OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Mounting scope base question

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dimecovers3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Mounting scope base question
    Posted: January/11/2008 at 13:18
When you remove the rifles screws on the top of the reciever, what do you use to get the threads clean and dry prior to mounting the base?

Do you put a light oil under the base ( but not in the screw holes) before mounting in case water gets under it?
Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/11/2008 at 14:11
Lots of different approaches usually do the following flush with aerosol cleaner, let dry, lightly sand bases for high spots, red loctite entire bottom, this allows for 100% contact on those type of hunting bases.
Ed Connelly View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
God of no Chihuahua

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed Connelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/11/2008 at 16:15
I de-grease the metal with any household de-greaser ( like stuff found in the kitchen that says DE-GREASER on it...) and then do what Dale said.  Make sure the steel is de-greased and dry first.   --Ed
Dolphin View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dolphin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/11/2008 at 18:08
Personally I do almost the opposite.  I clean the surface carefully and then spray it lightly with Rem. oil and wipe it dry.  I do not ever use any form of Loctite or nail polish and tighten firmly.  Since obtaining a torque screw driver, I have checked the lbs./square inch and it is 25 to 30 or just as the torx wrench bends and basically the torx screw cannot go any further.  I have mounted hundreds, none have ever come loose and I have never had a problem removing one.  I use Warne bases almost exclusively, with the exception of occasional Talley one piece light weight rings and bases, which I really love.
dimecovers3 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dimecovers3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/14/2008 at 21:16
Well,

Does not appear to be a clear consensus. My gut feeling is a thin film of Rem oil between the Stainless reciever and the blued bases can't hurt and might help with rust since I want this rig for predator calling and look to hunt in the snow and drizzzle any chance possible. I won't be far from home if something dose give, so it's not a huge deal.

Let me ask another question:  I just got a "Fat Wrench" from Wheeler Engineering.

Any idea on the correct inch pounds of torque for the bases and screws on dual dovetail ( the ones with the inserts) Signiture Burris rings and bases?  Seem to remember reading the amounts were not the same for both bases and rings.

I also got the insert kit---is this going to be a PETA to get right without using much of my scope adjustment?  The theory sounds good, but may be tricky, I'm guessng. I thought it would be best to do it at the range to look down the bore and then back at the crosshairs  at a small target 100 yards out......is this the best way?

thanks in advance

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic