OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Firearms
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Handgun Cartridges

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tennessean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Handgun Cartridges
    Posted: January/04/2008 at 13:19
Was looking for a suitable topic to post my question under.  Hope this one was appropriate.  I've used the search function and found interesting info under rifle cartridges, but not much as far as handguns go.  I think I can justify the purchase of one handgun.  I'm alternating between a .357Mag, .45ACP, and a .40S&W  The question I pose is this:  If you could only have one gun (pistol/revolver) to cover all of it's potential uses (hunting/defense/target), which of the 3 named cartridges would you choose?  Feel free to substitute your own choice.  Thanks in advance.
tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/04/2008 at 13:21
A 4", medium framed .357.
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/04/2008 at 13:22
i agree
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
silver View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/04/2008 at 15:53
.45acp
yes it sucks at hunting, but I've have the .357 and its ok for light hunting but excelles in flash, noise, and recoil.

BIG HINT: you can do two of the three very well, but not all three well in one gun.
"If we weren't all crazy we, We would go insane."   Jimmie Buffet

WWW.formitch.com

pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/04/2008 at 16:01
.357 sig
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/04/2008 at 16:28
I'm not sure doing 2 well is possible, when given the range of solutions. handguns are more selective in their power and accuracy ranges than rifles, so generalizations are more difficult. even something as simple as target shootings has 4-5 choices, which type of target shooting?? as an example
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/04/2008 at 16:42
I would pic this gun.  http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10001&storeId=10001&productId=45916&langId=-1&isFirearm=Y

It holds eight rounds of .357, you don't have to chase your brass and it has mounts for a tac light and a scope.  That is the next gun I am going to buy.  I think it is the coolest revolver I have seen or handled.
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/04/2008 at 16:45
Or you could always buy a 1911 and then add a .460 Rowland kit.  I have on and it is pretty sweet.  You can pretty much obtain 44mag velocities with it.
http://www.clarkcustomguns.com/rowland.htm
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/04/2008 at 16:50
I sometimes use a 1911, 357 Cliff, 45 mag case cut back to 26 mm and neck down to 357, in a 6 in. Barsto with an older wilson LE comp on it. 1800 fps, for 125 and 1600 for 150 grs. with 20 grs. of 296. , but the blast in more like a concussion. , This gun also has a standard 45 acp barrel and slide, If I had a 22lr conversion kit -- it could be the one, if limit to one gun-- if this counts.
Tennessean View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tennessean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/04/2008 at 16:50
Thanks for the opinions/insights so far.  While there may not be just one that covers all the bases, one is all I can make an argument for.  As far as target goes, I was thinking more along the lines of range shooting with my son rather than competition shooting.  I've had my eye on a 6" Ruger GP100.  I figured it would be decent for hunting or shooting targets at close ranges, while being a little more handy than a rifle for something like home defense.  I've never shot a .357 sig.  I'll do some searching on that one. 
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/04/2008 at 16:56
As a general rule an automatic pistol is not going to be as powerful as a revolver round.  A .357 will blow away a 9 or 40.  And something like a 41mag or a 44mag will beat pretty much all automatic rounds with exception of a few specialty guns.  I think a .357 revolver is perfect for what you want.  and a ruger 100 is a great little gun.

Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/04/2008 at 17:36
look at the 8 shot taurus on the larger frame in six in, and the mod. 28 and mod 27. a better buy than the rugers.
silver View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/04/2008 at 17:36
The Ruger's point funny and often the trigger is not so hot.  Try the 686 Smith instead and you will see why most people race with them.

The Auto loader is often much flater to carry, so it conceals much better.  There is not the gap at the cylinder to cause extra flash.  More of the power gets burned.  There is more effort in flash suppresion in auto loads.  Start shooting in a tight room, because of danger and it makes a differance. 

The auto has fewer tight fitting parts.  The auto is easier to clean.  The Auto needs less cleaning.  Most autos don't need special tools to field strip.  The US Navy does what is called the "surf" test where they take a big "box", well a water tank that is mounted like a see-saw and rocks back and forth.  They throw some guns, water softener salt, sand, gravel, coral and fill with water and then let stuff "surf" over night or longer. 

Revovlers do not like this test as sand and grit get into the lock work.  You then need to pull the side plate on the Smiths, that takes some TLC.  I've seen revovlers lock up in as little as 250 rounds on the range from unburned powder in the lock. 

WWW.formitch.com

silver View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/04/2008 at 17:43
I'll disagree a little with Dale on the model's 27 and 28.  They are nice guns, the also have the N frame that I can not make work DA for me no matter how thin the grips.  Also the same reason I do not have Python.  It is how far the backstrap is from the trigger and my short fingers.  I like the L-frames better.

WWW.formitch.com

tahqua View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/04/2008 at 17:51

I used a modified M28 for PPC many years. It is not small but with the right grips is excellent for hunting, target and carry under heavy clothing. If you get a K/L framed gun you can carry IWB under a T shirt with a holster like the Alessi Hideout.

tahqua View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/04/2008 at 21:41
Originally posted by silver silver wrote:

I'll disagree a little with Dale on the model's 27 and 28.  They are nice guns, the also have the N frame that I can not make work DA for me no matter how thin the grips.  Also the same reason I do not have Python.  It is how far the backstrap is from the trigger and my short fingers.  I like the L-frames better.

L frames are my choice these days. Rugers are nice but they are bulky because of the low modulus of castings. They also have a better lock up. What the Smith gives you is less bulk and generally better triggers. The K/L also fits the average hand much better than the N frame with most grips. They are a natural pointer for me.
Big Squeeze View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire
GOOGLE NINJA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Squeeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/05/2008 at 13:59
Either the Ruger or the Smith in the double action revolvers are excellent choices! Then, it becomes a matter of your own personal preferences as to size or barrel lengths!...............To cover all the basis, for personal defense, plinkin and hunting, the 44 caliber IMO, will give you the best versatility! With any 44 magnum revolver, you can use the much less powerful 44 Specials for defense and plinking and on the other hand have the capability & stopping power in the same gun for anything you wish to hunt with a handgun! You also have a tremendous amount of reloading power versatility with the 44 caliber. The 357/38 spl. combo is a good choice, but I would prefer the 44 caliber for a hunting cartridge!!.....................Check out Ruger`s new 44 mag. in the 4" barreled Redhawk. It`s a dandy and makes for a great sidearm too!! If you wish to use a scope on your handgun, then the 7 1/2" barreled Redhawk in the 44 mag. is an excellent choice or a comparable Smith!     
Longhunter View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Longhunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/05/2008 at 16:48
tahqua and pyro6999 nailed the answer to this question at the very beginning.  A 4-inch medium frame .357 is your best choice for a "first handgun".   As to other issues:

1.  Defense work is the major reason for owning a handgun.  The .357 ranks tight up there at the top in terms of stopping power.  You will find the 6" barrel is just a little too long to be convenient if you plan to take it anywhere except to the range or the field.  There's a reason cops used the 4"---the holstered gun doesn't gouge you in the ribs (or push up from the seat) when you sit down.

2.  Target work - This is for fun, to help you become familiar with the gun, and to improve your skills.  A good .357 will shoot the x-ring right out of the target if you do your part.  The .38 special bullet is easily reloaded, and very accurate in a good .357.  The case will last unbelievably long with mild loads.

3.  Hunting - Hunting with a handgun is only appropriate when you reach the more advanced skill levels.   A .357 magnum is a little on the light side for hunting.  A .44 magnum seems to be one of the very best choices.  (For target work, though, a .44 special bullet will weigh roughly half again what a .38 special bullet does, and the recoil will go up accordingly.)

A .357 is a great way to get into handgunning.  Get one you really like, and enjoy it!  If you really like handguns, you will probably find that you need (1) a carry gun; (2) a target pistol (Ruger's .22 auto is one of several good choices); and (3) a hunting gun (.44 magnum or up), or maybe several of each!  You will still love your .357, even when you have the others.   

tahqua View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/05/2008 at 17:19
Originally posted by Longhunter Longhunter wrote:

or maybe several of each! 

It's an addiction
silver View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/05/2008 at 18:06
Originally posted by Big Squeeze Big Squeeze wrote:

Either the Ruger or the Smith in the double action revolvers are excellent choices! Then, it becomes a matter of your own personal preferences as to size or barrel lengths!...............To cover all the basis, for personal defense, plinkin and hunting, the 44 caliber IMO, will give you the best versatility! With any 44 magnum revolver, you can use the much less powerful 44 Specials for defense and plinking and on the other hand have the capability & stopping power in the same gun for anything you wish to hunt with a handgun! You also have a tremendous amount of reloading power versatility with the 44 caliber. The 357/38 spl. combo is a good choice, but I would prefer the 44 caliber for a hunting cartridge!!.....................Check out Ruger`s new 44 mag. in the 4" barreled Redhawk. It`s a dandy and makes for a great sidearm too!! If you wish to use a scope on your handgun, then the 7 1/2" barreled Redhawk in the 44 mag. is an excellent choice or a comparable Smith!     

Big Squeeze,

"Is that gun in your pocket or are you just happy to see me?" Mae West (now there's a smilely we need)

Man I hear all da brothers talk about they BIG .44 this, and they Big .44 that...  How come I don't see no .44 Readhawk with a scope in da MILT SPARKS IWB section?  What's you packin' in town cuz?Vato

BTW, it will be CT that askes for the swim suit photos with the .44 (or why we need a Ray Charles smilely)

WWW.formitch.com

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic