OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Tactical Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

WTB tactical scope

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rem `06 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: WTB tactical scope
    Posted: January/11/2008 at 07:05

< id=NoteCtrl style="DISPLAY: none" id=:5B13805A-8164-11D3-AA48-0000C0D98DCF>

i am currently having a tactical rifle being built in 6.5x47 Lapua;

26" 5.75 broughton bbl,mcmillan htg marine sniper stock,peredator action,20MOA rail with badger dressing,det mag,base,ringe,knob etc...

i am looking hard at the monarch-x 4-16x50 mainly because the 5.5x22x50 nichtforce is out of my budget. six power on the low end is a little too much for my needs.i know this because i have a VX-3 6.5x20x50 LRT.
what other choices do i have for @1k? or said another way what is the BEST choice for @1k $$$ ???   more than 14x on the top is preferred.    30mm
cyborg View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Gaseous Clay

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cyborg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/11/2008 at 07:33
I'd look at IOR 3-18x42 the power would be what you are specifying and it's a very good scope. Check out the sample list for great deals, or save a little more money than 1000.00. 1314.00 or so. best of luck to you. If you can deal with 14 power the IOR 4-14x 50 is a very good scope and the MP-8 reticles are fantastic.  
With Freedom comes great responsibility, you cannot have one without the other

An armed public are citizens. A disarmed public are subjects.

OATH KEEPER #8233 Support us, and join our cause.

Cyborg
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/11/2008 at 09:07
One other thing about the IOR 3-18x it comes with nice heavy duty rings, so in reality that puts it down to $1214 since you would have to buy good rings for another brand of scope.  That really is a good scope. 
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/11/2008 at 10:18
Why spend that kinda money on that rifle then skimp on the scope?

I'd say get a supersniper for $300, save for as long as it takes, then get the Nightforce. Or S&B or USO.
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
rem `06 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rem `06 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/11/2008 at 18:30
< id=NoteCtrl style="DISPLAY: none" id=:5B13805A-8164-11D3-AA48-0000C0D98DCF>i will check out the IOR and rings for sure and compare to the nikon.how does it compare to the NF?

rancid coolaid,you're trying to make it hurt,and i know it heals!i hear ya! i just don't know if i can justify 1500+ ,,1000 seems bad enough!

i need this running right out of the gate. make it hurt once! definately shooting to 500yds and 600 f-class. and out to 800 for antelope to whitetails. who knows with good barrel life i'll streatch it to 1k tgts.

nxs 5.5x22x50 seems to be the cats ass,BUT?,   thats why i am asking advice from people that know. is it that much better than the nikon or ior or other? the S&B and IOR may be grounds for divorceBehead

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/11/2008 at 20:23
The Nightforce, yea, I like them allot.  Not as much as USO, but more than Nikon or IOR (have owned both.)

Like I said, spend $400 now, bank the $600, add a few bucks a day or week, within a few months, you"ll be at $1,500.  The Nightforce is worth the extra $$.

IOR is good, unless something goes wrong - then they suck.  If you want to take that chance, get IOR now.
Don't put a Nikon on that!
rem `06 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rem `06 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/12/2008 at 09:14
< id=NoteCtrl style="DISPLAY: none" id=:5B13805A-8164-11D3-AA48-0000C0D98DCF>
oops,my ending above at the end should have been S&B and USO may be grounds....

rancid coolaid,you're right on track with my line of thought!  i need to match the scope and rifle,not put on a "cheep" or "excess"(if there is such a thing) but "a true balanced set-up."
   i want to put on a scope that that set-up deserves.

so, i picked a  Nightforce  and you would pick a USO?which USO? i'm getting afraid to look. i have a few,like 2-4months till rifle is done.i'll be saving!

thank you for helping!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/15/2008 at 19:23
My preference is SN3 with EREK elevation.

I don't know anything about the caliber you are getting, but my SN# on 300WM can easily reach out past 1,000 yards.  The optics are great, the mechanics are great, the build quality is great, the Customer Service is second to none - and on par with SWFA.

As I've said here a few times, I am now somewhat reluctant to buy elsewhere.  I've been burned buying at other places and Chris has always been more than reasonable and accommodating when I purchase from him.

For the SN# configured the way you'll want it, be ready to drop $2,000 and wait 6 months.  Since that ain't the case, you might consider, listen to some of these other guys' recommendations for $1,000 scopes.

Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/17/2008 at 10:51
IOR prices have gone up significantly since this originated.

Edited by Urimaginaryfrnd - August/18/2008 at 00:07

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
rem `06 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rem `06 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/17/2008 at 12:29

< id=NoteCtrl style="DISPLAY: none" id=:5B13805A-8164-11D3-AA48-0000C0D98DCF>boy,am i glad i have a few months to decide? i found us optics websight to drewl over.

i think i have enough to go on,thanks to all for now!

i just saw bushnell is coming out with a 6.5x range line.

i hope my tax return is HUGE!

Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/17/2008 at 12:36
No problem the next best thing to being able to buy one is spending someones elses money and the SN3 with EREK is the pick of the litter but  it's lots more --- wish I could afford one. Cool

Edited by Urimaginaryfrnd - January/17/2008 at 12:36

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
rem `06 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rem `06 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/17/2008 at 12:38
whats with the garbage at the top of my posts?
made some tweeking to profile,testing to see if it gets shot down?

rem `06 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rem `06 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/17/2008 at 12:47
ahhhh....

i too wish i had someone elses money to spend on this!but i sold a 6-18x50 swarovski(turrets markings SUCK) and know what good optics can do for you! i am glad i asked,i am spending enough on the rifle and need a matching combo!

rancid coolaide,the 6.5x47 lapua is similar to a 6.5-08 (.260) WITH match grade efficiency. a 600yd tackdriver like the 6br
rem `06 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rem `06 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/04/2008 at 06:45
well rancid coolaide,i did it. i just recieved a NXS 3.5x15x50 Np-r1 and wish i had the rifle to put it on.the red reticle will be great in low light.i could not put it down it was that cool! i was looking at the S&B but all they had to do there was clean up the counter.no US optics to see,but i at least streatched it to the NXS!
i do have a week to decide if 15x is going to be enough magnification.i'll be taking it out to the field wednesday to compare to the vx-3 6.5x20x50 LRT. i can get 600yds there and i'll set up a clay bird and a groundhog tgt to do a side-by-side comparason.
do you think the 15x will be enough or should i go with the 22x?
good reticle dhoice?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/04/2008 at 07:42
Congratulations, it is a great scope.

I would recommend a rail-mounted level for 600+ yard shots.  You'd be suprised how much you naturally cant your rig when shooting, and a level will help correct that.  At 200 yards, it isn't too big a deal, at 600+, it becomes significant.

Set the illumination to just be visible in failing light and leave it alone.  The rotating ocular is something to get used to, but once you do, you'll learn to cope.

It is a great scope and will serve you well.
rem `06 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rem `06 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/04/2008 at 07:57
it is set rather bright when i used it in near dark,i'll have that covered.it will have a 20MOA rail and similar rings from seeking precision (link fyi; http://www.seekinsprecision.com/ ) and a rail level from competitor is on the way.my smith will lap the rings.

what do you mean by rotating ocular? side paralax adjust?
Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/04/2008 at 08:16
if your using covers such as butler creek, the rotate when you focus,
the scope you have got is a large step up from the listed ones and competes with the uso, although not as well. clays are a difficult target at 600 yds with any set up, closer to 1200 yds with no wind. here is 5 headshots at 650 yds..using an 8" plate to hold on

Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/04/2008 at 11:02
trouble adding pict. this morning.  the reticle is probably more important than the mag. in a tactical vs target set up. the one above has the n-r2 and 30 moa in the reticle. with  over 20 moa in clicks no canted rail is needed. the nf has a very large "sweet spot" and hold overs at the extreme range of the reticles (at the optic extreme) still gives better resolution and contrast than most scopes. If you are thinking more target than tactical go the 22 power.
rem `06 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rem `06 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/04/2008 at 13:36
if i primarily was going to use this for paper matches instead of hunting,i would have gone with a benchrest flat forearm stock with a high pwr scope.my factory varmint .243(just barely under 1MOA) is running out of accuracy for me past 500yds for groundhogs(missing them too much!).I got this gun made for field use and increased accuracy to replace the .243 and need a scope to match the following: whitetails,groundhogs,peredators,and antelope etc...off in the distance,pa whitetails are often close in the woods,hense the low pwr at the bottom end is needed.i'll shoot a few groundhog matches at 1-3-500 and a 600yd f-class to dial it in,but after that it is for hunting.i'm hoping with the fine etched reticle and high end optics 15x will offer me enough pwr to zoom in on 12" groundhogs past 500,nearing the 800yd mark to 1k?cant hit what you cant see,and this should be a 1/2MOA or better gun,and i don't want the scope to dampen the accuracy dept.
it will get butler creek caps on it but i think that once it is focused,i shouldn't need to move the ocular in a regular basis?
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/04/2008 at 14:15
oh, read your first post and said tactical-- thought maybe 3 gun matches, or tactical matches, --if you use a 20 moa rail, you'll probably need a cheek riser. for good check weld, I don't think you will be scope limited by any means. yes once its focused it doesn't need redone.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic