OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Firearms
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Remington Mausers

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dolphin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Remington Mausers
    Posted: January/10/2008 at 14:22
Has anyone purchased one of the Remington Mausers?  I cannot recall the model number.  I am just wondering about the fit and finish and how well they shoot, given they are made I believe in Russia.  I love Mauser actions and gun-tests magazine is suppose to do an article comparing the Remington to the Mauser 03.

Edited by Dolphin - January/10/2008 at 14:22
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/10/2008 at 14:38
798 and 799
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
silver View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/10/2008 at 16:20
These are the same yugo guns that Interarms imported.  It's the shotguns that are russian.
"If we weren't all crazy we, We would go insane."   Jimmie Buffet

WWW.formitch.com

Wally View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wally Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/10/2008 at 18:07
I looked at two that were really rough.  One was running uphill in the stock really bad.  Both actions were rough with lots of tool marks. 

Steve
RONK View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/10/2008 at 18:44
I don't know much about them, but they look like the CZ (?) Mausers imported by various  concerns over the years. (Charles Daly, Interarms, probably others?

Edited to ask: aren't they made in Czechoslavakia?

Edited by RONK - January/10/2008 at 18:48
Wally View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wally Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/10/2008 at 18:58
I'm pretty sure they're not the CZ's, since they are doing things on their own now.  I think they are the one's Charles Daly and Interarms used to import from Yugoslavia, like silver stated.  I'm pretty sure  CZ's are from Czechoslovakia.   

My Dad has three CZ's, which are all much nicer than the Remington 798's I saw.  The two newest CZ's, a 9.3x62 and a 204 shoot very well.  The oldest is a Whitworth, with CZ clearly stamped on the action, in 7x57.   

Steve

Edited by Wally - January/10/2008 at 18:59
RONK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/10/2008 at 19:43

I learned something new today.  Thanks for the info!
 The CZs I've encountered in years past were very nice rifles indeed.
robbie View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote robbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/10/2008 at 22:50
Have't shot it, But a neighbor where we hunt got 1 for Christmas last year.

Added a Fulfield II bore sighted at the sporting goods store.  Shot about 6 rounds to sight in and killed 4 deer with 4 shots during season.  He loves it.  Sounds adequate to me.............
martin3175 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote martin3175 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/14/2008 at 21:09
 I concur on they are Charles Daly's old stuff..   & tend to be a bit rough, but still work okay. Most of the issues are cosmetic. Have to admit the CZ's I've seen are much nicer though.
Ed Connelly View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
God of no Chihuahua

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed Connelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/20/2008 at 12:41
The Remington Mausers are built by Zastava in the former Yugoslavia--I can't off hand tell you the "new" name of the country---they divided it up like they did with Czechoslovakia. Zastava has a trademark that has a prominent CZ in the label but that is NOT the CZ (as in CZ-USA) firearms that is in the Czech Republic [which was formerly called Brno.] I used to have a Whitworth rifle and I used to see that stamping. I don't have it anymore so I can't run and look at it.  But, now that the War is over, the Zastava plant is back in business.

I thought that Remington would market a clean and slicked-up unit, but I guess not.... But, that's OK---we still have CZ, Thank God. ( or we could go overseas and buy a HEYM!!) Smile --Ed
Dolphin View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dolphin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/20/2008 at 13:36
I have learned that they are the former Interarms Mark X.  I have a Zastava in a .308 that shoots 1/2 inch groups with handloads at 100 yards and it is a beautiful rifle, with a nice walnut stock and beautiful high gloss bluing.  Sounds like they are not putting them together the way they used to.
Wally View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wally Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/21/2008 at 13:58
I went by Gander Mountain just to double check on these rifles.  I found 3 of them on the rack.  Sorry to say, but I stand by my original assessment. 

The rifles had Zastava stamped on the action, and "Made in Serbia".  I guess that's were they ended up after the war.

Yes, they are functional, but in my opinion, they are rough.  There were nicer rifles on the rack for the same price.

Steve

Edited by Wally - January/21/2008 at 16:42
Duce View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/21/2008 at 16:06
I was thinking the 798 in a 300 win mag would be a good addition guess I will have to do some comparing to CZ etc. I have a CZ 550 and I do not line the way the mounts fit on the action, I have had a problem with movement, once the mount problem was solved I liked the rifle in particular the set trigger for target shooting.

Duce  Smile
Duce
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/22/2008 at 08:46
Just to clarify the Zastava, Interarms, Charles Daly, and Remington M798 connection, they are all one in the same.  The barreled actions for the M798, and I assume the M799s as well (curiously, the M799 has a Sako style extractor instead of the Mauser style extractor as on the M798, which makes me wonder) are made by Zastava of Serbia and Remington provides their own laminated stock for them.  The Interarms Mark X and the Charles Daly Mauser style actions were also made by Zastava.  These rifles have no connection whatsoever to CZ, the Czech firearms manufacturer.

Edited by RifleDude - January/22/2008 at 08:48
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
Big Squeeze View Drop Down
GOOGLE NINJA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Squeeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/22/2008 at 12:14
While placing my order for my new 375 Ruger Howa earlier this month, I happened to handle a new Remmy 798 chambered in the 375 H&H........I will say that the smoothness of its action left alot to be desired when compared to the 700`s, which of course are much better!........... 
Ed Connelly View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
God of no Chihuahua

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed Connelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/22/2008 at 16:19
Big Squeeze is going to buy a TRAIN LOAD of Dinosaur Rifles and play with them until he figures out which one he wants! Then he will have to sell off the culls.

(Not a problem!! Why just the other day they were giving away ELEPHANT RIFLES with every fill up in Kilgore, Texas at the FINA station!!)     Vato
Big Squeeze View Drop Down
GOOGLE NINJA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Squeeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/22/2008 at 23:06
Originally posted by Ed Connelly Ed Connelly wrote:

Big Squeeze is going to buy a TRAIN LOAD of Dinosaur Rifles and play with them until he figures out which one he wants! Then he will have to sell off the culls.

(Not a problem!! Why just the other day they were giving away ELEPHANT RIFLES with every fill up in Kilgore, Texas at the FINA station!!)     Vato
...................................................................ED!!!! YOU are SOOOOOOOOOOOO FUNNY!!! How about FOSSILIZED rifles!! Don`t worry, the soap opera will end for you when the Howa comes in!! In the meantime, I should provide for you some good posting material????!!.............Big%20Grin   Get%20Your%20Popcorn%20Ready Laugh Bow  Mean%20Computer   Horse%20Poop Stiring%20The%20Pot   Na%20Na
Bender View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/17/2008 at 12:02
Here is a linkhttp://www.zastava-arms.co.yu/english/civilni.htm .
I've personally owned some Zastava rifles-I was happy to get my hands on couple Interarms mark -X rifles-they were basically the same as Zastavas for domestic market but with much nicer finish, trigger and stock. They are good hunting rifles and they feature a true Mauser system,but they are not fancy weapons. Action is very good and it could  be  a  great base for  a  fancy rifle . I've seen that quality has dropped and it would be a much better buy if you could get older Interarms models.

Cheers
ssf467 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ssf467 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/17/2008 at 19:59
Why does Remington bother?
Tip69 View Drop Down
Tip Stick

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tip69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/18/2008 at 10:10
because there are a number of folks out there that just want something that goes BANG and they wanted a share of that market!  Have you noticed the sucess of their 870 Express?
take em!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic