OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Firearms
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Hunting Rifle

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Optics Master
Optics Master
Conquistador!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Focus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/16/2008 at 07:09
Originally posted by tahqua tahqua wrote:

Remington makes one that size, too. I think it's called the kiddies model or something like that Wink

Hmmmm.....things are starting to get exciting as the hunters expound on the various merits and shortcomongs of their favorite long guns.....or in this case shortguns :>)

Focus
I Can See Clearly Now......<><

If Accurate rifles Are Interesting.....I've Got Some Savages That Are Getting Mighty Interesting......
cyborg View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Gaseous Clay

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cyborg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/16/2008 at 07:48
I have ALOT of respect for any one that can get the job done as well with a short one as I can with my long one. Clown 
With Freedom comes great responsibility, you cannot have one without the other

An armed public are citizens. A disarmed public are subjects.

OATH KEEPER #8233 Support us, and join our cause.

Cyborg
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/16/2008 at 07:52
your thinking of the m7 cdl youth model doug!
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Big Squeeze View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
GOOGLE NINJA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Squeeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/16/2008 at 10:19

Remington makes one that size, too. I think it's called the kiddies model or something like that Wink
    Tahqua!!..........................Well then in that case, I`m just a big kid then!!!................Check your Remmy specs again in their `08 catalog!! The SPS "youth" versions that are available, are not the same size as the Frontier! The barrels are still 20" with the same 13 3/8 LOP and are over 39" in OAL! They may make small centerfires/rimfires that are smaller........ But, with the exception of their Model 7 in a 22" barrel, there is nothing from Remington as short as the Frontier offered in the 300 WSM!...........Forgetting the LOP and barrel lengths, until Remington decides to utilize a scout scope option, the Ruger Frontier has the clear advantage. Even the regular M77 16.5" barreled compacts don`t have the scout scope option like the Frontier does!..... A scout scope makes a huge difference in handling and target acquisition. Along with some drilling and tapping, perhaps there is a scout base that one can buy for a Model 7 to mount a scout scope????................If that could be done, THEN there could be a close comparison to be made! Wink 
Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/16/2008 at 11:20
an unlimited budget and no Beretta SOs or Kreighoffs?? Brownells carrys mod7 scout scope mts, and I think B-Square makes one for both 7s and 700s. How about a Surgeon action, Mcmillian Sako hunter stock , pacnor barrel #3or 4 contour in about 20" wrapped around something with a powder capacity of 45-50 gr. shooting a bullet with high sectional density and resonable bc. -
45.308 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 45.308 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/16/2008 at 12:31
Originally posted by pyro6999 pyro6999 wrote:

i want to know who started this whole premise that moose are so tough to kill? really people i have seen moose die from single .243 bullets, a moose isnt that tough to kill, anything you use to kill mule deer is quite capable of killing a moose, a .270 or a 30-06 is gods plenty to kill a moose, in the words of dale clifford a moose is more likely to lay down and cry after being shot, because they are wimpy creatures with a big body. you dont need a .338 to kill a moose even in alaska, the only reason people take bigger guns with them up north is in case they come across a nasty big brown bear, and in that case i would want a bigger gun than a 30-06, but really folks any deer rifle loaded with a good bullet like a nosler partition will take a moose as well as a deer.

I agree with you once again about moose, they are not that tuff to kill with a good shot and a good bullet even AK moose. It all got started from hunters who could not or did not hit the engine room and writers of the current generation. Just the other day I overheard,  "those short mags are worthless here in Alaska, buddy shot a moose with one of those 300 short mags under 100 yards and after 2 shots it keep walking, I dropped it with a single shot from my 375", or something very similar to this. Go to our sighting in day at the range and check the targets with hunters using big mags and you will know how this rumor got started. Then check the target of the 14 year old young lady with her M7 shooting 7mm-08 and see who has the better chance of felling a moose. the closer you get to Anchorage the bigger the caliber gets.

Even ole booboo is not that tuff to fell if the hunter does not panic or does not get excited and places a good bullet where it counts.

My moose / Alaska rifle if money was no object, HS Precision Pro Hunter LTW in 338Fed its now called. But until someone makes the 338Fed in a rifle I like or can afford, its a 308 700SPS SS.
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/16/2008 at 15:21
Originally posted by 45.308 45.308 wrote:

i want to know who started this whole premise that moose are so tough to kill? really people i have seen moose die from single .243 bullets, a moose isnt that tough to kill, anything you use to kill mule deer is quite capable of killing a moose, a .270 or a 30-06 is gods plenty to kill a moose, in the words of dale clifford a moose is more likely to lay down and cry after being shot, because they are wimpy creatures with a big body. you dont need a .338 to kill a moose even in alaska, the only reason people take bigger guns with them up north is in case they come across a nasty big brown bear, and in that case i would want a bigger gun than a 30-06, but really folks any deer rifle loaded with a good bullet like a nosler partition will take a moose as well as a deer.

I agree with you once again about moose, they are not that tuff to kill with a good shot and a good bullet even AK moose. It all got started from hunters who could not or did not hit the engine room and writers of the current generation. Just the other day I overheard,  "those short mags are worthless here in Alaska, buddy shot a moose with one of those 300 short mags under 100 yards and after 2 shots it keep walking, I dropped it with a single shot from my 375", or something very similar to this. Go to our sighting in day at the range and check the targets with hunters using big mags and you will know how this rumor got started. Then check the target of the 14 year old young lady with her M7 shooting 7mm-08 and see who has the better chance of felling a moose. the closer you get to Anchorage the bigger the caliber gets.

Even ole booboo is not that tuff to fell if the hunter does not panic or does not get excited and places a good bullet where it counts.

My moose / Alaska rifle if money was no object, HS Precision Pro Hunter LTW in 338Fed its now called. But until someone makes the 338Fed in a rifle I like or can afford, its a 308 700SPS SS.

thank you!! i knew somebody else here could explain it a little better than i could!
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Focus View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master
Conquistador!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Focus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/16/2008 at 15:28
I use a 308 myself, 45.308, you can tell Pyro lives where they shoot moose or he did in the past. Talks with common sense and realizes they aren't anything special to put down. My hunting buddy drew a permit this past year......dropped his in its tracks with a 7mm-08 and paritions.

Focus

If Accurate rifles Are Interesting.....I've Got Some Savages That Are Getting Mighty Interesting......
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/16/2008 at 15:34
i still live where moose can be hunted just not like it was in wyoming, out west there are a ton of moose compared to minnesota, they do have a moose season here but its a lottery drawing type and its a once in a life time hunt, elk here is the same way, in wyoming i dont think anything other than sheep and mtn goat are once in a life time, (for non resident) maybe, i may be wrong on that one. the thing about moose hunting in wyoming is that A. its a big darker colored animal that lives in areas where there are mostly no trees, just willow bushes etc so they can really hide easily, and B. there eye sight is horrible, so sneaking up on one isnt near as hard as antelope, elk or deer is. so you can get very close to them, so yeah one well placed shot from about anything will work. maine may be a different ball game seems like maine is heavy forest from the hunting shows i have seen. so it may make finding one harder.
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
lucznik View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucznik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/16/2008 at 16:25

im telling ya folks the 6.5 is starting to turn heads in the good ole us of a i wish the gun manufacturers would give it more of a chance, they would figure it out that people are starting to like them

Actually, I've been shooting a .264 Win Mag for about 20 years and my dad and uncle have for an additional 20 years before that so; we're not exactly just now getting our heads turned. 

We just have a knack for being on the outside fringe of things...
What if the hokey pokey really is what it's all about?
lucznik View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucznik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/16/2008 at 16:42
Originally posted by Big Squeeze Big Squeeze wrote:

lucznik............You bought an M77 compact? When did you get that? The regular compact with walnut wood or the Frontier compact like mine......Nothing wrong with that 7mm-08 you have my friend!

You knew this already.  We've discussed it before.  I've had it for about 2 years now. Mine is the standard (i.e. not the Frontier) model.  I'm not sold on the "scout" style of rifle.  I've admittedly never tried one but, until I do and am sure I will like it, I'm hesitant to just buy one.

Unfortunately, I made two mistakes when purchasing this rifle - both of which have their roots in my failure to have enough patience to just wait until the store had exactly what I wanted...
  • First, I bought mine in the walnut/blued steel format.  I've had the action glass-bedded so; it should fine stability-wise but, the laminated stock would still have likely proven better.  I definately wish I had the weather protection of stainless steel.  Actually what I really want is for Ruger to offer this rifle in a stainless/synthetic format.
  • Second, I really do think I should have held out for a .260 Rem.  You're right that there's nothing wrong with the 7-08 but, believe it or not, there is a better selection of  hunting bullets acceptable for this rifle in 6.5mm than there is in 7mm.
lucznik View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucznik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/16/2008 at 16:44

I have a Remy M7 in .260. It is very similar in size to my friends M77 Compact. They handle real sweet.

My uncle just bought one of these this year and has used it to kill two elk already.  It's very nice but, I still prefer the Ruger.

Edited by lucznik - January/16/2008 at 16:45
Focus View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master
Conquistador!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Focus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/16/2008 at 16:50
Pyro, they be a little harder to find up here but when you do, they are not hard to kill at all. A well placed high integrity bullet will do the job in short order.

Focus

pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/16/2008 at 16:51
i have no doubt they are any harder to kill, i just figure with all the pines you have finding them is the hardest part, after of course, paking the damn thing out!
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Duce View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/16/2008 at 17:13
Since price is not a problem I would call GA Precision in North Kansas City for the rifle and LTM for the finish and have GA put on a US optics scope with Badger picatanney rail and rings  and get exactly what I want. It`s hard to beat George`s 3/8 inch accuracy guarantee with his custom rifles.
Duce  Yippee
Duce
GOOGLE NINJA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Squeeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/16/2008 at 23:27
Originally posted by lucznik lucznik wrote:

lucznik............You bought an M77 compact? When did you get that? The regular compact with walnut wood or the Frontier compact like mine......Nothing wrong with that 7mm-08 you have my friend!

You knew this already.  We've discussed it before.  I've had it for about 2 years now. Mine is the standard (i.e. not the Frontier) model.  I'm not sold on the "scout" style of rifle.  I've admittedly never tried one but, until I do and am sure I will like it, I'm hesitant to just buy one.

Unfortunately, I made two mistakes when purchasing this rifle - both of which have their roots in my failure to have enough patience to just wait until the store had exactly what I wanted...
  • First, I bought mine in the walnut/blued steel format.  I've had the action glass-bedded so; it should fine stability-wise but, the laminated stock would still have likely proven better.  I definately wish I had the weather protection of stainless steel.  Actually what I really want is for Ruger to offer this rifle in a stainless/synthetic format.
  • Second, I really do think I should have held out for a .260 Rem.  You're right that there's nothing wrong with the 7-08 but, believe it or not, there is a better selection of  hunting bullets acceptable for this rifle in 6.5mm than there is in 7mm.
........Perhaps we disccussed it before, but I didn`t remember! Must have been many months ago..........Maybe one of these days you will be able to try a scout scope! It does take a few minutes of practice with both eyes open to get use to it! But, once you do, you will be amazed as to how quick the target acquistion can be!..........Yeah! I wish my Frontier had a stainless barrel too! But none were available then in the 300 WSM and certainly there are none available now!........A stainless/synthetic format for the Ruger compact would be real nice!!...........As far as I know, the stainless Frontiers are now only available in the 308, 338 Fed., and the 358 Win. I hope to see Ruger offer a wider variety in the Frontier/compact line!!!
Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/17/2008 at 09:44
scouts have a lot going for them, always have this one in the truck, good for antelope sized and up out to 300 yds. my biggest complaint against the rugers are no iron back ups.
lucznik View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucznik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/17/2008 at 10:29
Originally posted by Dale Clifford Dale Clifford wrote:

...my biggest complaint against the rugers are no iron back ups.

This is true.
lucznik View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucznik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/17/2008 at 10:32

Originally posted by lucznik lucznik wrote:

It does take a few minutes of practice with both eyes open to get use to it! But, once you do, you will be amazed as to how quick the target acquistion can be...

I'm not nearly as concerned with how fast I can acquire the target as I am with whether or not the scout-style mount will allow for the same level of precision as the traditional mount.  I don't know either way since, as I said, I've never tried it but, this is where my concern lies.
GOOGLE NINJA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Squeeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/17/2008 at 10:38
Originally posted by Dale Clifford Dale Clifford wrote:

scouts have a lot going for them, always have this one in the truck, good for antelope sized and up out to 300 yds. my biggest complaint against the rugers are no iron back ups.
.............That`s a nice scout set up there! Certainly makes that rifle quicker to the target compared to a conventionally mounted scope! Fortunately, I do have it both ways on my Frontier, conventional scope or a scout scope! Takes less than 2 minutes to switch and no need to re-zero either one!!............Jeff Cooper was a wise man!! 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic