OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

4200 v. New Monarch

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote green-grizzly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 4200 v. New Monarch
    Posted: January/10/2008 at 12:25
As far as optical quality (clarity, brightness), is it aces between these two scopes or is the 4200 better?

Is the Monarch still made in Japan or is it made in the Phillipines?

I want to put a variable magnified scope on my AR for plinking.  I have a couple of 4200s and am very pleased with them, but like that the new Monarchs have some choices with mil-dots.

Does anyone know what this new interchangeable turret system is for the Monarch?  Can you install target turrets on a regular scope?

Thanks for any help.
tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/10/2008 at 13:44
My 3-9 Monarch is Phillipines and is probably not the same as the one you are looking at. With that said, the 3-9 4200 I just got is no better optically. They are both very good scopes for the money. I still haven't showered with the 4200 to see if the Rainguard works, though.
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/10/2008 at 13:48
im with doug i too have a monarch and a 4200 and really i cant tell much difference either, but they are both excellent scopes for what there companies get for them. nikons cd dept has a dreadfully poor reputation and bushnells is rumored to be quite good, but slow, but at least they fix it.
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Dolphin View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dolphin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/10/2008 at 14:10
Originally posted by tahqua tahqua wrote:

My 3-9 Monarch is Phillipines and is probably not the same as the one you are looking at. With that said, the 3-9 4200 I just got is no better optically. They are both very good scopes for the money. I still haven't showered with the 4200 to see if the Rainguard works, though.
 Now thats funny, showering with your rifle scope.
Big Squeeze View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
GOOGLE NINJA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Squeeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/10/2008 at 14:20
Tahqua................Please send us some pics of you showering/bathtub`n with your Elite 4200!! That will REALLY boost the Rainguard`s credibility!!! Don`t forget to wash behind the turrets and remove the scope covers too!!!!!!Cencored  Roll%20on%20Floor%20LaughingBubble%20Bath
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/10/2008 at 14:26
Originally posted by pyro6999 pyro6999 wrote:

im with doug i too have a monarch and a 4200 and really i cant tell much difference either, but they are both excellent scopes for what there companies get for them. nikons cd dept has a dreadfully poor reputation and bushnells is rumored to be quite good, but slow, but at least they fix it.

In my one experience, Bushnell stands by their stuff like Leupold. I had one on my .22 for a few years and one day noticed that the one of the lines of the plex reticle had detach from  what ever held it in place. I called Bushnell, they said send it back, I did, and soon after received a new replacement scope. Not receipt, no questions asked, very cool!! Big%20Smile
“A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be.” – Fred Bear
Ed Connelly View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
God of no Chihuahua

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed Connelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/10/2008 at 16:13
I'm no expert, but I don't believe the Monarch was EVER made in Japan. The one I had in the ninties, when they were first introduced, said Thailand on it. I believe only the ORIGINAL Nikon scopes were made in Japan...(1985-1995).    Bucky     --Ed
Tip69 View Drop Down
Tip Stick

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tip69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/11/2008 at 17:42
Wasn't the glass made in Japan?
take em!
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/11/2008 at 18:43
Originally posted by Ed Connelly Ed Connelly wrote:

I'm no expert, but I don't believe the Monarch was EVER made in Japan. The one I had in the ninties, when they were first introduced, said Thailand on it. I believe only the ORIGINAL Nikon scopes were made in Japan...(1985-1995).    Bucky     --Ed

My last Monarch said made in Japan and my new Monarch has made in the Philippines.

If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/11/2008 at 19:41
all of my nikons were made in the philippines monarchs and buckmasters, im pretty sure my bro in laws prostaff was as well
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
fourinone View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fourinone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/13/2008 at 06:18
I have a Monarch I bought new in 2005 that has MADE IN JAPAN stamped in the bottom side of the scope tube. It is a 3.3-10x42mm A.O. Monarch.
Can you see me now...
rooshooter View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rooshooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/13/2008 at 06:27
according to admin the new monarchs are made in the phillipines were as the monarch x and gold are made in japan!
Ed Connelly View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
God of no Chihuahua

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed Connelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/13/2008 at 08:25
Now I'm thoroughly confused. I need a Rand McNally Atlas and some notebook paper so I kin writes all this stuff down.   Hammer
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic