OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Everything Else > Almost Anything Goes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Alaska brown bear

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Alaska brown bear
    Posted: January/06/2008 at 14:49
http://www.adn.com/outdoors/v-gallery/story/256356.html?/1521/gallery/256357.html

Let me know when any of you are going bear hunting with a bow in Alaska I want to get pictures from a long distance like a mile or two. Oh and the Kodiak bears are bigger

Duce   Loco  Big%20Smile
Duce
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/06/2008 at 14:54
Shocked
If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/06/2008 at 14:59
Light%20It%20Up   no thanks
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
RONK View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/06/2008 at 20:37
 I should really go there and shoot one of those.  I need to re-carpet my living room and that one looks like the right size to do it with enough hide left over for a pair of mukluks!
Duce View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/07/2008 at 05:44
In the interview for the paper the guide said they carried the hide out in one piece and it weights 150 lbs. The bear comes in somewhere 1600 to 1800 lbs. The guide said he was glad he was in real good shape to haul all that out. The law in Alaska if you shoot it you haul it all out. I would wait till the bear got in the back of a pickup truck then shoot.

Duce Head%20Bang 
Duce
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/07/2008 at 12:30
Dayuuum, thats a BIG bear!
If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
lucznik View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucznik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/07/2008 at 15:39

Can you say Photoshop?...

What if the hokey pokey really is what it's all about?
Big Squeeze View Drop Down
GOOGLE NINJA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Squeeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/07/2008 at 16:12
Did they take that bear with a damn bow???????????? More risk than I would want or ask for!!............NO THANK YOU!!!!............I wonder if they even had a backup sidearm or rifle!!LocoLocoLocoLocoLocoLocoLocoLocoLocoLocoLocoLocoLocoLocoLocoLocoLocoWhackoWhackoWhackoWhackoWhackoWhackoWhackoWhackoWhackoWhackoWhackoWhacko  
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/07/2008 at 16:14
they had skunk, thats all they needed
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Duce View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/07/2008 at 16:23
No they took it with a rifle, two rifles actually the photos are from the Anchorage daily news paper bear section. I hope no one tries to take bears with a bow on Kodiak island with a bow they are plentiful there and can smell blood for a long ways even if you got one there may be a couple behind you.

Duce   Smile
Duce
Big Squeeze View Drop Down
GOOGLE NINJA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Squeeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/07/2008 at 16:48
I tinks that my .375 Ruger will do da twick on dem big baars!!!Oh%20Yea%20Baby
RONK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/07/2008 at 19:36
Originally posted by lucznik lucznik wrote:

Can you say Photoshop?...

Possible, but I don't think it is photoshopped. The photographer cleverly positioned the guys behind the animal to accentuate it's size, but I don't think it's more than that. It is simply an adult Alaskan brown bear, and they do get that big and bigger.  The first thing I thought of was " Those boys have an awful lot of calories to burn before that hide is safe in camp."

Edited by RONK - January/07/2008 at 19:41
cyborg View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Gaseous Clay

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cyborg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/08/2008 at 06:35
All I can think about is sitting in the top of a tree, doing my best to imitate an OWL......... NO THANKS...............
With Freedom comes great responsibility, you cannot have one without the other

An armed public are citizens. A disarmed public are subjects.

OATH KEEPER #8233 Support us, and join our cause.

Cyborg
Duce View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/08/2008 at 09:24
Most newspaper photo departments are good at catching manipulated photos, the thing of standing behind the animal has become standard, your not looking for a picture of a guy.

Duce Smile
Duce
helo18 View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote helo18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/08/2008 at 18:36
Originally posted by Duce Duce wrote:

Let me know when any of you are going bear hunting with a bow in Alaska I want to get pictures from a long distance like a mile or two. Oh and the Kodiak bears are bigger

Duce   Loco  Big%20Smile

You pay, I'll shoot!!!
To be prepared for War is one of the most effectual means of preserving peace.

GEORGE WASHINGTON
Tip69 View Drop Down
Tip Stick

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tip69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/09/2008 at 11:25
Maybe...... just maybe with a .50 cal......... that's if I can get a steady rest from the ship!
take em!
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/10/2008 at 07:23
I wouldnt mind shooting one but I'd have to shoot it with a bow and then run for the truck and hope it climbed in the bed and died there. I really cant imagine having to carry that thing out of the woods I have a bad enough time dragging deer out with an ATV.  Eaven the job of skinning it would be difficult - how do you eaven roll it over.  I would like to have a bear skin rug but what do you do with that much bear burger.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/10/2008 at 08:49
wild game feed at your house
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
longbow308 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote longbow308 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/12/2008 at 18:09
    thats a big ollll!!! boy
longbow308
Aim small Miss small
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic