OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Firearms
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

I Know Your Not Savage Guys...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Optics Master
Optics Master
Conquistador!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Focus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: I Know Your Not Savage Guys...
    Posted: January/10/2008 at 19:56
But they will be offering the 6mmbr chambering this year after adding the 6.5x284 last year. The F Class target line is still happening and the 30" barrel long range varminter with three pillars and small ejection port is offered in fast and slow twists in 22 calibers. Some of these would make rockin' varminters for long range....

Focus
I Can See Clearly Now......<><

If Accurate rifles Are Interesting.....I've Got Some Savages That Are Getting Mighty Interesting......
tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/10/2008 at 20:39
I'm not one but there's more than a few Savage fans around here. The more that they do, the more the competition has to respond. A healthy gun company, no matter which one, is a good thing.
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/10/2008 at 20:52
i wish they would chamber the 6.5x.284 in a regular rifle instead of the fclass rifle
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
RONK View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/10/2008 at 22:07

I like Savage as a company more every time I hear about  a new product they are offering us.  As Doug says, the whole industry responds, generally a good thing for us consumers.
cyborg View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Gaseous Clay

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cyborg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/11/2008 at 06:52
Savage is a serious company, after the problems they had before becoming private they are becoming very aggresive.
With Freedom comes great responsibility, you cannot have one without the other

An armed public are citizens. A disarmed public are subjects.

OATH KEEPER #8233 Support us, and join our cause.

Cyborg
Dolphin View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dolphin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/11/2008 at 08:49
I am a Savage lover and right now they are doing more things than any other company to attract me as another buyer, just as you mentioned.  I have Savage Lo profile in a 22-250 that is an absolute tack driver and is probably one of my favorite rifles.  The little Savage in a 17hmr, bought before they put the accutrigger on it, will hit quarters all day at 100 yards in a calm wind.  I have a Savage 11 in a 308 and 7mm-08, both good shooters with nice wood and the fit and finish is superb.  I would love to get the single shot, with the left sided port in the 6.5-284.  I said my next purchase was a cdl, but now, maybe it will be that Savage.  Good post.
Dolphin View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dolphin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/11/2008 at 09:07
Oh, and I left out another one of my favorite rifles, my Savage 40.  I love that little 22 hornet.  Reloading is easy and out of a pound of powder you can get a thousand rounds plus.  Gorgeous little rifle.
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/11/2008 at 10:07
Focus, I'm slowly becoming a closet Savage fan myself.  For many years I viewed their rifles as cheap and shoddy.  Then, just during the past decade or so, I began shooting some of my friends' Savages and realized "hey, these things will SHOOT!" 

There are things about them I still don't like.  Some of their rifles are decent looking, but overall, you're not going to be wowed by their elegant classy lines and beautiful finish, though there have been some little improvements here and there in the looks category.  Of course, beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but I think what detracts from its looks for me is the prominent barrel nut, that loose, jiggly baffle in front of the bolt handle, the strange looking bolt handles, the large stamped metal bolt stop on the side of the reciever, their stock designs, and the lack of a bolt shroud, with just a nut where it would normally be.  Mechanically, I don't particularly care for the fact the bolt stop also serves as the sear.

So, it sounds like I'm not exactly a fan...........

However, they seem to make great barrels, and the average Savage in general will shoot with most any factory rifle out of the box.  Their varmint rifles in particular are usually TACKDRIVERS!  I really like their new varmint rifle lineup, especially the right bolt/left port Long Range Precision Varminter with the heavy straight taper barrel!  I like the fact they are trying to give the consumer a decent trigger pull with the Accu-Trigger (even though I think some of the aftermarket triggers for the Savage are even better).  That same ugly barrel nut also makes rebarelling and setting headspace much easier.  The floating bolt head aids in accuracy potential as well.  They seem to be listening to the consumer and making definite improvements.  They offer a good rifle for a reasonable price.

If "pretty is as pretty does," then they are beautiful, because again, they will usually shoot very well!
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
Mithran View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mithran Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/11/2008 at 10:30
I've had mine for about 3 years.  Love mine.
Fight Smarter
Not Harder
Tip69 View Drop Down
Tip Stick

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tip69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/11/2008 at 13:14
Originally posted by Dolphin Dolphin wrote:

Oh, and I left out another one of my favorite rifles, my Savage 40.  I love that little 22 hornet.  Reloading is easy and out of a pound of powder you can get a thousand rounds plus.  Gorgeous little rifle.

How about posting a pic........ or a link if you have already! 
take em!
Tip69 View Drop Down
Tip Stick

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tip69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/11/2008 at 13:17
btw........... not sure if I mentioned it already or not but found a Model 11 in .204 at a store in Fremont, NE for $229.00.   Can you believe that!  It was so close to Christmas I had to put on lay-a-way, so we haven't been able to shoot it yet.  Probably give it to my Son for his birthday this summer.
take em!
Focus View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master
Conquistador!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Focus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/11/2008 at 16:20
Looks like the ugly barrel nut is being replaced by a smooth one, don't care for that myself as it has to use some different kind of wrench to loosen. I have to send for the new catalog and see what alls new, they moved the bolt release underneath also. Surprised many responded to the thread as they have always been the red headed stepchild of rifles. I will say their accuracy has spoiled me and some of the varmint/target rifles are really ready right out of the box. You are right Ted, the Sharp Shooter Supply and Rifle Basics triggers are better than the best tuned accutrigger......timney isn't bad either.

Focus

If Accurate rifles Are Interesting.....I've Got Some Savages That Are Getting Mighty Interesting......
Dolphin View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dolphin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/11/2008 at 17:54
I am not sure guys, I still love the accurtrigger.  Here is the link to the Savage 40:
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/11/2008 at 18:52
Originally posted by Dolphin Dolphin wrote:

I am not sure guys, I still love the accurtrigger.  Here is the link to the Savage 40:

The Accutrigger is a nice trigger by factory trigger standards.  It's certainly a huge improvement over what they used to have.  But, join us on one of our prairie dog sniping trips and trust me, afterward, you'll be saying "f**k the Accutrigger!"  Imagine an Accutrigger without the little annoying lever in the center of the trigger, with a pound lighter weight and almost no perceptible take up or overtravel, and you have an idea of what one of the better Sharp Shooters' Supply or Rifle Basix triggers is like.
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
Dolphin View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dolphin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/11/2008 at 19:18
Well, the rifles shoot so damn accurate and I like the feel of the triggers I will probably leave them alone.  Now in that 243 that I put together, I put an after market trigger in it, I cannot recall the brand, but it is set to break at about 2.5 pounds, with zero creep or overtravel and is a joy.  But, I will be honest, all of my Wby. Mark V triggers have zero creep or over travel and I know exactly when they are going to go off.  I have no desire to exchange those.  One of my German Wbys. in a 300 had it adjusted and it is a true glass trigger, it has to break at 1 pound.  The first time I shot it, it was a surprise.  I have a surprisingly good memory with respect to how each trigger acts on each of my rifles and really have been satisfied overall.  Even the non-accutrigger on the Savage17hmr, but that one I have considered replacing.  What would you recommend that would require no stock alteration?
Focus View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master
Conquistador!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Focus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/12/2008 at 07:15
There is a point with all accutriggers where they false fire (sear drops but sear block catches it) They click and need to be recocked to fire. Very annoying and result when the trigger spring is lowered to far without also reducing the center sear block shoe also. The target triggers show up at 10-12oz and the varmint triggers show up right about 1 1/4-1 1/2# the straighter you can pull the trigger the slower the problem appears. Also the more vertical the pistol grip the less of a problem. You can lower the sear block spring and reduce its commonness.....but it will still do it every once in a while. Not a big deal on a crow or chuck perhaps but real nasty on a trophy buck. Yes I use very light triggers for hunting.....I just know how to keep my finger off the trigger till I'm ready to shoot. Accutriggers can have too much overtravel or creep also, not something I care for. The SSS and rifle basics triggers are fully adjustable and literaly break like glass, both will adjust down to most shooters likes and use the factory safety. Timney is another good one but even stoned won't adjust as low safely as the first two. I leave the accutriggers on my varminters and trim the two springs to get a balance and about 30-32oz pull, works OK for me and saves me money. I like one of the aforementioned models for my hunting rifles because just one false release would be far too many. Dolphin I'm not as versed with the rimfire series rifles but try Fred at SSS and look into the riflebasics, they probably can dial you right in for a quality trigger. SSS are probably the best triggers I've ever used to this point....

Focus

Dolphin View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dolphin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/12/2008 at 08:00
I have never had that problem with any of my accurtriggers.  Thats interesting.
Dolphin View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dolphin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/12/2008 at 08:20
Here is a nice article on the accutrigger that I read quite some time ago that the author compares to a variety of competitors.  He also goes into the details of the mechanism of the trigger.  I am sure you guys have read it, but for an update, here it is:
Tip69 View Drop Down
Tip Stick

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tip69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/12/2008 at 09:16
Originally posted by Focus Focus wrote:

There is a point with all accutriggers where they false fire (sear drops but sear block catches it) They click and need to be recocked to fire. ....

Focus

Are you saying this happens only when adjusted too far or it will happen no matter what?  We haven't had any issues with the triggers. 

My Son's 22-250 model 11 is really hard to close the bolt!  He can barely do it and the magazine sucks.  As soon as coyote season is over(when they start to pair up) I'm planning on sending it back to they can fix them.
take em!
Focus View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master
Conquistador!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Focus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/12/2008 at 10:03
Tip and Dolphin, you notice I mentioned going down to 1 1/2# and lower to have this result with the varmint trigger (the trigger in the model 10 tactical and model 12 varminter) Usually it takes some tweaking to get the factory light spring down that low. On the std savage accutriggers that adjust from about 2 1/2# and up it is non existant. On the varmint triggers from about 2# up it is non existant as well. Its when the trigger spring pressure gets close to the inner shoe spring pressure that it starts to occur with regularity.

Tip, bolt closing hard on factory ammo would indicate someone has headspaced the barrel too tight or dirt and debris in the chamber. Many savages have someone play with the headspace because its so easy and if they make it tight for certain brass it can close real hard on factory ammo. Magazine if the new in-line feed can take getting used to, older stagger feed mags need to have the right spring pressure for the round being used. Again if someone has played with the Z spring or replaced with a coil spring follower it could need to be played with. The factory can put things back right as can any good gunsmith that knows savages. If your gun was used these could be problems. If it was new than the chamber should really be checked closely for anything that might be causing the bolt to close hard.

Focus

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic