OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Tactical Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Mildots

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote treemanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Mildots
    Posted: January/11/2008 at 21:38
  whitch mildot is better, easier to calculate 1 mill=3.438" or 1mill=3.6"
Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/12/2008 at 10:51

ht. in yds/mils= distance, math is the same.

Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/12/2008 at 11:32
hey, I know that girl.
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/13/2008 at 18:27
Welcome to The OT!!
Glad you AND YOUR Avatar are here!!

(Seems like I've seen that avatar over @ Sniper's Hide.)
If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
Bags View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bags Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/27/2008 at 10:07
Originally posted by treemanc treemanc wrote:

whitch mildot is better, easier to calculate 1 mill=3.438" or 1mill=3.6"

3.438 is an "angular" measurement and not a "length" measurement

1 mil = 3.438 "moa" at 100 yards and each moa  = 1.047 inches. i.e.
1.047 inches x 3.438 moa = 3.6 inches

1 mil = 3.6 "actual" inches at 100 yards

or you can think of it as 1 mil = 3.6 "shooters" moa  at 100 yards. (shooters moa is 1 inch at 100 yards)

Are you confused yet?

See my mil paper at (you cannot hot link this so you have to cut and paste)

treemanc View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote treemanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/31/2008 at 21:25

Thanks for the info in  my confussion between minutes of angle & milliradians. I also found info through the mildot.com link now if I can get one of the kids to show me how to cut & paste #*!!~#* computers

Bags View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bags Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/01/2008 at 06:15

Thanks for the info in  my confussion between minutes of angle & milliradians. I also found info through the mildot.com link now if I can get one of the kids to show me how to cut & paste #*!!~#* computers

Your welcome. Here's a hot link that I know have for that website.

Bags
cyborg View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Gaseous Clay

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cyborg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/01/2008 at 06:37
That avatar is MESMERIZING!!!!!!!!
With Freedom comes great responsibility, you cannot have one without the other

An armed public are citizens. A disarmed public are subjects.

OATH KEEPER #8233 Support us, and join our cause.

Cyborg
treemanc View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote treemanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/01/2008 at 22:00
 thaks bags that link worked,  as for the avatar i didn't know wht one was till i logged on to this site it was in the selection and caught my eye to
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/02/2008 at 12:12

thaks bags that link worked,  as for the avatar i didn't know wht one was till i logged on to this site it was in the selection and caught my eye to

??? "logged on to this site it was in the selection" ???  Shocked Must be a film of "Stephanie" the Optics Godess Big%20Grin.   Kind of like the neighbor on tool time -  you never see the face so it could be anybody.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
sscoyote View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sscoyote Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/03/2008 at 08:21
I also  like to ply around with mil-dots for reticle-rangefinding, and downrange zeroing. I've read a lot of info on the mil-dots but, IMO the most significant aspect of the system is seldom discussed, and that is it's adaptability to different subtensions. There are a lot of guys that think they need to adjust the scope to the MD calibrated power of 14 to use it to rangefind. This is not necessary really. If u adjust this particluar scope to 21X the new subtension then becomes 2.4 inch per hundred yd. (IPHY) instead of the std. milliradian to use in the abovementioned formulas. instead of the 27.8 subtensions factor noted above the new factor is 100/2.4 = 41.7 Now just apply the reticle for ranging exactly as before using the new factor. This has a huge amount of significance as it now allows the shooter/user to adapt the mil-dot mil-ranging formula with any reticle out there really, and is particularly useful with std. plex reticles, and the Nikon BDC as well. Just punch in any reticle subtension u wish with a bunch of possible permutations. Understanding this concept opens a world of flexibility (and fun) regarding reticle-rangefinding that few ever seem to research.
Steve
sscoyote View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sscoyote Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/04/2008 at 21:10

Sorry, couldn't edit the above post, the optic i was talking about was the Bushnell 3200 7-21X.

BTW, Bags-- that's the best writeup i've ever seen regarding the mil-dot rangefidning system. Always wanted to know how the algebraic formula derived from the trig. Thks. sir!!

Steve
mattfetz View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mattfetz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/04/2008 at 20:36
Bags View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bags Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/04/2008 at 21:05
Originally posted by sscoyote sscoyote wrote:

BTW, Bags-- that's the best writeup i've ever seen regarding the mil-dot rangefidning system. Always wanted to know how the algebraic formula derived from the trig. Thks. sir!!

Thanks, I appreciate that. Bags
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic