OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

A FEW QUESTIONS...

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DAVE44 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: A FEW QUESTIONS...
    Posted: January/02/2008 at 07:18
    The best scopes $400.00 and under seem to be the   ZEISS CONQUEST, BUSHNELL 4200, NIKON MONARCH AND BURRIS SIGNATURE SELECT. Im sure most will agree the Zeiss is the best glass and reticle at $400. Can someone tell me if the Burris TAPER PLEX RETICLE   is thicker or heavier than their standard plex reticle? Can someone tell me if the new NIKON MONARCH PLEX RETICLE is the same thin reticle as the old style monarch or did they make it a little heavier this year? Ive seen the Elite plex reticle and I wish it was a little heavier and wouldnt fade out in certain lighting situations. I want to try a Burris Signature in 1.5 -6 x40 with taper plex but I am wondering if the glass is the equal of a 4200 or Nikon Monarch or better. Does only the Zeiss use etched reticles?
Focus View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master
Conquistador!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Focus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/02/2008 at 08:22
Zeiss is possibily the only one in your list using an etched reticle in the plex configuration. I prefer the conquest reticle simply because its a little easier to see in low light conditions than the bushnell or nikon. Does burris give a breakdown on their site of what the reticle dimensions are compared to their std plex? Most feel the signiture select glass is right there with elite and monarch glass.

Focus
I Can See Clearly Now......<><

If Accurate rifles Are Interesting.....I've Got Some Savages That Are Getting Mighty Interesting......
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/02/2008 at 08:26
i would take the zeiss if i could afford it. its better glass than the monarch and the 4200, i dont have the sig select but im sure zeiss is better than it as well.
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
DAVE44 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DAVE44 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/07/2008 at 09:57
If the 3-9 x40 Elite 4200 , the New NIKON MONARCH 2.5-10x42 and the Burris Signature Select 3-10x40 (all PLEX RETICLE) were the only ones to choose from which would be the best buy if I could get them all for exactly $300.00? Im curious about the new Nikon, If the glass is about equal, then the reticle and eye box is all thats left to consider. I suppose everyone would take the Conquest over the new nikon too.
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/07/2008 at 11:09
I have the 3-9x-40 elite 4200 and while the glass looks good and I really like the scope, it don't even compare to my scopes with Euro glass.  I bought a Meopta for $350 and it just smokes the 4200 as far a clarity goes.  So I would spend the little extra and get the Ziess, it will be worth it.
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
Focus View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master
Conquistador!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Focus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/07/2008 at 14:45
Well your last post is more difficult to answer, leaving out the conquest and comparing all three at the same price should make the burris the best deal because its a lot more $ to begin with. But then the 4200 with rainguard will have a feature the other two lacks, tough question to answer I guess. I believe considering everything at exactly the same price for all three the burris would be my choice.

Focus

If Accurate rifles Are Interesting.....I've Got Some Savages That Are Getting Mighty Interesting......
Ed Connelly View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
God of no Chihuahua

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed Connelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/07/2008 at 19:01
Supertool, your avatar is making me cringe. I liked the badger one!
Focus View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master
Conquistador!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Focus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/08/2008 at 08:25
OK supertool, are you the thrower or the reciever??

Focus

Longhunter View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Longhunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/09/2008 at 00:47
The Burris Signature Select 1.5-6x40 is an outstanding scope, although a little heavy at 17 ounces (actual weight).  The taper-plex is heavier at the edges but not at the center  This reticle is VERY easy to use and gets on the target quickly.  This would be my favorite scope, if only it were a little lighter.
jonbravado View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonbravado Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/09/2008 at 07:50
conquest w/ a #4 reticle is really really hard to beat.

it's perfect for lowlight and faster target aquisition.

J
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/09/2008 at 09:45
Hows that one?
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
Focus View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master
Conquistador!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Focus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/09/2008 at 09:54
HeHeHe.....I like that one! I feel that way sometimes when in one of those hot debates over on AR. Puts a grin on my face....

Focus

Dolphin View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dolphin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/09/2008 at 16:01
Add Sightron to your list.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic