OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Firearms
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

High-end .243

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ND2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: High-end .243
    Posted: January/08/2008 at 21:46
Earlier I posted looking for some info on a mid-range .243 and got some good advice.  I'm curious regarding opinions if I decided I wanted to spend $1,000+.  I'm guessing Sako, Cooper, Steyr, maybe Kimber...

Would appreciate any suggestions.  Bolt-action preferred.

ND2000
You either get what you pay for or what you deserve.
bricat View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bricat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/08/2008 at 21:52
I know I would like to get a sako for myself in 6.5x55.
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/08/2008 at 22:40
i dont think you can get a cooper 52 for a $1000 and it may be pushing it on the kimber as well depending on how fancy you go sako makes a fine rifle, im not sure you can get a .243 in the cooper 52 though, it looks like its a long action rifle only

Edited by pyro6999 - January/09/2008 at 09:09
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
martin3175 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote martin3175 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/09/2008 at 06:45
Weatherby Mark V ....Accumark if weight isn't an issue, otherwise a lightweight or sporter ...guaranteed accuracy and a short bolt lift ...I have never seen one that doesn't shoot as advertised

Edited by martin3175 - January/09/2008 at 06:59
Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/09/2008 at 08:47
the cooper would be more fun, since its a single shot, have them make it with a fast twist to stabalize heavier 6mm bullets in the 110 gr. VLD type. You could then seat the bullets out longer than an ordinary short action, and would be one heck of a long range gun. If you wanted to go even higher, use a stiller or surgeon in their hunter mcmillian stocks. Or if you want a light weight carry. check out the NULAs (new ultra light action)
Dolphin View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dolphin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/09/2008 at 12:27
A stiller or surgeon action would blow the budget right there, considering the need for the other components.  Would be nice.  I would have to agree with martin.  Even a Vanguard sub-moa.  The new Sako 85 has that cheesy recoil lug that is short and mates to an even cheesier stamped metal plate that is held in place by two wood screws and of course the wooden stock.  There also has been some issues with with the CRF action and the sloppiness in the gun-tests review.  It could have just been their rifle.
Dolphin View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dolphin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/09/2008 at 12:32
Also consider a Steyr Mannlicher Classic half stock or Ultra Lite Walnut from CDNN at 1299.  Austrian made.  Fine rifles.  Another choice on a higher end, would be a Mauser, from the real Mauser people.  Have you even thought about a Remington.  They make a fine rifle also.
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/09/2008 at 12:49
cooper has a 3 shot 1/2" group guarantee as well, but there price is more than i would be able to afford but the stocks they have are beautiful
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Dolphin View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dolphin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/09/2008 at 12:56
Originally posted by pyro6999 pyro6999 wrote:

cooper has a 3 shot 1/2" group guarantee as well, but there price is more than i would be able to afford but the stocks they have are beautiful
That they are beautiful.
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/09/2008 at 18:10
ND2000, of those you mention, only the Kimber will fall under your $1000 limit, and only if you get the standard "Classic" model, which goes for about $900.  All the other rifles you mention are $1200 and up.  I just bought a Kimber 84M in .260 a couple weeks ago, but in the "Classic Select" grade, which has the upgraded wood.  It cost just a shade over your budget, but not too far from it.  It is a beautiful little rifle, not only due to its gorgeous wood, but also its fit and finish and overall lines!  As soon as I find time to take a pic of it, I will post one.

Coopers are undoubtedly beautiful, with accuracy to match their beauty, but again, you aren't likely to find one for under $1K, at least not new.

If you're willing to shop around for some used rifles, you may be able to find all of the ones you mention priced within your budget on online sites like gunsamerica.com and gunbroker.com.

Dale, though most Cooper bolt actions are single shots, the new 52 sporter is a magazine repeater.
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/09/2008 at 18:13
I think the 52s are only in 2506,270,280 and 30-06
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/09/2008 at 18:41
Originally posted by Dale Clifford Dale Clifford wrote:

I think the 52s are only in 2506,270,280 and 30-06

Ah, yes, you are correct.  The 52 is only available in long action.  The M22 action is the only one available in .243 at present, and they are single shots.
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
Dolphin View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dolphin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/10/2008 at 08:15
Originally posted by RifleDude RifleDude wrote:

ND2000, of those you mention, only the Kimber will fall under your $1000 limit, and only if you get the standard "Classic" model, which goes for about $900.  All the other rifles you mention are $1200 and up.  I just bought a Kimber 84M in .260 a couple weeks ago, but in the "Classic Select" grade, which has the upgraded wood.  It cost just a shade over your budget, but not too far from it.  It is a beautiful little rifle, not only due to its gorgeous wood, but also its fit and finish and overall lines!  As soon as I find time to take a pic of it, I will post one.

Coopers are undoubtedly beautiful, with accuracy to match their beauty, but again, you aren't likely to find one for under $1K, at least not new.

If you're willing to shop around for some used rifles, you may be able to find all of the ones you mention priced within your budget on online sites like gunsamerica.com and gunbroker.com.

Dale, though most Cooper bolt actions are single shots, the new 52 sporter is a magazine repeater.
Ted, he wants to spend 1000+.
Dolphin View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dolphin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/10/2008 at 08:19
The rifle in my avatar is a semi-custom 243 built off of a Parker Hale action that has been trued with a semi-custom stock and a vx-II leupold scope.  Shoots 1/2 inch groups at 100 yards or better with handloads.  Well over 100 hours of work put into it.  I could consider selling it, but it would definately be 1000+.  It has been hunted, put would bring it back to shape, if you were really interested.
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/10/2008 at 18:28
Originally posted by Dolphin Dolphin wrote:

Ted, he wants to spend 1000+.

How much "+" are you willing to go, ND2000? 
Ted

ND2000 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ND2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/10/2008 at 20:37
Well, I guess I would go to about $1,800 or so if I thought I was really getting something really special.  I don't want to put more than $2,500 in total into the setup and I've already got the scope picked out.

I was disappointed to hear the Cooper M22s are single shots. 

Thanks much for the responses.

ND2000
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/10/2008 at 20:53
im going to tell you that if you are willing to spend that kind of coin on a rifle buy a nicer kimber.
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/10/2008 at 21:43
Originally posted by ND2000 ND2000 wrote:

Well, I guess I would go to about $1,800 or so if I thought I was really getting something really special. 
ND2000

You can certainly get something REALLY special for $1800!  I'd recommend checking out gunsamerica.com and gunbroker.com, because they have pics of the rifles so you can check out things like wood quality.
Ted

pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/10/2008 at 21:56
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
ND2000 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ND2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/11/2008 at 11:39
Thank you gentlemen.  One of the 84Ms just might be the ticket for me.  I'll post a picture of the setup if/when I get there.

ND2000
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic