OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Firearms
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Browning X Bolt

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire
GOOGLE NINJA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Squeeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Browning X Bolt
    Posted: January/03/2008 at 05:49
Since I`m up late tonight finishing up some biz paperwork, I noticed as I was cruising up and down the "firearms" section, that I haven`t read any comments or seen any topics started about the new Browning X bolts!!!!..........In looking at them on the Browning site for the FIRST time and looking at the enlargements, I must say that these look to be very interesting! I mean;;;very interesting!.........That X bolt Medallion in the wood, is absolutely beautiful, while the stainless, composite X bolts are no doubt capable of handling any weather! Beauty vs. better weather proofing!!!...........Along with a new stock design, I noticed that these new X bolts have a degree of palm swell, certainly unique to wood and even most composites with the exception of the Hogue stocks............Rifles are kinda like women! Beauty is only skin deep and as such, one needs to get to the inner workings and so forth in order to find out the scoop or the heart of the matter!! I`d like to try a little milk here before I buy the cow!!! Or, try a little ham before I buy the pig.Pig.........Therefore! Has anyone handled these new X bolts or fired one??? How would you compare these X bolts to the A bolts? The Remmy CDL`s?? The newer discontinued Winchesters? The M77`s? Sakos? Others maybe??? Since I have never owned a Browning, I don`t wish to fall in into that,,, love a rifle (woman) at 1st site syndrome,,, or be deceived at the first glance by its (her) beauty!!Yikes.......Perhaps you existing A/bolt owners can chime in here!!!....You too Pyro!! If any of you haven`t seen the X Bolts on the Browning site, go there first and look em over, then post up with your comments..........
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/03/2008 at 09:59
i took a look at them and the bolt handle is styled a little different, its more like a mauser style, where it use to be straight handled, the stock looks the same other than the gripper looking material, browning composites have always had palm swell, i didnt look at the wooden stock. brownings in general are very accurate, they button pull the barrels and put a target crown on them, so they are shooters, im not real excited about the brownings, the remingtons on the other hand i am.
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
timber View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/04/2008 at 14:11
I'm concerned that Browning whittled the stock down too much.  From Browning:

"New styling features more compact dimensions for a smaller, quicker, sleeker look and feel, and also trims weight."

Did you find the stock, especially the buttstock/recoil pad to be diminished significantly compared to the A-Bolt?  I've found a NIB A-Bolt in 7mm rem mag and one in 270win and am considering picking one up.  Thanks.

Timber
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/04/2008 at 15:57
yes i agree they did that, my bro in law has a plain old browning hunter and they definetly chopped the stocks out on an already light rifle
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
timber View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/04/2008 at 16:43
Thanks.  First the Sako 85 and now the X-Bolt.  I'm sure glad the 'new' Winchesters don't look butchered.  Let's hope Remington and others don't follow this (trend?).  I'm going to have to pass on the new X-Bolt.  It looks like I have an A-Bolt in my future.

pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/04/2008 at 16:48
the remingtons remain true other than the mark x trigger and the r3 pad they look the same. winchesters new stuff is in limited chamberings and models abolts are nice.
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
mynameispete3 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mynameispete3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/14/2008 at 23:49
X BOLT I cant wait to see one!!!!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic