OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

LONG range rifle scope

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Treestand56 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: LONG range rifle scope
    Posted: January/09/2008 at 13:32
I'm currently building up a Remington 700 in 300 Win Mag for some long range shooting and hunting. I would like a scope that is capable of being reliable out to 800-1,000+ yards. I would like something with at least 16X power but preferably more and possibly a 30mm tube with target knobs. My budget is $400-$700, no more. I am not going to mention any brands or models as I want your opinions for what you think would be best. Thanks for your helpfulness.

Treestand
cyborg View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Gaseous Clay

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cyborg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/09/2008 at 14:01
The Millett TRS-1 is an option.
Burris makes a Black Diamond that has target knobs and costs around 740.00.
Look on the sample list as well.
Bear in mind that 10x will get you to 1000yrds with no problem, and this will open up more possibilties as well. The SuperSniper 10x42 would be excellent. and the price is great.
Good luck

Edited by cyborg - January/09/2008 at 14:03
With Freedom comes great responsibility, you cannot have one without the other

An armed public are citizens. A disarmed public are subjects.

OATH KEEPER #8233 Support us, and join our cause.

Cyborg
Focus View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master
Conquistador!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Focus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/09/2008 at 14:21
Bushnell tactical 6x24 30mm side focus target knobs. Comes in well below your budget with lifetime warranty and even rainguard.....or 6.5x20x50 conquest with target knobs but you have to do some shopping and take a demo model to stay under your budget price.

Focus

I Can See Clearly Now......<><

If Accurate rifles Are Interesting.....I've Got Some Savages That Are Getting Mighty Interesting......
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/09/2008 at 14:39
If you choose to you go with that Bushnell or Zeiss  make sure to get a 20 MOA base.  http://www.kenfarrell.com/REM-7L-1-20.html?id=ooomyNgu The both only have a max of 50 MOA of total adjustment and you will not be able to make 1000 yards with out it.  With a 300 you will need around 30 MOA to get there depending on other variables.  If you go any higher than a 20 MOA you will not be able to get a 100 yard zero.  Neither of those scopes is the best choice for a long range scope because of their lack of adjustment, but for your price range it will be hard to find something much better than one of those.

Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
Treestand56 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Treestand56 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/09/2008 at 16:45
The Bushnell 4200 is often suggested but years ago they used to be a lower grade scope. Are they that good? I really like the Conquest but it is a little more than what I can afford.  Little surprised that the Leupolds and Nikons have not been mentioned.
Treestand56 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Treestand56 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/09/2008 at 16:48
Am I asking for trouble by getting something off of the sample list? Do they still have good warranties?
Duce View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/09/2008 at 16:53
Nikon Monarch   with mil-dot in a 6-20 power at $419
Leaves enough for a good set of mounts and a Soldierpicatinney rail , if you call SWFA they can probably supply everything you need with only one shipping bill.

DuceBig%20Grin

Duce
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/09/2008 at 16:58
Leupolds are over rated and over priced.  Can't say anything about Nikons as I have no experience with them.  My Bushnell 4200 looks better to me than my Leupold LX 3, bushnell makes a great scope for the money.
You could take a look at a Meopta. 
 http://www.swfa.com/pc-9100-1134-new-meopta-4-16x44-meostar-r1-30mm-rifle-scope.aspx
 I have not tried this particular scope, but I have several Meopta products and my experience with them has been very positive.  They use the same glass company that Zeiss and IOR uses.  The glass is a big step up from bushnell in my opinion.  My Meopta products have proved very durable and I enjoy using them.

Edited by supertool73 - January/09/2008 at 17:06
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/09/2008 at 17:02
Originally posted by Treestand56 Treestand56 wrote:

Little surprised that the Leupolds and Nikons have not been mentioned.

You rang??
Wink

Still under review by me, but this scope for $450.00 would serve you well, I think. I have this scope but with a BDC reticle.
Really nice features like good glass, 4" fixed eye relief, 4x zoom, 4-16x, Mil Dot, side focus.
I don't think you could beat the new Monarch with all it's goodies for the price, my friend.

As stated, you will need some "help" with these 1" tubes that have been suggested.
I would like to encourage you to get the 20 MOA rail that supertool recommended (or similar) and leave it on your rifle.

Scopes come and go and you may have one with lots of "up" like a Super Sniper, or one with less elevation like the 4200 or Monarchs, but the 20 MOA rail can stay attached to the weapon. The extra elevation is there if you need it and won't hinder you if you don't.

Welcome to The OT!  

EDIT:
You can supposedly get the taller target turrets from Nikon if you don't want the low profile jobs.

Edited by cheaptrick - January/09/2008 at 17:07
If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
Duce View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/09/2008 at 17:49
The new Millett LRS-1 will be available in a few months it is a 6 to 25 power with a lot of vertical adjustment if it is as good as the TRS scopes it should be a good long distance scope for the money and the rings compe with the scope.

Duce
Duce
RobDoh View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RobDoh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/09/2008 at 21:31
www.supersniper.com Lots of reviews and test.  They are $299 for the 16x and 20x. I had a $500 Leupold and gave it to my dad after I bought my supersniper. I have a friend who shoots out to 800 yards with his 10x and has had it for 4 or 5 years and has not had any problems.  I did lots of research and am very happy with mine. 
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/10/2008 at 10:59
I'd recommend the 10X or 16X super sniper - it will do everything you need and do it very well.

The Bushnell ain't bad but, as said previously, will require a canted base to get you to 1,000 yards.

You don't want a Conquest for that application.

For what you have outlined, I'd go with the Supersniper.  If you want to spend a little more, get the Bushnell.  I haven't done much with the Millett  but I looked through one and was somewhat suprised - it ain't bad.

The sample list is safe, but check on warranties before you order. 

The supersniper is a great scope at a great price.  And, a note of caution: don't skimp on mounts and rings.  I recommend Badger, others will have something else to say, but get good stuff.
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
treemanc View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote treemanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/12/2008 at 22:35
  supertool73 mentioned a site called ken farrell.com for 20 m.o.a. rings i have a ruger 77 whitch they have rings for but they are probably for 1" scopes can you get them for a 30mm scope on a ruger 77
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic