OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Mounts & Accessories > Rings and bases
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Extra high rings or riser and lower rings

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ARBOB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Extra high rings or riser and lower rings
    Posted: January/08/2008 at 14:55
I am fitting my new ar15 with a scope,from looking and asking around it looks like I need an extra high or high ring to get proper the height I need.Would it be better to get extra high rings or standard rings and a riser?  
“There are hundreds of millions of gun owners in this country.The only misuse of guns comes in environments where there are drugs, alcohol, bad parents, and undisciplined children. Period.”TED NUGENT
Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/08/2008 at 15:08
either way is workable, but if going only rings the extra-extra high necessary precludes there use down the road on another project, as they are dedicated to ar type guns. personally I don't like the "post" look and prefer risers.
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/08/2008 at 15:17
If you are putting on a 30mm scope these rings a perfect height. 
http://www.swfa.com/pc-6521-123-arms-22h-throw-lever-30mm-rings.aspx

I have put them on several ARs and they are very high quality and return you to zero when you take them off.
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
ARBOB View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ARBOB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/08/2008 at 15:31
It's a nikon 4-16x42 scope on a flat top AR.I was told by someone to get standard rings and a riser,my thinking is the more pieces I add to get the desired hieght the better the chance of something going wrong ie:Something coming lose ect,ect?
“There are hundreds of millions of gun owners in this country.The only misuse of guns comes in environments where there are drugs, alcohol, bad parents, and undisciplined children. Period.”TED NUGENT
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/08/2008 at 15:40
These are just the right height as well and are a descent ring.
http://www.swfa.com/pc-11390-1747-warne-maxima-permanent-attach-1-rings.aspx
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/08/2008 at 15:48
more the pieces in this case doesn't result in less stability, but give much more control over the final overall ht. . a magpul adjustable stock and the risers will allow for more uses, such as prone and off hand. brownells have about any riser ht, as well as the most of the tactic cool web sites
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/08/2008 at 16:55
Originally posted by Dale Clifford Dale Clifford wrote:

more the pieces in this case doesn't result in less stability, but give much more control over the final overall ht. . a magpul adjustable stock and the risers will allow for more uses, such as prone and off hand. brownells have about any riser ht, as well as the most of the tactic cool web sites

I gotta agree, adding a riser is no different than adding a base on most rifles.  Sure they can come loose, but if you put blue lock tite on them and torque them properly it is not likely.  One big advantage to some risers is you can get them that are canted so if you have a scope that does not have much elevation it allows you to reach out and touch something at longer ranges.

ARBOB View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ARBOB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/08/2008 at 19:54
Thanks for the help it is greatly appreciated!!!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic