barrel? I have put 22 rounds round it so far, what do I need to do to properly break the barrel in?
Thanks for all information and suggestions
Thanks
Cliff
Duce View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/18/2008 at 05:24
I have 2 of the Millette TRS-1 scopes one on a 30-06 and one on a 308  no problems in over a year, If you go to www.benchrest.com their is a lot of information on barrel breakin procedures for accuracy. What brand of rifle did you buy?
Good shooting
Duce Smile
Duce
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/18/2008 at 10:35
Originally posted by cstoute2 cstoute2 wrote:

Also what do you mean by breaking in the barrel? I have put 22 rounds round it so far, what do I need to do to properly break the barrel in?
Thanks for all information and suggestions
Thanks
Cliff

Like he said barrel break in is pretty debatable.  Gale Mcmillan one of the best barrel makers and shooters ever to live said barrel break in was complete BS and not necessary and was just a way that barrel makers get people to wear out there barrels faster so they can make more money by selling more barrels.  Others go to the point of saying fire one shot and run a certain kind of patch up and down the barrel X and 1/2 amount of times while standing on one foot with your tongue hanging out just right.  Those kind of instructions always make me laugh.  Because how does your barrel really know how many times you shot whether it was 3 or 5 or 10.  And the whole run the patch X amount of times per shot makes me roll my eyes to. 

The fact is more barrels are ruined by improper cleaning than anything.  So make sure you have the right tools to do it.  You need a coated cleaning rode a boreguide a cleaning rod stop and other proper tools.  I would suggest doing a search and finding out what exact things you need and instructions to do it poperly. 

My precision rifle is just a remmy VS with a little work done on it and it will hold .5 MOA all day.  My break in consisted of 10 shots then cleaned and 10 shots then cleaned then 10 shots then cleaned for 30 rounds.  Now I never shoot more than 20 without cleaning it out. 
If you want to follow some procedure this is what I believe the marines us.

This is from FM 23-10:
"d. Barrel Break-in Procedure. To increase barrel life, accuracy, and reduce cleaning requirement the following barrel break-in procedure must be used. This procedure is best accomplished when the SWS is new or newly rebarreled. The break-in period is accomplished by polishing the barrel surface under heat and pressure. This procedure should only be done by qualified personnel. The barrel must be cleaned of all fouling, both powder and copper. The barrel is dried, and one round is fired. The barrel is then cleaned again using carbon cleaner and then copper cleaner. The barrel must be cleaned again, and another round is fired. The procedure must be repeated for a total of 10 rounds. After the 10th round the SWS is then tested for groups by firing three-round shot groups, with a complete barrel cleaning between shot groups for a total of five shot groups (15 rounds total).

The barrel is now broken in, and will provide superior accuracy and a longer usable barrel life. Additionally, the barrel will be easier to clean because the surface is smoother. Again the barrel should be cleaned at least every 50 rounds to increase the barrel life. "

Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/18/2008 at 10:58
1st rifle and a 338,  maybe buy a box and shoot it into the hill side to see if this really what you want.
cstoute2 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cstoute2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/18/2008 at 21:27
Alright thanks for the information. This really helps
Thanks
Cliff
RONK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/19/2008 at 09:35
 Funny thing is, I've shot about a half a dozen .338 Win. mags, and for some odd reason, none of them had recoil that was the least bit objectionable to me.  (Except for one .338 Remington Ultra-Mag, with full-house loads. That could get rather unpleasant after awhile.)
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic