OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

The Future of riflescope's magnifications

Post Reply Post Reply
Poll Question: Which would you buy and why?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
10 [83.33%]
2 [16.67%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
TEAM SWFA - Admin
TEAM SWFA - Admin
swfa.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Farris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The Future of riflescope's magnifications
    Posted: January/03/2008 at 11:06
With the current trend to exceed the widely accepted industry standard (3x and 4x erectors) in riflescope manufacturing, is the "plane Jane" 3-9 with no parallax adjustment going to become a thing of the past in high end scopes?

There is a lot to be said about keeping things simple but on the other hand technology will always be moving forward.

4.00" eye relief
15 ounces
13 inches long
64" of elevation travel
33.9' - 11.0' FOV at 100 yards
$399.95

3.90" eye relief
17 ounces
13.5 inches long
60" of elevation travel
41.0' - 6.6' FOV at 100 yards
$699.95
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/03/2008 at 11:11
zeiss wins for me, proven winner tough construction, pretty good cs dept and all i need for hunting and almost half the price
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
ND2000 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ND2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/03/2008 at 11:56
I find it interesting that the Elite has less elevation travel, considering you can crank the sucker up to 16x.

Zeiss Conquest, hands down.  Lighter, shorter, nearly half the price.

ND2000
You either get what you pay for or what you deserve.
jonbravado View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonbravado Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/03/2008 at 12:40
zeiss is nearly unbeatable for the money.

4200's are still a good value, as well as monarch's - but i will not spend that much on a 6500. not when i can buy kahles and zeiss for that money.

J
tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/03/2008 at 12:53

When I first heard about the 6500's I was not too impressed. The 4200's (minus the 3-9) are quite large with low eye relief. Now that I see the physical dimensions of this Bushnell I am quite impressed. And to get 6x zoom in a package this size is really interesting now.

I still don't need parallax adjustment on a big game scope, but it looks like this scope could see use on predator rigs since it has 16x. I never needed it for coyotes, either.

My vote is still with the Zeiss. The Zeiss presently has far more reticle options and the cost is much lower. The Zeiss glass is a known quantity and is very good.

Edited by tahqua - January/03/2008 at 13:18
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/03/2008 at 12:57
Tagged.
If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
silver View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/03/2008 at 14:23
KISS principle, Zeiss
"If we weren't all crazy we, We would go insane."   Jimmie Buffet

WWW.formitch.com

Focus View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master
Conquistador!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Focus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/03/2008 at 15:11
There is going to be a bit of tunnel effect with the higher value erectors and adjustable objectives will become a fact of life with the higher power variables this will produce. Weight doesn't seem as big an issue as might have been expected, and it will certainly produce a truly dual purpose big game/varmint rig configuration. Less models will cover the popular power ranges and more than likely we will see the slow phase-out of the once standard 2x7 and 3x9 configurations. 1x6 and 1.5x9 will become the low end close range non AO models, is it bad? Well the one thing that looks to be for sure so far is the prices will take a huge leap.......those $250-399 good deals will probably be replaced with stiffer price tags. Guess I don't much care as I have a good amount of the older configurations and they'll do me for quite some time. Conquests haven't changed yet....and for me.....I think thats a good thing.....I bet kahles will do a revamp of their line and maybe go with this new technology, they are selling off the old line and will no doubt have something to jazz up their new non-swaro connected line. I say let er' rip! I don't mind hunting with AO scopes so for me it will be a $ negative but not much else...

Focus
I Can See Clearly Now......<><

If Accurate rifles Are Interesting.....I've Got Some Savages That Are Getting Mighty Interesting......
silver View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/03/2008 at 15:59
That extra couple of hundred dollars will help hold the line for some time. Robin%20Hood
"If we weren't all crazy we, We would go insane."   Jimmie Buffet

WWW.formitch.com

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic