OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Need Bushnell Advice

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Focus View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master
Conquistador!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Focus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Need Bushnell Advice
    Posted: January/08/2008 at 15:01
8 shot, the internal light dampening or stray light dampening coatings aren't really the same as lens coatings but are important coatings none the less. The 4200 is really hard to beat and rainguard makes it a better deal yet. Can't see to shoot what water or fog keeps you from seeing.....

Focus
I Can See Clearly Now......<><

If Accurate rifles Are Interesting.....I've Got Some Savages That Are Getting Mighty Interesting......
Jeffery8mm View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeffery8mm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/08/2008 at 13:37
Big Squeeze, those lips really suck!! lol
Jeff
With proper care and maintainance, the human body will last a lifetime!
Big Squeeze View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
GOOGLE NINJA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Squeeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/08/2008 at 11:51
Medic!..............................Very well stated sir!.............Too bad we can`t get a % from Bushnell as spokesmen!!!Really%20Sad
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/08/2008 at 11:44
i dont think you would have much opposition here the 4200 is well received around here.
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeffery8mm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/08/2008 at 11:43
Thanks so much for the advice guys. I beleive the 4200 is the one.  The legend, as Dolphin said, will be my second choice when I need a good scope for a good price.
Also, I want to thank you all for keeping this a Bushnell thread and not a " I would buy this brand" thread.  I am sold on Bushnell!!!!
Thanks
Jeff
medic52 View Drop Down
Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote medic52 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/08/2008 at 11:15

What could be worse than missing a trophy in the field? Enough said. Enter the Bushnell Elite 4200 - Bushnell's top-of-the-line rifle scope. With 95% light transmission at 550nm and Bushnell's exclusive, hydrophobic Rainguard lens coating, this is, hands down, the brightest scope in the world. All optical lens surfaces are fully multi-coated for maximum light trnsmission and the sharpest image. The ultra-strong one-piece tube is hammer-forged from an aluminum and titanium alloy for 30% more strength than standard aluminum scopes. The Bushnell Elite 4200 is recoil tested to 10,000 rounds of a .375 H&H magnum. Bushnell Elite 4200 rifle scopes are built to deliver superior field performance. Period. News that seems to be traveling equally as fast.

"The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him." G.K. Chesterton
Dolphin View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dolphin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/08/2008 at 11:03
Depends on how much you want to spend.  The Legend is a fine scope.  I have the 3x9 50mm and it is crisp and clear and just slightly behind my Elite 4200 which cost 350 dollars more.  What is worth it?  Probably not.  The Legend is on a Zastavia .308 shooting handloads that overlap at 100 yards and the E/W adjusts as accurately as any scope that I own, regardless of cost.  The 40mm objective would be a fine scope.  I read somewhere that they were even tested with a 375 H&H magnum.  Cannot find that statement anymore.  I have decided that the Legend is going to be my go to scope when money is short, as well as the Sightron SI.  Other bargains outside of the Bushnell line are the Nikon Team Primos 3x9 at I think 216 dollars and the Sightron SII 3x9 42mm and 200 bucks, which is equal to the Nikon and Bushnell Elite 4200 and is a steal.
Big Squeeze View Drop Down
GOOGLE NINJA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Squeeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/08/2008 at 10:45
The "SQUEEZE" does it again!!!......Elite.............With a little help of course!!!!!Wink............Look at it this way! The more I post up, the more of those lucious lips you get to view!! ......Ya gotta just love them lips!!!!!  Love             Coffee time!Coffee
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/08/2008 at 10:28
I have the 3-9x40 4200 on my .357 lever gun and also have the 3-9x40 Legand on a .243.  Really there is no comparison.  I thought the Legend was great when I got it and really enjoyed shooting that rifle.  Then I got the 4200 and thought wow this is amazing.  Then I bought my first expensive euro optic and was like holy crap this is unbelievable. 
That is what is so great about the optic market.  You can spend $300 or $400 and get an pretty good scope that is bright clear and that you will actually enjoy looking through.  Or you can spend a whole wad of cash and get a scope that is so clear and bright that you cannot even tell you are looking through an optic. 

My opinion is for the money you can't beat that 3-9x 4200 it works great in low light and is very clear.  And about the whole 40 to 50mm thing.  40 is the way to go, you can mount it lower which allows you to get a better cheek weld.  Even at 9 power you will still have an exit pupil of 4.4mm.  That is bigger than the human pupil during day time.  At low light your ability to see distance is greatly reduced anyway, so you only need it on 4 or 5 power anyway. 
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
cyborg View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Gaseous Clay

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cyborg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/08/2008 at 10:01
There are manufacturers that multi coat all lenses, internal as well as external. Which is True fully multi-coated lenses. The cheaper manufacturers advertise fully multi-coated, which are only the external lens surfaces, this should read as multi-coated. They are getting away with this due to the trivialized definitions as to what is truly what.
I read this somewhere I wish I could remember where.
With Freedom comes great responsibility, you cannot have one without the other

An armed public are citizens. A disarmed public are subjects.

OATH KEEPER #8233 Support us, and join our cause.

Cyborg
8shots View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Lord Of The Flies

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8shots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/08/2008 at 09:26
Originally posted by cyborg cyborg wrote:

Coated atleast one layer to the exposed lens surface.
Fully coated atleast one layer to all lens surfaces.
Multi coated atleast two layers to the exposed surfaces.
Fully multi coated atleast two layers on all lens surfaces.

Full marks , Cyborg
  • Coated: A single layer is on at least one lens surface.
  • Fully-coated: A single layer is on all air-to-glass surfaces.
  • Fully multi-coated: Multiple layers are on all air-to-glass surfaces.

Sorry for the loaded question, but the reason I asked this was that I read in a book called Precision Shooting at 1000yds, that the writer states that fully multi-coated meant that not only was the lens surfaces coated, but also that the internal tube etc. was coated.

Just wondered if some-one else understood it like that.

Also sorry to highjack thread, but the opening question also asked about lens coatings, which got me thinking.
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/08/2008 at 09:21
its a nice scope i just put one on my new .264 win mag
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeffery8mm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/08/2008 at 09:10
I beleive I see a 4200 in the NEAR future!!
My Mod 70 30-06 will look good with that up there!!
Jeff
Focus View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master
Conquistador!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Focus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/08/2008 at 08:03
The larger objective will only let you use slightly MORE magnification in low light it will not make the scope brighter if you stay at your exit pupil size or lower. I'm totally spoiled by the 4200 elites, firefly while a nice feature doesn't mean nearly as much to me as the rainguard. Also remember......two scopes with full multi coating may 1. have differing quality and content coatings. 2. may have differing number of layers of coatings.
   Focus

Edited by Focus - January/08/2008 at 08:11
I Can See Clearly Now......<><

If Accurate rifles Are Interesting.....I've Got Some Savages That Are Getting Mighty Interesting......
ND2000 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ND2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/08/2008 at 07:42
In this day and age, don't even bother with anything less than FMC...
You either get what you pay for or what you deserve.
cyborg View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Gaseous Clay

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cyborg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/08/2008 at 07:38
Coated atleast one layer to the exposed lens surface.
Fully coated atleast one layer to all lens surfaces.
Multi coated atleast two layers to the exposed surfaces.
Fully multi coated atleast two layers on all lens surfaces.

Cyborg
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/08/2008 at 07:33
about $100
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
8shots View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Lord Of The Flies

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8shots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/08/2008 at 06:43
Can anyone enlighten us to the difference between coated, multi-coated and fully multi-coated scopes?

Edited by 8shots - January/08/2008 at 06:45
cyborg View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Gaseous Clay

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cyborg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/08/2008 at 06:23
4200Elite

Cyborg
martin3175 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote martin3175 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/07/2008 at 23:56
4200 Elite in the 3x9x40 is the way to go !!!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic