OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Firearms
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Tikka rifles

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Tip Stick

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tip69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tikka rifles
    Posted: January/04/2008 at 11:14

I was at our local Scheels last night looking at the rifles and I had my 11yr old left eye dominate Son with me. He's wanting to get a big rifle now for deer hunting next year. They have a left handed 30-06 in the Tikka......not sure which version but it has black synthetic stock and silver barrel. I really like the smooth action but not too keen on the safety! That thing is worse than a Savage safety and that's saying something!!!! I don't like the fact that you have to take if OFF safety to work the bolt...... especailly since this is going to be used by a child!

my concern is that the trigger is "live" whenever you work the bolt....... like when you want to remove an unfired shell from the chamber. I perfer to have a safety that keeps the trigger/firing pin from being accidentally released when working the bolt for whatever reason.

What do any of you "Tikka" guys think about the safety?

take em!
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/04/2008 at 11:41
Not to sound belittling here, but the trigger is not going to pull itself.  But if that is a concern to you I would suggest looking a winchester 70 that has the 3 stage safety or heaven forbid even the savage (I actually like savages).  Or just do like my dad did and pound into his head "finger is off the trigger until you are ready to shoot."  I have never had a negligent discharge in 20 years of shooting and I credit that to my dad and how I was taught.  And my first gun at 9 was a semi automatic, so it really all comes down to training and how you teach him. 
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/04/2008 at 12:03
you ccan buy a m70 an m77 or  get an m700 with the aftermarket m70 style safety installed, browning and tikka and i assume weatherbys all work alike, as do the remingtons so really your choices are limited to two companies or pay for the m70 style safety on a m700
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
martin3175 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote martin3175 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/04/2008 at 12:24
the new Howas  have a 3 position safety now also
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/04/2008 at 13:11
if the new howa's do does that mean that the wby vanguards do as well?
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
martin3175 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote martin3175 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/04/2008 at 13:36
Mine have a traditional safe/fire safety and I didn't see anything on their website stating anything different.. maybe for 08 ?
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/04/2008 at 13:40
yeah i went and looked at wby's page and it looked the same still so i dont know.
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/04/2008 at 13:43
Originally posted by supertool73 supertool73 wrote:

Not to sound belittling here, but the trigger is not going to pull itself.  

Agreed, you don't want to go boom, keep your booger hook off the bang switch.
treeshepherd View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote treeshepherd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/04/2008 at 17:26
personally I love the way the Tikka's safety is set up, it's just right for my needs, but all I use it for is predator hunting.  
VINCE IN BONO MALUM
silver View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/04/2008 at 18:04
Mines smooth and light... I do not normally use a safety on a rifle, I just keep my finger off the trigger.  I was raised with hammer guns... those safety things are always in the wrong place for me.  If the child is not ready to work a gun with a live round and no safety, then what is the child ready for? It's alive fire world and we are all down range...

I remember being Barney Fife and dad or grandpa giving one bullet. But sometime latter I was on my own.  If you gotta ask the question, then I have to wonder if it is the "safety" that is the problem or the kid needs an extra season to wait?  'Cause the only real safety is between the ears.
"If we weren't all crazy we, We would go insane."   Jimmie Buffet

WWW.formitch.com

latitude101 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote latitude101 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/04/2008 at 18:19
I guess there are a lot of angles to any subject but I'd offer this on the Tikka safety. My personal experience with new hunters is that if it can go wrong, they'll explore ways of making it happen, and not with any malice of forethought. A rifle without a bolt is a steel spear and not even real good for that. The lock down safety of my Tikka makes it ideal (in my humble opinion) for a new hunter since once the safety is on (and their chamber is empty if they are with me), there is zero chance of sending the bolt into the abyss by accidentally catching it on a pack, tree, arm, sling, well you get the idea. I have seen bolt stops fail on some guns and this is a possibility, however remote.

And as remote as the possibility is, there is no chance of that same bolt being left hanging open as a result of catching on the aforementioned array of objects and a round accidentally being chambered by the new hunter as he makes his gun "safe" by sliding the bolt home. I am left handed and have shot right handed arms for as long as I can remember. The tang safety is a nice option for us silly siders. The old Winchester safety while very safe was a damned nuisance for me. And finally, I own guns from many manufactuers, and for out of the box accuracy on a diet of store-bought ammo, the Tikka tops them all, and before anyone hangs me, I like my Remingtons, Winchesters, et al as well but for other reasons. My T-3 Tikka is a superb firearm, reasonably priced, ultra light and well made. A great starter piece.

Good luck on your purchase for your son. I just did the same thing and bought my 12 year old a Model 7 in .260 Remington as he is a small kid and while he can shoulder the .270 Tikka, he can't hold it steady.

K

KGG
Tip69 View Drop Down
Tip Stick

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tip69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/04/2008 at 19:42
I must say, I'm a little surprised by the responses.   I thought some of you would have shared my concerns.  I should have removed my Son from the equation because I don't like the "simple" 2 position safety for MY use either.  

It sounds like of those who responded, they don't mind the safety.   Thanks!
take em!
Dolphin View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dolphin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/05/2008 at 07:16
Tip69, there are some others that did not respond on this thread that prefer the 3 position safety.  Personally, I prefer the two position safety as on my Tikka or Weatherby or etc..  I believe education and overlooking what your son is doing for the first 100 times unloading his rifle is the way to go.  I usually unload my magazine first and then the chambered round, if that particular rifle has a magazine.  The Tikka obviously does.  If I am not incorrect, once the bolt is pulled out of the chamber, I do not believe the trigger can be pulled and the firing pin be released on the Tikka or the other rifles mentioned with the two position safety.  Obviously I have never tried it with a cartridge attached, but have done so without.
Focus View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master
Conquistador!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Focus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/05/2008 at 11:17
The savage safety you were not liking is adjustable (for those that think they work a little stiff....adjust it) has had a new bigger grooved finger button for some years now.....and is three position allowing you to work the bolt while on safe. Wasn't that many years ago when a lot of the safeties were two position.....

Focus
I Can See Clearly Now......<><

If Accurate rifles Are Interesting.....I've Got Some Savages That Are Getting Mighty Interesting......
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/07/2008 at 12:10
Sorry Tip69 I was not trying to come off as I did.  My issue is if you are manipulating the bolt your hand is away from the trigger anyway so it can't really fire.  And it can't really fire if the bolt is open either.  So I just don't see it as an issue.  Now if you are using it as a training aid for your boy then I can see that.

My opinion is it is just one more thing to go wrong.  You see your nice buck and you have the safety in position 3 and reach up to click it off and only get it to position 2 and get all ready to shoot and nothing happens.  And ontop of that the Winchester style safety unless you have gigantic hands and long thumbs you have to break your firing grip to disengage it anyway.  Where as with the Tikka and remmy type safeties you can keep your proper grip while you disengage it with your thumb.  That is my biggest gripe about my FN SPR is that I have to break my firing grip to disengage it.  I find myself most of the type not even using it because of that, it is just a range gun so I feel comfortable doing that.
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
Tip69 View Drop Down
Tip Stick

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tip69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/11/2008 at 14:58
Just to clarify...... I do like the newer Savage safeties........ they are much better.  I quess I just don't see much benefit in a 2 position safety that locks the bolt when its on.  I do like the Rem safety, because it lets you work the bolt while the safety is in the on position.  We usually use the Savage (and Win if we had one) in the "middle" position, where the trigger/firing pin is on safety, but the bolt is not.  Either the Rem or Sav is ok with me. 

Since reading these responces, I quess its not that big of a deal, so I'm really glad I posted this question.  some real good thoughts.....Thanks!
take em!
dunagan15 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dunagan15 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/17/2008 at 22:09
I recently bought a new Tikka T-3 and love it. The safety does its job and the two posistion is nice, also simple for a child of your sons age. The main thing(as my father always taught me was muzzle control) if he knows that then he will be fine. I feel the Tikka is a great gun for your son based on the fact that its light and user friendly. I purchased the 30.06 caliber and for an 11 year old that might be a little much for the shoulder. Id go with the 270, just my two cents.
ROCKMAN57 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ROCKMAN57 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/20/2008 at 13:48
I also believe muzzle control is the single most important factor to teach a new shooter no matter what the age.I have an older Remington 700 that I dearly love.It had the old style safety and it actually snapped on me once when I worked the bolt.I got on the internet and found stories of fatal accidents because of this.I sent the rifle to remington for the safety modification program with a letter explaining what had happened and they installed the new safety along with a new trigger assembly.All for no charge.All it cost me was the shipping.Now I have a two position safety which will allow me to work the bolt while safed.No-one can predict a mechanical failure so having the muzzle pointed in a safe direction at all times is critical.
Just my 2 cents
Walk softly,keep the wind in your face and watch your back
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic