OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Tactical Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Leupold mark IV 4.5-14

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nickelstick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Leupold mark IV 4.5-14
    Posted: January/14/2008 at 10:37
Any comments on Leupold mark IV 4.5-14x50 would be appreciated.
Anybody have a illum duplex?
I looking for the right scope for a 300 win mag/Alasksa/700yd target scope, it's either this or a mueller tacII.

Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/14/2008 at 11:04
comparing a mueller with the mk 4 thats funny!!! get the tmr , scope is a good choice, shorter, lighter than some of contemporaries.
nickelstick View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nickelstick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/14/2008 at 11:20
I was comparing them because I'm either going to compromise a little(mueller eye relief) or quantum leap (leupold).
TMR?
tell me your thought of the listed scope, I'm thinking illuminated, thinkit's worth it hunting grizz?
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nickelstick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/14/2008 at 11:23

Is TMR a leupold without turrets?

I want turret for hunting/target shots past 250yds,

Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/14/2008 at 11:24
whooaaa!! I'd go with a 1x4 range.  if your staying with the mk4 the 1.5 x6 SPR illum. would make a good choice.
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nickelstick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/14/2008 at 11:31
I have am mating this to a vangaurd sub-moa stainless fluted barrel with removable weatherby brake. I total expect to shoot grapefruit at 400 yds with out to much trouble.......yes I have shot way to much for years!
I want caribou at 500 to poop themselves!  I have 3x9 on my pellet gun, I cant live without more than 6x.

supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/14/2008 at 11:51
What about this one?  http://www.swfa.com/pc-10152-292-ior-2-12x32-tactical-35mm-rifle-scope.aspx

It has better glass than the Leupold, a better reticle and it has the real low power you need for real close up stuff and a good high end that will do you well for 700 yards.  Plus it has the target turrets you want. 
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nickelstick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/14/2008 at 12:04
Interesting, I know nothing (about IOR that isClown) the 32mm objective might be a little dark?
p.s I hope to only shoot to kill, but up there u never know it could be to stay aliveSay%20What 
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/14/2008 at 12:07
I think the point of the lower range is to see THEM coming. They already know your there.

Edited by Dale Clifford - January/14/2008 at 12:08
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/14/2008 at 12:09
All the way up to 8x it will have a larger exit pupil than the pupil in your eye, so it will be better than you think.  Plus the 35mm tube allows larger internal lenses which can gather and send through more light.  
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nickelstick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/14/2008 at 12:11
I always carry on 4X, and if the shot goes bast about 150, discard freehand and adjust magnification/shooting position etc.Karate
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/14/2008 at 12:18
I have a 4x optic on my AR-15 and when I train for CQB stuff I find that it is to much magnification especially with moving targets when I may be moving.  I end up just using muscle memory and send rounds into the target without getting a perfect sight picture.  But I have a semi auto so I can pump in several rounds real quick, you may only get one so it needs to be sighted.  I really don't know much about hunting grizz other than what I see on tv.  But if close stuff is a possibility and a danger to you, a really low magnification optic in my opinion would be a great thing. 

Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nickelstick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/14/2008 at 12:19
http://usaoptics.net/iorvalvarpow.html 
Thanks for helping me, I truelly appreciate it, I work hard for my money and want to get a lifetime weapon/hunting partner that will spend months afield with me.  Some years I hunt big game for 5 weeks in minnesota -can't wait for Alaska (we are moving).
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nickelstick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/14/2008 at 12:21
I forgot to say check out this one whatcha think?  Please tell me have you had experience with these? The link I gave costs a little less is it lower qualtiy?
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/14/2008 at 12:22
Originally posted by nickelstick nickelstick wrote:

http://usaoptics.net/iorvalvarpow.html 
Thanks for helping me, I truelly appreciate it, I work hard for my money and want to get a lifetime weapon/hunting partner that will spend months afield with me.  Some years I hunt big game for 5 weeks in minnesota -can't wait for Alaska (we are moving).

That is a sweet scope as well, I would say much better than the Leupold.  IOR makes a great scope.  They also have a 3-18x-42 that is amazing, I have one of them and love it.  It is getting pretty big and heavy though.

Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/14/2008 at 12:27
From my experience with IOR they don't really have a cheap line and a expensive line.  They do have a couple less expensive scopes, but they still are very durable and have really good glass.  They use the same glass and coatings in all of the newer stuff so any IOR you choose will be a good one.  I don't think they make that exact one you showed any more.  The new model looks like this.  http://www.swfa.com/pc-12303-292-ior-4-14x50-tactical-30mm-rifle-scope.aspx  I may be wrong on that but I think it was discontinued.  But that is not to say you still can't find a place that has one in stock.

tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/14/2008 at 12:44
It's been discussed here a lot, a 30mm tube does not transmit more light than a 1" tube, all things being equal. The same goes for 35mm tubes. ILy Koshkin said it pretty well here:
What we get with most of the 30mm tubed scopes are better glass and coatings because of the price range they usually fall in. Plus, they generally have more adjustment range.

Edited by tahqua - January/14/2008 at 12:45
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nickelstick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/14/2008 at 12:46

I can't express how much i appreciate your help supertool!  This looks like the best investment, I wish only the center of the reticle was lit but it should be fine with adjustment.  So which of these would you put on if this was your intimate rig?  My wife says get the one I want Bandito!

Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nickelstick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/14/2008 at 12:57
tahqua, thanks for the post.
What do know about these IOR scopes?
tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/14/2008 at 12:57
Supertool is now one of our big IOR fans around here and likes them a lot. ILya Koshkin has been around for quite awhile and has always said very positive things about them. You have two good endorsements between these two guys.
I hope you report back and good luck!

Edited by tahqua - January/14/2008 at 13:02
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic