OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

scope selection

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redneckbmxer24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/04/2004 at 11:17

ok, i hope everything works out.

cory

If guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns, I'll be only one of millions!!!
Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/04/2004 at 12:52
Grumpy, sounds like you are doing everything correct. If you are going to switch ammo, may I suggest a factory load with a 180 gr. Nosler BT. Your rifle should have a 1-10" twist barrel and from my past experiences have been very good with the 30/06 and your 700. If is does not improve your delema, I would be looking at the scope, even though it is a Leupold. Boomholzer bought up a good point with regards to crown on the barrel which is easily checked. It is possible that it could have been damaged during bore sighting. Good luck and keep us posted!!!
BOATBUM101 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BOATBUM101 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/04/2004 at 16:30

When is the last time this barrel was seriously cleaned to bare steel?Remington factory barrels are hammer forged.Which IMHO stresses the hell out of a barrel,not to mention that the bore surface is usually rough as a cob.Assuming that action screws are snug,scope mounts etc.I would clean the barrel.Cleaning gear is NOT where you pinch pennies.A quality coated rod,bore guide,quality bore brushes,jags & patches.No cheapy WalMart crap.Use a good quality bore cleaner such as Butch's,Montana Extreme,Barnes CR-10 etc.Clean till all patches come out clean.Then get you some Sweet's 7.62 follow the directions on the bottle to the letter.Failure to do so will probably damage the barrel.If your barrel is a "fouler" the first patch w/ Sweet's will be blue.That's copper jacket material.Keep cleaning until it's all removed.I've seen some that were so bad it took 12 passes w/ Sweets.Dry patch all the Sweets out the barrel,liberally oil the bore.Before shooting again dry patch the oil from bore & make damn sure there's no oil in the chamber.Also your going to have to find a load your rifle likes.There's no reason that with a good load your rifle can't put 3-5 rounds in 1-1/2" or less @ 100yds.

I have a1972 vintage Rem700 also '06.After 15 shots groups open up to the point you think you were using buckshot.Clean it & it's a sub-MOA shooter again.Good luck.Remember rifles are like people,all you do is listen,sooner or latter they'll tell you what the problem is.Muzzle crown should be smooth no dings etc.Let us know how you come out.Substitute a known good scope & try that too.More than one scope's been kinked on mounting.

Boomholzer View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boomholzer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/04/2004 at 16:47

Having access to a rest like this:

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/zoom/largepop.asp?i=85417_ts. JPG&c=

Will seriously help in your troubleshooting process.  Maybe a buddy or a local shop can loan you one.

grumpy View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote grumpy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/04/2004 at 19:19

THATS A FINE LOOKING BENCH REST.

I WOULD LOVE TO HAVE SOMETHING LIKE THAT

IM SURE THAT IT WOULD CORRECT ALL MY SHOOTING ERORS.

I DID FIND TIME TODAY TO GO BACK TO THE RANGE

I TRIED TWO DIFFERENT BRANDS OF AMMO

1. FEDERAL 150 GRAIN SOFT POINT

2. WINCHESTER 150 GRAIN POWER POINT

THE FEDERAL WAS ALL OVER THE PLACE

THE WINCHESTER DONE PRETTY WELL, FOR SOME REASON

MY RIFLE LIKES WINCHESTER AMMO, IVE TRIED RIMINGTON,HORNADY

AND FEDERAL THE WINCHESTER OUT SHOOTS THEM IN MY RIFLE.

AFTER SOME REAL CLOSE PAYING ATTENTION MY GROUPS

ARE GETTING BETTER ID SAY MAYBE AN 1" TO AN 1.5"

IM STILL HAVING PROBLEMS SEEING THOSE THIN CROSS HAIRS

THE HAIRS ON MY SIMMONS WERE SURE EAISER TO SEE.

IM GOING OUT SUN. IF THINGS DONT GET BETTER I MIGHT

SEND THE SCOPE IN TO BE CHECKED.

AND YES THIS GUN IS ABOUT DUE FOR A BIG TIME SCRUBING.

THANKS FOR THE INFO!!!!!!!        & nbsp;

grumpy View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote grumpy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/06/2004 at 12:11

IF CROWN DAMAGE IS PRESENT

WHAT WOULD I LOOK FOR??

Boomholzer View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boomholzer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/08/2004 at 10:59

Make damn sure the thing is unloaded and inspect the chamfer from the inner bore out to the muzzle’s face. A light and any kind of magnifying glass will help the process. The muzzle crown is there to provide a recess to help protect the inner bore from damage. Your looking for dents, burrs, etc.

I’ve never had decent results with common factory Remington ammo like the Core-Lokt or Accu-tip out of any .308Win. I would suggest the following for your 30.06: http://www.ammoman.com/IMAGES/3006-0080BX.jpg This ammution should outperform the ammo you have tried on paper.

For major copper de-fouling: http://www.eabco.com/WipeOut.htm

Edited by Boomholzer
grumpy View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote grumpy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/09/2004 at 19:51

THANK YOU BOOMHOLZER!!!!!

I KNOW THIS IS A SCOPE FORUM BUT

SOMETIMES THE INFO WE NEED MIGHT

TAKE US IN A DIFFERENT DIRECTION

THANK YOU FOR STEPPING UP.

ALTHOUGH I TRULY BELIVE MY RIFLE

IS IN GOOD CONDITION.

I DO HOWEVER BELIVE MY BIGGEST

PROBLEM IS MYSELF.

I HAVENT BEEN SHOOTING FROM A STURDY STAND ( rolled up sleeping bag )

I HAVE BEEN USING DIFFERNT AMMO THAN LAST YEAR

I THINK I WAS BLAMING THE SCOPE MORE THAN MYSELF   

grumpy View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote grumpy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/15/2004 at 17:52

OK PEOPLE ITS TIME TO PUT MY NEW LEUPOLD 3x9x40

TO THE TEST. MY HUNT STARTS IN THREE DAYS

AND ITS BEEN CLOUDY,DULL AND RAINING LIKE HELL

FORCAST SAYS MORE OF THE SAME.

I GUESS I,LL  FIND OUT IF THIS SCOPE IS WATER PROOF

AND ALSO FOG PROOF.

WISH US LUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!       & nbsp;   SEE YA.......

cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/15/2004 at 18:45
Good luck, Grumpy!!!!
If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
redneckbmxer24 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redneckbmxer24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/15/2004 at 20:59

ditto, i hope ya kill a biggin'

cory

If guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns, I'll be only one of millions!!!
grumpy View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote grumpy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/24/2004 at 19:34

MY HUNTS OVER AND GUESS WHAT??

I DID GET ONE, A NICE LITTLE 8-POINT

THE LEUPOLD 3-9-40 VXII WORKED

VERY NICE IN THE WEATHER WE WERE

HAVING, IF ONLY MY BINOCS. WORKED AS WELL

I DO THINK MY CHOICE IN SCOPES WAS A GOOD ONE

IM VERY HAPPY WITH THE LEUPOLD.

shootr View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shootr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/28/2005 at 18:24

Grumpy,

Sorry to hear you're having this problem, but keep us posted.  I'm real interested in the outcome and if you end up sending the scope back to Leupold - real interested in their handling of it.  FWIW - I've had the same experience you're having.  It wasn't the scope in my case - a real good cleaning and tightening of the mount fixed me.  Anyway - good luck.

GC

Shootr
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic