OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Firearms
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

17 mach2

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dolphin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 17 mach2
    Posted: January/08/2008 at 13:49
I love my CZ 452 mach 2, but it drifts in the wind like nothing I have ever seen before.  In a 5-10mph cross wind, at 100 yards, it drifts 2 inches easy.  In contrast, my Savage 93, without an acccutrigger in a 17 hmr, drifts very little in the same wind.  I know that is something that I would expect, but to see it is actually occur is interesting after shooting much larger caliber and faster moving projectiles.  Not a great varmint caliber when the wind is moving.  Anyone else have similar results?
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/08/2008 at 13:54
That is good info to have.  I was just toying with buying a conversion for my 10/22.  Now I may stick with my .223
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
ND2000 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ND2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/08/2008 at 13:56
Dolphin -

That is one of the big reasons I went with a .22 (I also have a CZ 452 -- Silhouette).  It was not personal experience but a very good friend of mine has what you have and reported the same thing.  He loves it when calm but also reports drift...

ND2000
You either get what you pay for or what you deserve.
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/08/2008 at 14:02
you would also see this in the 17 remington as well as im sure the 17 fireball, i hunted coyotes with a guy in wyoming who used the 17 remington and it was an awesome coyote round out to about 300yds, if the wind was blowing he would either not shoot or leave it at home and bring another rifle. thats one of the reasons i used the .243 for a coyote rifle.
the 17hmr has a little more behind it than the mach2 does which may help explain why it doesnt drift as much.
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/08/2008 at 14:27
Yes, I have noticed the same thing, Dolphin.  The little .17 caliber, 17 grain pill is easily blown off course.  But, I still love the little cartridge because it's just so fun to shoot!  On the plus side, when the wind isn't blowing too badly, it's way more accurate than a typical .22LR... or, at least mine is, and it certainly has a greater effective range than the .22.  However, at best, it's still a short range rimfire round, intended for squirrel and rabbit sized game.
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/08/2008 at 15:20
SO has anyone shot a coyote with one of these rounds?  A guy on another forum claims he shot a coyote at 560 yards with a 17hrm.  That one made me raise my eyebrows, but I really know nothing about them.  Balistically it don't make much sense to me.
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

Focus View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master
Conquistador!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Focus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/08/2008 at 15:20
Theres nothing worse than a 22 caliber projectile in the crosswind.....except a smaller than 22 caliber projectile in a crosswind.....These words from a wise old long range varmint shooter have always kept me from pulling the trigger on a 17 or 20 caliber varmint piece. Here where I live you get a couple really calm days a year....

Focus
I Can See Clearly Now......<><

If Accurate rifles Are Interesting.....I've Got Some Savages That Are Getting Mighty Interesting......
Dolphin View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dolphin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/08/2008 at 16:52
Originally posted by supertool73 supertool73 wrote:

SO has anyone shot a coyote with one of these rounds?  A guy on another forum claims he shot a coyote at 560 yards with a 17hrm.  That one made me raise my eyebrows, but I really know nothing about them.  Balistically it don't make much sense to me.
Thats a tall tale.
Dolphin View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dolphin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/08/2008 at 16:54
Originally posted by RifleDude RifleDude wrote:

Yes, I have noticed the same thing, Dolphin.  The little .17 caliber, 17 grain pill is easily blown off course.  But, I still love the little cartridge because it's just so fun to shoot!  On the plus side, when the wind isn't blowing too badly, it's way more accurate than a typical .22LR... or, at least mine is, and it certainly has a greater effective range than the .22.  However, at best, it's still a short range rimfire round, intended for squirrel and rabbit sized game.
Yeah, I really love both of my 17s cause they are fun to shoot.  The report is subdued and the rifles are light weight and no recoil.
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/08/2008 at 16:56
at almost 600 yds there wouldnt be enough behind it to penetrate the skin i bet!
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
furboom View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote furboom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/08/2008 at 17:03
 I don't know what a .17 will do out to 600yds.  I have taken hogs out past 200yds.  so far only one has been able to run off, she went about 40yds then gave it up.
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/08/2008 at 17:07
i wouldnt shoot a coyote at 600 with a 22-250
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
helo18 View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote helo18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/08/2008 at 18:32
I wouldn't try shooting a coyote at anything past 100yds.  Not enough energy, but they sure make a mess of gophers and prarie dogs.  And they are fun to shoot.  Other than small varmit (smaller than a coyote) they aren't much good.  A 22-250 is a great round though.
To be prepared for War is one of the most effectual means of preserving peace.

GEORGE WASHINGTON
RONK View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/08/2008 at 21:16

What are the heaviest bullets in .17 that are available to handloaders who have centerfire .17s ?
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/08/2008 at 21:24
25gr i think
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
medic52 View Drop Down
Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote medic52 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/09/2008 at 12:16
I have two 17 HMR's that I love to PD Hunt with. I have killed a few coyotes with them, but they are not my coyote hunting gun. Every yote that I have shot DRT. The best shot about 135 yrds in the head. Closes 60 yrds.
"The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him." G.K. Chesterton
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/09/2008 at 12:26
I have a hard time believing a 17 gr bullet could even go 560 yards.  300 seems to me to be pushing it.  

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic