OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rimfire / Airgun
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Airgun Question

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ghost82 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Airgun Question
    Posted: January/08/2008 at 17:46
I was not sure where i should post this really but i figure i would get a better responce here.  Me and my son are really getting into the airgun hunting thing and im just curious if anyone can make any reccomendations on what ammo would be best for small game.  I bought some of the Gamo Magnum Lead pellets and the Gamo PBA Raptor pellets that they have boasted about a great deal on the net .  Both ammo types seem to do great as far as accuracy is concerned and penetration is about the same.  If anyone has any good stories i'd love to hear em. We are hunting squirrel mostly, the caliber is .177
tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/08/2008 at 19:20
I have had very good luck with both the Beeman Kodiak and the JSB Diablo Exact. I use 5mm and .22 for hunting and they are very accurate. They both put critters from squirrel to coon down for good. If you try them in .177 I would try the Exact Heavy at 10.2 grains or the Kodiak extra heavy @ 10.6 gr. The heavier pellets will give you better penetration and squirrel hides are tough.
ghost82 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ghost82 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/08/2008 at 23:23
I looked at the two you metioned and i am going to try the Kodiaks.  Im only shooting 1000 FPS, do you think that would be sufficient to accelerate such a heavy pellet.  The Gamo Raptor i've been shooting is 5.5 i think, and the Gamo magnum is around 8.5.
Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/09/2008 at 08:30
only have a light target Diana m24, but tried everything on dog food poaching magpies, best in this gun is RWS R10, with the flat wadcutter face and extra wt. they will do the numbers on birds to around 50 yds, will providing excellent accuracy for those long range 9mm empty case shoots.
ghost82 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ghost82 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/09/2008 at 11:53
We'll so far im not having luck with the ammo i bought, picked up the Beemans about an hour ago at my local shop.  I cant get consistant grops with anything other than crossman brand.  Im starting to think the gun just sucks.  I'd say user error but i pride myself as a pretty good shot.  Me and my son each got a daisy 1000s rifle.  100 bucks at walmart.  Dale is Diana the same as RWS?  Those guns get really good reviews, just dont know if i wanna drop 400 bucks on an air rifle when i've got several .17's and .22's here at the house.  What about Gamo as well, some of their rifles get really good reviews.  By the way thanks for all the input.
mazkbrown View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mazkbrown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/01/2008 at 18:11
Hi:

You must find what brand of ammo is the best for your airgun, because 2 identical airgun can work fine with the same ammo. When you find the right ammo for yor airgun, then buy that brand only. You must try all brands until find those who work fine.
mazkbrown View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mazkbrown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/01/2008 at 18:14
Originally posted by mazkbrown mazkbrown wrote:

Hi:

You must find what brand of ammo is the best for your airgun, because 2 identical airgun CAN´T work fine with the same ammo. When you find the right ammo for yor airgun, then buy that brand only. You must try all brands until find those who work fine.
airheaded View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote airheaded Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/25/2008 at 23:29

Great getting off on air with your son.  You will find a wealth of info about air gun ballistics specific to individual pellets shot from individually selected airguns at:

The site helps us understand that wrt hunting especially a particular minimum power level airgun should be used.  For the majority of airguns sold are designed for target plinking and not pelt pinching.  If you have an air rifle in .177 that truly propels a lead (not synthetic) pellet of standard weight at 800+ fps (at muzzle) then you have a sufficiently powerful rifle for CLOSE range squirrel size varmits (10-20 yards absolute max.)  Pellets range greatly in design, weight and intended use.  I would suggest you stick with middle weight designs as your 1000fps gun likely only propels light synthetic raptor-like projectiles to that velocity... and would propel a middle weight lead pellet at something more like 750 fps.  The trick in the humane kill is accurate delivery of POWER by marksmanship combined with a pellet selection optimized for its design and weight.  If you had a more powerful airgun I would suggest the Beeman Crow Magnum.  But for your medium powered air rifle you should have accurate and deadly success at 10-20 yd. with something like RWS hollow points or superdome pellets.  Beeman Silver Bear hollow or FTS (field target specials) would do nicely too.  Jump over to sharpshooters.com and get some education...like this, its a great site. - have fun with your son., charlie.
airheaded View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote airheaded Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/25/2008 at 23:41
Oh yeah, about the Diana/RWS question...
You know, I ordered an RWS M-350 from a site.  I only found a Diana site over the net that listed an M-350 as a product they manufactured.  So RWS and Diana appear for all practical purposes to be one and the same.  My guess is that RWS is the American distributor of Diana manufactured air rifles.  For the record, Diana shows ballistics that are lower than RWS touts for the same models... one reason for this is that some of the european countries do not allow magnum powered air rifle velocities to be sold in their particular countries.  So it appears that Diana changes mainsprings, etc. selling higher powered models to the American citizens and castrating those sold to citizens of german and other european countries.
For hunting, you couldn't ask for a better power/quality/accuracy and price than the RWS/Diana M350 or M460 Magnums.  Sweet power in the 20-22 ft/lb category.  Expect lead pellets leaving the long barrels at 775-875 fps and retaining 600fps out at 30 yd.  That will do the job at .22 cal!
airheaded View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote airheaded Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/26/2008 at 00:19

You've asked for a story so here goes a few:  My brother has an RWS/Diana M460 magnum air rifle I ordered for him several months ago.  He routinely fires hundreds and hundreds of rounds from his .223 AR15 and .40 cal glock (among other firearms.)  I was delighted one day when he called to tell me he had set up a 1/4" piece of fresh 5 layer plywood up 50 yards (yep, half a football field) from his M460 airgun.  Using a middle weight RWS hollow point lead pellet he popped off several rounds.  He was amazed to find that every round blasted through the 1/4" plywood..clear through.  50 yards!  So will that do at the more accurately placed 25yd squirrel shot?  Duh.  Yeah, you CAN hunt with a magnum air rifle with confidence - just don't forget accuracy and reasonable limits; kill or don't shoot.

Myself?  I have the RWS/Diana M350... an equally powerful magnum air rifle you can find for around $350 plus shipping.  I shot it today for instance...targeting a paper target 30 yd away I drilled 1" deep holes in the 15" dia fresh green tree trunk backing the paper target.  Tell me that wouldn't penetrate a squirrel skin at 30 yd.  No, don't.
airheaded View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote airheaded Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/26/2008 at 10:10
Note (from Airheaded):
All of my comments regarding the limitations of airgun power, pellet selection and accuracy are given keeping in mind the humane hunt.  To go outdoors and randomly select living creatures to merely test a weapon or one's marksmanship is not only shallow minded but morally irresponsible.  While these creatures can not recite the Constitution, they DO have a thought life (and sometimes responsibilities their own)... albiet a life WE are never likely to understand.  Historically, man hunts for a reason.  Don't be punks gentlemen.  Don't go out with your .177 cal. medium power air rifle and pop a crow several times from 35 yards trying to stop it from screaming and flopping around then expect people to applaud.  I placed the 10-20 yd. hunting limit of medium powered .177 cal. lead for a reason... I did not say a small critter could not be hammered with hardballs from 35 yd. long enough for one to find a soft spot.  If a hostile human criminal should be stopped with unquestionably adequate weapon selection and marksmanship, why wouldn't an innocent animal deserve at least equally humane treatment in its final demise?  So, my point is that we should try never to overestimate the limits of our marksmanship or weapon... ESPECIALLY during a kill.  If you question whether your projectile will instantly (10s or less) incapacitate your target, find another target.  Don't be a punk.  I recall numerous times in my childhood that I randomly doomed useless living targets with a bb rifle (after numerous hits) - but at least I finally grew up!  I have a respect for life now and an understanding of a hunt's goal.  -Thanks for your ear folks.
Vince- 12yrs. old View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vince- 12yrs. old Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/06/2008 at 18:13
Hello. I am Vince's mom and I choose to respond to you because Vince does alot of squirrell hunting and I thought maybe he could help you somewhat. He hunts with a pellet gun, and me being ignort about such things, I cannot tell you anymore than that. I actually signed Vince up because he had a question about his scope, and I came across this web sight trying to find his answer. He has a BSA R3-7X20 scope and he wants to know how far each click moves it left to right and up and down. If you can help him at all, please respond. I thank you.
Vince
tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/06/2008 at 20:52
Adjustments are 1/2 inch per click.
http://www.bsaoptics.com/scope.aspx?product=82
airheaded View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote airheaded Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/07/2008 at 00:04

Trust%20MeMost scopes state 1/4" MOA per click..I see this model is 1/2"MOA/click according to manufacturer's specification.  But there is a lot more to it...

Consider that riflescope MOA's are typically stated with reference to a 100 yd. target.  That's number one.  Well that would suggest that one click would produce an even smaller point of impact change at the smaller targeting distance of 10-30yds common to air rifle target shooting.  To further complicate the issue, the 1/4" MOA suggested specification touted by all the scope manufacturers is completely dependent on the ballistics and velocity of the ammunition!  This TINY 1/4" per click at 100yd brag could only be achieved with extremely high velocity, high ballistic coeficient ammunition from a FIREarm...not an airgun.

Expect MUCH bigger movement of the point of impact per click than this 1/2"/click states.  How much bigger is totally dependent upon the DISTANCE you sight the scope at, the power of your rifle, and the characteristic ballistic coeficient of the particular pellet you use to "sight in" your scope.  I won't go into the REAL proper way to sight in your scope...it involves initial zeroing of the scope and the mount.  Lets not get into that with a 12 year old.  I suggest you just mount the scope on the rifle.  Secure the mounting screws tightly.  Then set up a target about 10 yd. away.  Use a steady table/bench and cushion  arrangement to steady the barrel...  support the barrel with the cushion and avoid touching this barrel end.  Slowly squeeze off several pellets and see where they hit.  Then turn the turret adjustments very gradually..just a click or two in the direction you wish the point of impact to move.  Don't be surprised if it moves more or less than 1/2"...it ain't rocket science.

280shooter View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 280shooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/21/2009 at 19:24
I have a RWS  modle 45, I bought that in1980.and I tried all sorts of dif. pellets, I  found for my rifle the RWS power points work best in mine, I have one shot kills on ground hogs, out to 30 yards,lots  and lots of tree rats, and bunnys. I killed a crow this fall with one shot from the top of a high pine tree..one shot it was dead before it hit the ground,

I had takin all the sights off of it, way back whenI first  bought it,and  tried using the rail system that came with the gun, same as you have on a 22, the recoil  was so hard on this all it would do is force the rings right off the front,so I took the clamp rail off n put a high power rail  on it. with the big time clamp rings, the scoped stayed.I had a old tasco 22 scope on it for years, i would keep zerro well.I took that off and bought a BSA air rifle scope.with the AO on the front of the scope.I'll have to say ,im inpressed  with the BSA,But then againn  its made for air rifles,and if ur using a springer, you know how they can kill a reg scope real  fast,
TRIXSTA View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRIXSTA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/06/2009 at 17:59
Originally posted by airheaded airheaded wrote:

Great getting off on air with your son.  You will find a wealth of info about air gun ballistics specific to individual pellets shot from individually selected airguns at:

The site helps us understand that wrt hunting especially a particular minimum power level airgun should be used.  For the majority of airguns sold are designed for target plinking and not pelt pinching.  If you have an air rifle in .177 that truly propels a lead (not synthetic) pellet of standard weight at 800+ fps (at muzzle) then you have a sufficiently powerful rifle for CLOSE range squirrel size varmits (10-20 yards absolute max.)  Pellets range greatly in design, weight and intended use.  I would suggest you stick with middle weight designs as your 1000fps gun likely only propels light synthetic raptor-like projectiles to that velocity... and would propel a middle weight lead pellet at something more like 750 fps.  The trick in the humane kill is accurate delivery of POWER by marksmanship combined with a pellet selection optimized for its design and weight.  If you had a more powerful airgun I would suggest the Beeman Crow Magnum.  But for your medium powered air rifle you should have accurate and deadly success at 10-20 yd. with something like RWS hollow points or superdome pellets.  Beeman Silver Bear hollow or FTS (field target specials) would do nicely too.  Jump over to sharpshooters.com and get some education...like this, its a great site. - have fun with your son., charlie.

I dis agree,im in uk and 12ft/ibs is the limit and 177 runs at around 700fps and i can take squirrels and rabbit out to 50 yard depending on wind.
try air arms and jsb pellets mate,one of them is guaranteed to work.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic