OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Firearms
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Cryoed Barrels

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ARBOB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Cryoed Barrels
    Posted: January/09/2008 at 19:32
Any one have any experience with cyroed barrels?Is it worth the money to get it done?Was thinking of having a barrel done but i'm not sure it adds anything to the gun like they claim.
“There are hundreds of millions of gun owners in this country.The only misuse of guns comes in environments where there are drugs, alcohol, bad parents, and undisciplined children. Period.”TED NUGENT
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/09/2008 at 20:31
I had it done to one rifle, and I honestly can't say it made any difference that I can tell. 

I'm not saying it doesn't work -- I don't know if it works or not.  It's a pretty controversial topic, and to my knowledge, there has been no conclusive proof of its benefits.  There is much disagreement even among custom barrel makers as to whether or not it provides any benefit.  I know Krieger uses the process and claims that it helps improve machinability of the steel, but makes no claims about improved accuracy because of it.  Other barrel makers I'm aware of have either stated they are skeptical about it or have dismissed it altogether.  Lilja, for example, addresses this question on their website:

Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
silver View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/09/2008 at 21:11
It is a part of heat treatment..., but in reverse.  It can help some stuff.  If it is used to get the extra stresses out of the piece of stock before it is machined, then it will help more.

It's kinda like when guys triple heat treat knives for a longer lasting edge.  The thing is after that hole is cut, then you do not want to risk warpage by heat treatment, let alone other machining.  The risk is to great because of the value added.  So a cold treatment is as close as you can get.  The results all depend on the stresses in the barrel.
"If we weren't all crazy we, We would go insane."   Jimmie Buffet

WWW.formitch.com

Focus View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master
Conquistador!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Focus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/10/2008 at 07:38
I'm unconvinced of its accuracy claims, if the grain of the metal is going opposite to the rifling and the resulting stress effects accuracy..... I'm totally unconvinced the treatment will actually change anything enough to save the barrels performance. Bench shooters can go through a pile of barrels finding a hummer and I believe the hummers aren't created after the machining and rifling processes are over, I think they start when the steel is being rolled out and continue from there.

Focus

Edited by Focus - January/10/2008 at 07:41
I Can See Clearly Now......<><

If Accurate rifles Are Interesting.....I've Got Some Savages That Are Getting Mighty Interesting......
cyborg View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Gaseous Clay

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cyborg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/10/2008 at 07:57
What I can tell you is based largely on swords, but in some ways may be useful pertaining to rifle barrels.
The metal is heated and cryogenically cooled two or three times. The result is a stronger, harder and less brittle steel blade. It stands to reason that, harder and less brittle would be great benefits to the rifle barrel, since longevity could be increased.
You should bear in mind though, that should you do some serious shooting and consequently heat the barrel up too much, you will have then lost any benefit that the treatment would have given you.
With Freedom comes great responsibility, you cannot have one without the other

An armed public are citizens. A disarmed public are subjects.

OATH KEEPER #8233 Support us, and join our cause.

Cyborg
Dolphin View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dolphin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/10/2008 at 08:12
No experience.  I have only read what rifledude has read on various barrel maker websites.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic