OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Firearms
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

.243 Sako Forester

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HuntMaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: .243 Sako Forester
    Posted: January/06/2008 at 17:50
Hey everyone,
I took a SAKO Forester .243 on trade for a scope at the Biloxi gun show this weekend. The dealer told me it was an early "pre-Garcia" Forester. I am going to sell it for $950.00 but was wondering how do you tell about "pre Garcia" ? And if it is an early model , would that make it more valuable ? The price will be the same no matter what, it is just curiosity.
Derek
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/06/2008 at 18:18
if it was made before 1972 its worth 25% more but thats all i know my book doesnt say much else
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/06/2008 at 21:28
does it have Bofors marked on the barrel?
HuntMaster View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HuntMaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/06/2008 at 21:44
Originally posted by Dale Clifford Dale Clifford wrote:

does it have Bofors marked on the barrel?

No , it doesn't .  Only text is Forester  made in Finnland ,and then Sako cal .243 with all the proof markings. It has a reddish-orange tint to the wood (really nice) a perfect trigger and hinged floorplate. I know a good deal about Finnwolfs but not this model.
Derek 
Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/06/2008 at 21:49

Does the receiver have a reddish tinge to it, like the Rugers made in the 60's and 70s ??

Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HuntMaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/06/2008 at 22:07
No, but slightly purple. And it has machining marks on the receiver which is typical on the few early SAKO's I have seen.
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HuntMaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/11/2008 at 21:57
The verdict is in. The Forester I have is a Garcia import. I found the text on the underside of the barrel. (so dim you hardly notice it.) I always thought the import markings were on the side of the barrel. Anyway, thanks guys for your input. If the rifle doesn't sell, it won't matter - it will make a really nice hand me down for the kids.Thunbs%20Up

Derek
hunterken8 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hunterken8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/20/2008 at 00:43
gracia pre it should say wc under barrel at top for one year finland used a place washington to ship around usa  send me picture hunterken8@yahoo.com
Ed Connelly View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
God of no Chihuahua

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed Connelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/20/2008 at 10:40
A Garcia Sako will have a faint address line on the bottom of the barrel--just ahead of the forearm--kind of looks like laser printing. It says GARCIA CORPORATION or something. You have to get it in the light to be able to see it.    Yep,%20Thought%20So   --Ed
hunterken8 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hunterken8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/20/2008 at 13:56
yes i own gracia ment it was ship from there for 1 year filand used them just that year so there worth more
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic