OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Firearms
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Hunting Rifle

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucznik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/15/2008 at 19:48
I'm with Big Squeeze on this one.  The handiness of my Ruger M77 Compact just can be beat - besides the fact that it shoots so well.  My only regret is that I wish I would have bought mine in .260 Rem rather than the 7-08 I did buy. - which is nice but, I think the 6.5 would have proven better as an all-around caliber.
What if the hokey pokey really is what it's all about?
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/15/2008 at 19:52
im telling ya folks the 6.5 is starting to turn heads in the good ole us of a i wish the gun manufacturers would give it more of a chance, they would figure it out that people are starting to like them
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Big Squeeze View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
GOOGLE NINJA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Squeeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/15/2008 at 19:54
lucznik............You bought an M77 compact? When did you get that? The regular compact with walnut wood or the Frontier compact like mine......Nothing wrong with that 7mm-08 you have my friend!
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/15/2008 at 19:55
i use to have a 708 in a ruger compact as well to short of a forend for me. but still a nice rifle!

Edited by pyro6999 - January/15/2008 at 19:56
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
GOOGLE NINJA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Squeeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/15/2008 at 20:00
Too short of a forend in what way? I`m 6"3" @ 240lbs. Regardless of any shooting position or my size, my Frontier is well suited for me!!
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/15/2008 at 20:09
forend just wasnt comfortable, im used to having plenty of WOOD to hold onto
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/15/2008 at 20:14
I have a Remy M7 in .260. It is very similar in size to my friends M77 Compact. They handle real sweet.
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/15/2008 at 20:15
i would take the m7 over the m77 any day
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
GOOGLE NINJA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Squeeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/15/2008 at 20:17
Funny!!!!........But that is not what your wife said!!!!!Roll%20on%20Floor%20Laughing 
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/15/2008 at 20:18
well she doesnt know anything shes pregnant you know, so everything is small to her except her belly and her boobs
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
GOOGLE NINJA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Squeeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/15/2008 at 20:20
Originally posted by pyro6999 pyro6999 wrote:

.................Not me! I have handled and played with the Remmy Model 7`s!!............The Ruger Frontiers are quicker and better handling!  
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/15/2008 at 20:21
with a crapy trigger and cheapo stock
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
GOOGLE NINJA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Squeeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/15/2008 at 20:26
Thats ok though! I switched out the trigger and the wood laminate stock is fine. Nothing wrong with that stock!!..................Congrats on the new baby to come!!! Better enjoy those boobs while you can,,,,,,,,,, before they shrink!!!!Baby 
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/15/2008 at 20:30
you got a laminate stock on yours oh yeah, its a grey laminate isnt it?? well other than the hawkeye lc6 the m77mkII trigger sucks i hate the one on my .280, i like the ruger action for some reason, and i guess for now the stock will work, but i really like the one on my m700cdl better!
thanks for the congrats! we are heading out west on friday for vacation and at the end of the month we go in to find out if its a boy or a girl.
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
tahqua View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/15/2008 at 20:34
Originally posted by Big Squeeze Big Squeeze wrote:

Originally posted by pyro6999 pyro6999 wrote:

.................Not me! I have handled and played with the Remmy Model 7`s!!............The Ruger Frontiers are quicker and better handling!  

In your way big dream world, buddyWink
GOOGLE NINJA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Squeeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/15/2008 at 20:37
Yep! My Ruger Frontier is the grey laminate!! Have a great vacation! Where to?
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/15/2008 at 20:37
http://www.remington.com/products/firearms/centerfire_rifles/model_seven/model_seven_CDL_specs.asp

flying into salt lake city visit my relatives for a few days then its back to wyoming to visit my friends and my dad

Edited by pyro6999 - January/15/2008 at 20:44
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
GOOGLE NINJA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Squeeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/15/2008 at 20:46
Taqhua!.............My way big dream world is just fine,,,,BUDDY!!.......The Remmy 7`s don`t have the scout scope base option like the Frontiers do! I have 2 scopes, one conventional and one scout for my Frontier! With both eyes open for quicker target acquisition that the scout scope offers, we`ll just see which rifle is quicker and better handling! The scout scope compared to my conventional scope is much quicker!!!! A little twist there for ya???
GOOGLE NINJA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Squeeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/15/2008 at 23:25
Also, the Model 7`s all have a longer LOP of 13 3/8" while the Frontiers have a 12.5" LOP! That almost 1" can and does make a difference, not only in the time it takes to shoulder the rifle, but that additional LOP, even though small, can and does mingle with thick clothing upon shouldering!.....The shortest Remmy Model 7 available has an OAL length of 39 1/4" while the Frontier`s is 35.5" in OAL...............Before buying, I looked very carefully for at least 2 hours at the Model 7 (w/ scope mounted) and the Frontier (w/ scout scope mounted), in a side by side comparison! Shouldered and aimed both extensively! Aside from any personal preferences in appearance, the Ruger Frontier has 3 clear advantages which makes for a better handling rifle!.....Shorter LOP,,,shorter OAL,,,while the most important advantage being, the option or ability to mount a scout scope!........The Remmy 7 is a fine and excellent compact. But for quicker handling and quicker target acquisition, the Ruger Frontier, especially with a scout scope, has the better advantage here!! Since Ruger had already discontinued the 300 WSM in the Frontier in late `06 and one became available last March via a phone call from my dealer, I jumped on it!........Regardless of Ruger`s shorter LOP and OAL, which are small advantages, had the Model 7 had a scout scope option in a 300 WSM, I probably would have bought the Remmy!!!Wink   
tahqua View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/16/2008 at 04:28
Remington makes one that size, too. I think it's called the kiddies model or something like that Wink
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic