OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Reloading & Ballistics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Electronic or Balance?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Optics Master
Optics Master
Conquistador!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Focus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Electronic or Balance?
    Posted: January/10/2008 at 11:53
How many guys like me still using and trusting a balance beam loading scale? Electronic ones are nice for weighing brass and bullets but drifting and calibrating kinda leave me cold for weighing exact powder charges for me. Course I only load 20 or so at a time and my reloading doesn't entail hours at the bench so the balance and weighing each charge isn't really too burdensome I suppose.

Focus
I Can See Clearly Now......<><

If Accurate rifles Are Interesting.....I've Got Some Savages That Are Getting Mighty Interesting......
Bigdaddy0381 View Drop Down
Georgia peach

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigdaddy0381 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/10/2008 at 12:06

I use electronic scales.

I have a Lyman scale I got with the press and I have and a http://www.acculab.com/products/?item=VIC-303 scale. I use both on every single load. I will pull some loaded shells from a batch of 100+(all I load) and open them back up just to see if they all are the correct weights. 100% of the time it is right on the money. It takes me a little longer to load because I weight each charge but it is dead on when I’m finished.

P&Z Firearms , Pro gun cleanings and gun repair and wood refinishing.

Ecclesiastes 10:2
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/10/2008 at 12:32
i started using a balance beam 20yrs ago and until last year i started using a digital, both are good.
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Dolphin View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dolphin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/10/2008 at 14:29
I use the RCBS digital combined with auto dispense unit and would never do it any other way.  Although I have never used the balance, the Lyman balance that came with the press does not exactly inspire a great deal of confidence, based on its cheap appearance.  I have checked and re-checked the RCBS for repeatability and it is always on the money.  I calibrate before every reloading session and frequently will recalibrate in the middle of a session.  I use it on Auto mode.  Just load the powder, set to Auto, punch the amount in grains, hit dispense and every time I set the tray back onto the scale, it dumps the same amount back into the tray.  While it is re-dispensing, I am seating a bullet.  Knowing my obsessive compulsive behavior, that balance would drive me crazy.

Edited by Dolphin - January/10/2008 at 14:30
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/10/2008 at 14:40
well it can take a bit to get the scale to balance out unless you are way light or way heavy of course, if your within .5 grains +or- it can take a while, i hated that.
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
silver View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/10/2008 at 17:59
Lyman still sell refferance weights? Either style is only as good as the set up and calibration.
"If we weren't all crazy we, We would go insane."   Jimmie Buffet

WWW.formitch.com

Steelbenz View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
ROLL TIDE ROLL

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steelbenz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/10/2008 at 20:40

Dolphin nailed it for me,

That 5-0-5 scale dosn't inspire confidence in accuracy. I'm new to reloading but not to fine calibration work. The first time I threw a charge of Varget into a case for my .308 I was looking for a digital scale. LOL It looked like I was never going to get the bullet in the case. Then friends told me that that was about normal and that I should try 4064. Still I'm looking for a good Ohaus jewelers scale. A fair one can get you to about 1/30th of a grain accuracy.

"Don't argue with a fool! From a distance you can't really tell who's who!"
Wally View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wally Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/10/2008 at 21:02
I'm a big fan of the RCBS Chargemaster as well.  I've been totally satisfied.  I've checked it every way I can think of, and it's never failed.

Steve
Focus View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master
Conquistador!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Focus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/11/2008 at 09:22
Guess I'm the last of a dieing breed......:>)

Focus
I Can See Clearly Now......<><

If Accurate rifles Are Interesting.....I've Got Some Savages That Are Getting Mighty Interesting......
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/11/2008 at 09:36
my old man still uses the original lyman scale that my grand dad started out with over 50 yrs ago you are not alone
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Wally View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wally Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/11/2008 at 12:02
I've switched back and forth from balance beam scales to electronics over the last several years.  I seem to always come back to the electronic.  Some of the early electronics were a little iffy, but my latest, the RCBS Chargemaster has been very good.

Steve
Longhunter View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Longhunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/11/2008 at 14:02
I'm with Dolphin.  The RCBS automatic dispenser/electronic scale combination is great.  It eliminates all the fiddling around to get an exact charge.  If I didn't have this, I could happily work with an RCBS mechanical scale.  These have been very reliable and accurate.   
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/11/2008 at 15:07
I have and use both.  The balance scale just verifies the electronic scale, so that when they both agree (and they always do), I have total confidence in my charge weight.  For most of my loading, I use the digital since it's much faster, but during a long session, I'll occasionally weigh a "reality check" charge on the ol' balance scale just to verify they still both agree with each other.  Kinda like wearing both a belt and suspenders at the same time!
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/12/2008 at 08:17
Originally posted by Focus Focus wrote:

Guess I'm the last of a dieing breed......:>)

Focus

Me too....Big%20Grin
RCBS 5-0-5 for me....I don't need no "steenking" digital scale. Bandito
If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/12/2008 at 08:35
RCBS 510 and Uniflow here. Upgrading is definitely in order.
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/12/2008 at 08:41
i use the uniflow myself and i hate it compared to the lyman no 55 the uniflow sucks i think as far as manual powder dispensers go, the charge master is nice i wonder if the unit pact makes is just as nice but $100 cheaper.
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/12/2008 at 08:51

Here is an intersting article, for those of us behind the times

pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/12/2008 at 08:55
thanks for that T i guess i will go ahead and spend the money and do it right with the rcbs
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/12/2008 at 14:03
I used the ballance beam since the early 70s but Christmas a year ago my son gave me a RCBS digital powder dispenser with digital scale. There is an enormous difference this is so much faster and accuracy is exceptionally good.  I wouldnt want to go back but I'm not about to toss out the old proven equipment either.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/14/2008 at 04:06
Ah hell!! The older I get the more precious "time" is.

I guess I'll be getting the RCBS Chargemaster, is it??    
Looks to be about $300...I might as well get that AND a Kahles off the Sample List........Peeker  Stiring%20The%20Pot

If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic