OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Mounts & Accessories > Rings and bases
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

marlin 783

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote badshooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: marlin 783
    Posted: January/14/2008 at 10:15
I looking for a base for a Marlin 783 bolt rifle.  The rifle does not have holes tapped for a base so I'll have to have it drilled. But I need a base that fits the profile of the gun.  I can't find them here or anywhere else. I can't even find anything for this gun.
RONK View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/14/2008 at 11:25

Isn't the reciever grooved for .22 type rings?
badshooter View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote badshooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/14/2008 at 11:41
The grooves are so thin I can't get a set of rings to hold.  Any suggestions on a good set of rings that will bite onto the reciever?
RONK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/14/2008 at 12:57
  Sometimes aluminum ringsets don't bite very well, but a set of good steel ones should hold quite well, unless your grooves were factory cut out-of-spec, in which case the rifle should go back to Marlin. Hard to know what "spec" is though.
 I would try  a set of Leupold steel .22 rings. I recently mounted a set for a friend who had a set of aluminum Bushnells tear off of a Remington 552. I put the Leupolds on and they've held solidly ever since. Check out the SWFA store website under "mounts", and then click on Leupold's offerings. Burris Signature rings are another good option, but the store website 's photo recently showed an incorrect image of the product under the Medium height model's link to the enlarged photo. I don't know if it has been corrected yet, but I'll check it out.
 http://www.swfa.com/pc-6512-171-burris-signature-22-1-rings.aspx  (right description-still the wrong photo)
  http://www.swfa.com/pc-1258-171-burris-signature-22-1-rings.aspx This is what the Burris Signature medium is supposed to look like, only shorter. Note the polymer inserts: great system. 

Edited by RONK - January/14/2008 at 13:40
RONK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/14/2008 at 15:25

If you decide to drill and tap, I'm pretty sure the # 12 Weaver Top Mount bases will have the correct contour to match your receiver. You'll need two of them, but they are dirt cheap, and will set you up for any Weaver type cross-slot rings to work.

edited to add: I've updated my previous post a few times throughout the day, re-check the links if you read it earlier.  Sorry about the lack of continuity!

Edited by RONK - January/14/2008 at 15:29
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic