OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Firearms
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Howa M1500`s in .375 RUGER????

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics Master Extraordinaire
GOOGLE NINJA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Squeeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Howa M1500`s in .375 RUGER????
    Posted: January/03/2008 at 15:01
Ok Boys!!!!....................You read it right! The Howa M1500`s for `08 are now available in the .375 Ruger! %$@%##%$..... Dammit!.Head%20Banger... Not only are the standard M1500`s available in the .375 Ruger, but it can also be had with the thumbhole sporter stocks too!!!!.........No barrel lengths given, but based on the rifle OAL I`d say the barrel length is 23 or 24"..........The MSRP is $589 w/no scope for the M1500! With a variable Nikko Sterling scope it is $599???? The MSRP for the thumbhole sporter is around the mid $800`s!!!............I paid over $400 bucks more for the Alaskan! But in looking at the 1500 vs. the Alaskan and comparing them, I certainly can`t justify an additional $400+ for the Ruger!............Legacy Sports must have negotiated a good deal with Ruger in order to start chambering the .375!!!........But! I does have a plan!Stiring%20The%20Pot My neighbor is a sucker for Rugers. He does not own an Alaskan,,,,,,YET!!!!!!......Is the Alaskan truly worth $400+ more than the Howa M1500???? For an extra $10 you get a scope in a package deal too????!!!...................Well guys??  
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/03/2008 at 15:06
try it what the heck i do stuff like that myself.
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Big Squeeze View Drop Down
GOOGLE NINJA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Squeeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/03/2008 at 15:09
BTW!!!! On the Legacy website you have to click on their `08 catalog to see the Ruger 375 listed!!!!!!
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/03/2008 at 15:24
i cant believe your thinking about jumping ship already you did that last year too well almost with the whole trijicon scope thing.
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
GOOGLE NINJA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Squeeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/03/2008 at 16:26
Jumpin ship???? Hey! Why not??? Things are always subject to change!!!........I just now got off the phone with Legacy........The M1500 .375 Ruger uses the same IDENTICAL Hogue stock as the Alaskan, with the same IDENTICAL aluminum bedding, is free floating, it uses the same IDENTICAL ionized treated black matte barrel for weather proofing, but in a 24" barrel instead. Other than length they are identical. However, the M1500`s barrel does not have the iron sights like the Alaskan does. According to the specs, the Howa is lighter too!! The 1500`s won`t be available in the .375 Ruger for about 2 months or so..........I have no particular loyalty to anything!! I go where the gettin is better, especially if it saves money AND does the same damn thing in quality and durability!!!...................The price of the 1500 w/scope is not $599 as the catalog says! Legacy said that is a mistake. It is $687 with the scope package! The rifle alone is $589!..........I haven`t ruled out the Trijicon and am not jumpin ship in that dept. The problem that I had with the lower variable powered Trijicon was that there was not enough tube length for eye relief flexibility! Remember?............I can still use my 4200 or get a 3x9 Trijicon for the Alaskan IF I keep it, or use it on the Howa either way!.....................If any of you are in the market for a .375 Ruger, then check out these new Howa`s. Call Legacy like I did and find out the details for yourselves. If I can go forward with my plan and sell my Alaskan to my neighbor for almost what I paid for it, + dealer paperwork fees and save several hundred bucks in the process, then so be it!...............Legacy as I found out, had no negotiations with Ruger to chamber the .375! Apparently, there is no patent that Ruger owns on their .375 cartridge! But! Just in case Ruger forces Legacy to stop chambering the .375, I`m going to get the wheels in motion while the gettin is good!... Hey! $300 or $400 bucks is still $300 or $400 bucks!!....Perhaps my little discovery here will do some good and help someone else save money too!!!    
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/03/2008 at 16:36
good luck squeeze
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
GOOGLE NINJA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Squeeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/03/2008 at 16:47
It`s certainly worth a try!!...............I do know that the Howas have a very good rep for their out of the box accuracy and their extremely strong actions. Like the M77`s, the Vanguard actions that Howa uses are basically the same thing, so I can`t foresee a problem there........Well!...My neighbor just now drove up! Guess where I`m going!Stiring%20The%20Pot
Duce View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/03/2008 at 17:46
I have one of the Howa 308 win. with the Knoxx-axiom stock I loved everything about it but the trigger. The newer Howa rifles the triggers are not adjustable and they are around 5 lb pull, I replaced mine with a Timmy trigger at 2 lb. Now it is a good sub-moa rifle and still not broken in completely. I think when I get finished with it and some good ammo it will be great. Blackhawk bought the Knoxx stocks and doubled the price.  I don't know if you can get that stock with the 375 but it sure takes the recoil down at least half or more.
Let me know how you like the Howa when you get it.
Good Shooting

Duce  Big%20Smile
Duce
GOOGLE NINJA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Squeeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/03/2008 at 18:09
Excellent Done deal!!!..... After my explanation, my bigger bucks than me neighbor and good shootin buddy will give me exactly what I paid for the Alaskan (out the door), $1112.49 as though he originally bought it!...........Before delivery to me and upon inspection and per my dealer, if the new Howa for any reason is not what it claims to be, I keep the Alaskan and the dealer keeps the Howa. I will pay the $35 for the background check and to transfer the ownership of the Alaskan over to my neighbor!..........$1112.49 originally for the Alaskan (out the door) minus $670.67 (out the door for the Howa)= $441.82 minus the $35.00 for the transfer fee. That is a savings of $406.82 to me!!! My dealer confirmed the Howa price of $589 and has set the wheels in motion over phone. I`ll just go down within 24 hours with a deposit............Not bad money for 40 minutes of conversation including a couple of phone calls!!....A win win situation! Smile    Cheers
Duce View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/03/2008 at 18:14
More money for the new scope!!!Yippee

Duce
Duce
Focus View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master
Conquistador!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Focus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/03/2008 at 18:24
I'm very impressed with the howa actions and their out of box accuracy is almost always excellent. My gunsmith builds accuracy mausers but he keeps a howa built for sale at all times. Believe he uses a hogue stock and timney trigger with bedding and headspace work. They always exceed his 1/2" accuracy rule. Let us know how ya like it squeeze......

Focus
I Can See Clearly Now......<><

If Accurate rifles Are Interesting.....I've Got Some Savages That Are Getting Mighty Interesting......
GOOGLE NINJA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Squeeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/03/2008 at 18:26
Duce!!!......................I did see those Axioms on the Legacy site too???? But! I am kinda conventional so I`ll stick with the 1500! In fact, recoil does not bother me......The trigger pull on the Alaskan from Ruger is right at about 4 lbs. or so anyway! so, that shouldn`t make too much of a difference. I don`t want too light of crispy trigger on a DGR!...........BTW! If by some small chance, as reported by very few Ruger 375 owners, that I have any stock splitting with the Howa???? It will be taken care of!!! 
Dolphin View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dolphin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/05/2008 at 13:42
I love those Howas and Trijicons.
GOOGLE NINJA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Squeeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/05/2008 at 14:14
Dolphin..........I know you have a Trijicon!! The biggest one!!............I would love to mount the lower variable powered Trijicon, the 1.5 or 1.75 x4 on the Howa 375 Ruger or would have on my soon not own anymore,, Alaskan!!....The problem is,,, not enough mounting tube length for eye relief flexability. That damned objective bell!!!!!........When I called Trijicon and discussed that with the tech rep, he indicated that Trijicon was losing alot of business and receiving complaints in that regard.............I suppose one could use offset rings. But that looks like crap to me!! I want the receiver to be clear!!....Trijicon needs to make a straight tubed low power variable!!  
Duce View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/05/2008 at 15:36
Now you have me thinking I would like to have one in a 300 win. mag , that would cost me a whole upstairs house remodel from the wife.

Duce  Shocked
Duce
GOOGLE NINJA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Squeeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/07/2008 at 11:38
Duce..........................Saw the Howa M1500 in the 300 Winny too!......I THINK that it would be JUST A LITTLE BIT LESS,,,,than an upstairs re-model job!!...............Legacy Sports in their new `08 catalog has some real nice add on`s this year!! Those 20" barreled compact "Ranchland" rifles with the 3 different colored Hogue stocks are very tempting for me too, as I don`t have a 243 Win.
Duce View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/07/2008 at 12:11
Not after my wife saw it, if she spotted a new rifle I would be dealing with big time competive spending.
DuceMouth%20Taped%20Shut
Duce
GOOGLE NINJA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Squeeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/07/2008 at 12:35
Well then! Sit her down in front of the computer, log on to the Legacy catalog and start rubbing and kissing her neck at the same time. DO a little multi-tasking and don`t give up!!........Your 300 Winny Howa may be closer than you think!!!!
Ed Connelly View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
God of no Chihuahua

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed Connelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/20/2008 at 14:42

[ ...as most of you readers know, Big Squeeze was a snake oil salesman in the Dust Bowl during the Depression....Dude  The population of the towns that Squeeze visited in those days never grew. -------cuz, everytime some gal got pregnant, Squeeze LEFT TOWN!]

And now back to our regular broadcast....entitled "Squeeze Changes His Mind and Sells His Runnin' Buddy a Rifle"     Get%20Your%20Popcorn%20Ready

GOOGLE NINJA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Squeeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/20/2008 at 16:14
Originally posted by Ed Connelly Ed Connelly wrote:

[ ...as most of you readers know, Big Squeeze was a snake oil salesman in the Dust Bowl during the Depression....Dude  The population of the towns that Squeeze visited in those days never grew. -------cuz, everytime some gal got pregnant, Squeeze LEFT TOWN!]

And now back to our regular broadcast....entitled "Squeeze Changes His Mind and Sells His Runnin' Buddy a Rifle"     Get%20Your%20Popcorn%20Ready

............................Mooner
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic