OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Tactical Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Mark 4 6.5-20x50 FFP Leupold Question

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote levimoliver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Mark 4 6.5-20x50 FFP Leupold Question
    Posted: January/16/2008 at 01:01
I know that this is a fairly new scope, but I am in the process of building a .308 long range rifle and have a question about the scope.  Is it possible to have the Custom Shop put the Mil adjustment on this particular model of scope?  Thanks for your help guys.

-Levi Oliver
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/16/2008 at 17:56

I actually dont think they have hit the street yet and if they have all are going to the military at this point Im sure but  you can have custom marking engraved on the knobs either by the custom shop or others.   Should be a great scope I know I want one.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
levimoliver View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote levimoliver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/16/2008 at 20:47
Thanks Uri, I know that it is a new scope and if they are going to the military I'm all for that.  Give 'em what they need to get the job done and get home.  I have read something about the custom markings, but Leupold offers mil adjustments instead of the standard MOA adjustments also.  I was wondering if it were possible to have the mil adjustments instead of the MOA.
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/17/2008 at 08:40
I know Ufriend will disagree, but why get a Leupold?  There are so many better options, why do that?

Just throwing a turd in the punchbowl, but if it were me, I'd be looking at Nightforce NXS 5.5-22x56 - easier to get, better optics, more sturdy build, better mechanics, and do you need FFP?
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/17/2008 at 09:45
Thanks Rancid  Ying%20Yang that Nightforce is a great scope - I have really considered buying one -  I just have such a hard time with the bulk of a 56mm but seem to be able to tollerate 50mm.  Actually I found I could stand to wait no longer for my FFP 6.5-20 and opted to buy the 3.5-10 FFP Leupold.  I will say that the FFP offers one distinct advantage over the second focal plane. Most balistic reticles are useable at only the highest power. With a FFP scope the hold over is the same irregardless of what power the scope is set to.  The handy dandy little book that comes with the scope shows you hold over marks  Zero at 100 yds and notes the hold over in hundreds out to 600 yds for 300 win mag 190 SMK Fed. So I  have two options  hold over using the marks or dial in correction. Since it is much faster and eleminates all posibility of error using the hold over method to engage targets at varying distances out to 600 yds in rapid succession the fact that the hold over mark is on target at 6x as well as being the same hold over mark on target at 10x is very useful. Now if you have all the time in the world that doesnt make a difference you just do the math and dial in the correction and both first and second focal plane will do that.  Where the FFP really shines is in combat and a 6x or 6.5x is about right for 200 to 400 yd/meter - agressors/deer.    So - do you need FFP?  Last I heard Koshkin really liked his IOR FFP.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
levimoliver View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote levimoliver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/17/2008 at 22:50
I guess I don't "need" the FFP, but I do prefer it.  
Mithran View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mithran Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/18/2008 at 01:01
Just wait until after SHOT 08 before you buy anything since it's happening in only a few weeks.  I think your options will increase exponentionaly after the show.  I believe Nightforce will have an FFP model/s there.
Fight Smarter
Not Harder
Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/18/2008 at 11:14
hold over with sfp is proportional to the power, and thus more evident with variables having wide range in the variable 8x32, a decrease in power raises the poi, small range in the variable upon change poi changes are hardley noticable. (1.5 x6 and most 3 thru 10's) while ffp allows "direct" hold over ranging with ffp on lower powers and unless the target is close is very difficult. as a hold device nf reticles are pretty hard to beat. most are moa, reticles and can be used directly as such, slight corrections can then be dialed in, instead of the entire solution. most nf reticles will contain 20 moa in the reticle without any dial in. (1000 yd for a easy 6.5 load).
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic