OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Help, with Kahles Scope choice

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/10/2008 at 15:44
Originally posted by tahqua tahqua wrote:

The 2.5-10x50 or the 3-12x56 would both work. They are both 30mm tubes and are available with 4A and 7A reicles. Some of the folks around here like the 4A because it is fast. I have 7A's and like them. They are just as heavy as the 4A and easy to use in low light, but have the top post.

I'm not sure if the 2.5-10 would be able to be mounted lower since they both will require high mounts of some type.

Question.....how's is the 4A reticle faster than say a plex? It's probably just me growing up with a duplex style reticle but I don't see a 4A being faster, in fact the times I've played with it I've found it slower but again it could be me trying to get used to it. From my very limited use of the 4A , it appears to be a very good choice for woods, close to medium distance, and low light conditions.

“A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be.” – Fred Bear
bricat View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bricat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/10/2008 at 15:44
Wait a minute, Adolph was Austrian!  post should read "Hitler like Kahles"
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/10/2008 at 15:48
hmmm we need to hire you a writer bricat! suppose you will next tell me that hitler was also a fan of glocks too!
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/10/2008 at 15:51
Originally posted by mike650 mike650 wrote:

Originally posted by tahqua tahqua wrote:

The 2.5-10x50 or the 3-12x56 would both work. They are both 30mm tubes and are available with 4A and 7A reicles. Some of the folks around here like the 4A because it is fast. I have 7A's and like them. They are just as heavy as the 4A and easy to use in low light, but have the top post.

I'm not sure if the 2.5-10 would be able to be mounted lower since they both will require high mounts of some type.

Question.....how's is the 4A reticle faster than say a plex? It's probably just me growing up with a duplex style reticle but I don't see a 4A being faster, in fact the times I've played with it I've found it slower but again it could be me trying to get used to it. From my very limited use of the 4A , it appears to be a very good choice for woods, close to medium distance, and low light conditions.

I can't say because I don't have a 4A. I do like the 7A for long range and can see where not having the top post would hurt. The top post gives me a larger vertical reference for this type of shooting, IMO. Besides, like you, growing up has perimeter trained this dog on plex typesWink.

Edited by tahqua - January/10/2008 at 20:35
Focus View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master
Conquistador!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Focus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/10/2008 at 15:55
Quote Besides, like you, growing up has perimeter trained this dog on plex typesWink.

Thats why I prefer a 7a reticle over a 4a. That long plex training has made me want a reticle with the top post also.

Focus
I Can See Clearly Now......<><

If Accurate rifles Are Interesting.....I've Got Some Savages That Are Getting Mighty Interesting......
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/10/2008 at 16:59
Originally posted by Focus Focus wrote:

Quote Besides, like you, growing up has perimeter trained this dog on plex typesWink.

Thats why I prefer a 7a reticle over a 4a. That long plex training has made me want a reticle with the top post also.

Focus

We need an old dog emoticon!! Bandito

“A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be.” – Fred Bear
tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/10/2008 at 17:19
I have taken my 2.2-9x42 Kahles and 3.5-10x50 VariX-III outside and compared them this evening as I have done many times. I looked at deer, ducks and various trees out to 300 yards. The Kahles has far better resolution and contrast. At last light the Kahles gave me a full ten minutes more to discern the rack on our neighborhood ten pointer. This was at 100 yards.
If you are at the end of your focus range and still not corrected I would send it back in.
There is no Kahles cult here, just people who appreciate their optics. I have several VariX-III's and they aren't going anywhere. They are supposed to be the equivalent of the VX-II which means they are good scopes. I believe the Kahles C model is by far better.

Edited by tahqua - January/10/2008 at 17:21
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/10/2008 at 19:23
bricat, I'm disappointed that you refer to our discussion in the other Kahles thread as me beating up on you.  I want you to know publicly that I was not beating up on you, I was only trying to understand your concerns about the reticle and the "putty" so I could hopefully help alleviate those concerns by assuring you that there was nothing wrong with your scope.  You should buy what you prefer.  There is no "Kahles cult" here, only people just like you who have found products they like and are passing on their experiences in good faith.  I'm personally not brand loyal, only "quality loyal" and will buy any brand product that I think is a fair value for $ spent.  There is no way someone can recommend any product to others and have 100% of the people who accept their recommendation agree.
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
RONK View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/10/2008 at 20:17

When I read of someone who can't see a difference between two different optics , which is blatantly obvious to others, I am reminded of a person I know who had trouble seeing certain things that his brothers could discern easily. He was often teased about his "poor" eyesight.
 He was determined to be blind to some colors.
 When he served his country during the Korean War, he was always chosen by his Commanding Officers to lead night patrols into enemy territory because of his PHENOMENOL night vision. The man could see well in near total darkness, and many good men came home because of it.
 Things are not always as they appear...
Bullwrinkle View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bullwrinkle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/10/2008 at 21:18
Thanks for your responses guys.  I don't know if my scope was defective, and I'll never know until I check another kahles just like it. I hunt a watermelon  and sorgum field that is about a .5 mile radius with surrounding ranch lands.  There are still lights that can be seen in the distance, as well as a big oil platform about .75 mile away with lights all over it.  I don't think that my scope comparisons at the house really mattered because it would've been the same at the place where I hunt (I don't live in the city where there's lights everywhere).  I was checking the scopes in a shaded area so that light wouldn't interfere with my eyes as well as the lens.  The truth is, I expected to compare those two scopes at dusk, and at darkness, and then be albe to say without a doubt that the Kahles scope was hands down the best with a couple of look throughs.  Didn't happen. I know there's gotta be a scope out there for me that will do better than my Vx-II.  I just don't want to have to buy another Kahles scope to find out and be afraid that it might be the same again.
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/10/2008 at 21:25
if you think theres something wrong with the kahles i wouldnt hesitate to send it in.
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
TheDrakeTaker View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheDrakeTaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/11/2008 at 08:20
I severely doubt there's something wrong with your scope, you are looking for too big of a difference.  Remember the difference is about 10-15 minutes of shooting time, it's not night vision.  I myself made this same mistake.  It is better, in clarity, it doesn't turn a light on.  If you really can't see that, then I recommend you stick with your vx-II b/c you won't see a difference in the Kahles C and the Zeiss victorys etc.
Robert
Focus View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master
Conquistador!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Focus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/11/2008 at 08:36
It sounds like you are seeing no difference Bullwinkle, I don't understand that as at least to my eyes quite a difference between a VX ll which I have laying right here and either my 4200 elites or conquests. Doesn't take darkness to see it either. I'm sorry its not that way for you and wish I lived close to let you look through my conquests and see what you think. Best I can suggest is drive to a larger place that stocks a few brands of quality optics and look through a few and see if any seem to be better for your eyes. Take Care

Focus

If Accurate rifles Are Interesting.....I've Got Some Savages That Are Getting Mighty Interesting......
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/11/2008 at 10:30
Drake Taker is correct.  Some of us here are pretty picky about optics, so we would notice more of a difference than another person might.  My dad is an extreme example of this.  Any scope he can look through and simply see the target and the crosshairs good enough to make a shot looks just as good to him as any other, which is why all his rifles have $70 scopes on them.  He truly can't tell a difference between a Tasco and a Zeiss VM/V.

If the Kahles isn't noticeably better to your eyes, then you're actually very fortunate and your wallet will thank you.  You truly won't notice much difference optically between the Kahles line and the Zeiss, Swarovski, S&B scopes of the world.

Edited by RifleDude - January/11/2008 at 10:31
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
tophet1 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tophet1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/11/2008 at 20:02
Bullwrinkle,

For what this is worth I own a Kahles AH 3.5-10x50 which I compared to my Leupold VXIII 3.5-40 AO. The only useable difference is at twilight. During daylight they rated equally for hunting use and at night there was less refraction of ambiant light in the Kahles compared to the Leupold indicating an improvement in lens coating of the Kahles.

There are improvements in the Kahles in clarity and brightness but you do have to look hard to find them and it took me awhile as I am an optics layman.

Do yourself a favour and get your scope next to another identical Kahles scope and see if yours is defective. Also remember, there is a rule of diminishing returns when cost and quality increase.
Bullwrinkle View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bullwrinkle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/11/2008 at 22:32
Before posting, I've never had an opportunity to look through premium rifle scopes other than the kahles I had.  However, I have looked through Swarovski binoculars under moonlight compared to $400 leupold binos and without a doubt, the Swarovski made a good enough difference the 1st time I looked through it with a cleaner, brighter, and more crisp view.  (But I don't know if binos work the same as scopes).  I really wish their was moonlight out the day I was comparing, so I could get an accurate estimation, but the truth is the full moon won't be out for another week and the return policy for the kahles scope was ten days, so I kinda had to return it.  Today, I decided to order a 3-9 50mm Zeiss Conquest.  When I get this one in next week, I'll do the same test that I did with the Kahles at my house.  Then I'll take it out of town a ways under the moonlight and do another comparison with the Vx-II.  I'll post up with the results next week.  Thanks
Focus View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master
Conquistador!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Focus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/12/2008 at 06:57
It will be interesting to hear your opinions and results.

Focus

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic