OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Firearms
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Stiff action remedies for my Ruger

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bricat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Stiff action remedies for my Ruger
    Posted: January/08/2008 at 22:00
Greetings Gents, I have a fairly new Ruger77 in 350 RM and the action on this thing is quite stiff and a little rough. It has never been fired yet. I've cycled it a few dozen times and that has helped a little but I was wondering if anyone had any helpful hints on how to loosen this baby up. Is this normal? am I just spoiled from my buttery smooth model 700 action? Thanks for any and all input, Bricat
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/08/2008 at 22:37
get some rem dry lube spray and squirt the race ways with it, but you are some what spoiled with the silky smooth m700 action, although my m77 isnt that bad. but its still not as smooth as my 673 or my m700

Edited by pyro6999 - January/08/2008 at 22:38
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Focus View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master
Conquistador!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Focus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/09/2008 at 09:50
I've always been partial to a small dab of STP on the raceways and lugs. Check the cocking ramps and smooth with some fine emery paper if needed also.

Focus
I Can See Clearly Now......<><

If Accurate rifles Are Interesting.....I've Got Some Savages That Are Getting Mighty Interesting......
Dolphin View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dolphin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/09/2008 at 12:40
I cannot recall, but is the bolt stainless or blued?  I would polish the raceways with fine grit sandpaper and move up to very fine grit with a buffing compound that can be obtained from brownells.  You can polish the chamber ramp the same way and both will turn out silky smooth and shiny as glass.  If they were blued, just re-blue them with BC permablue.  Follow their directions, even though I use alternate method, and you will not go wrong.  Do the same for the bolt.  If you have a buffing wheel, the job can go alot faster on the bold.  A fine brush wheel followed by a buffing wheel with compound can get you there fast, but I usually take 1200 or 2000 grit paper to it with compound and again it is as smooth as silk and looks like glass.  I have taken down many pieces that were blued or painted this way, of course starting with lower grit products when painted or scarred and it works very well.  If the bolt was blued, re-blue it.  Just make sure before you go to this trouble that there is no inherent problem with the rifle and that you are sure you just do not want to take it to the range and put a fair amount of rounds through it to see if it loosens up.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic