OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

mid-priced scopes with metric adjustments

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sako88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: mid-priced scopes with metric adjustments
    Posted: January/02/2008 at 03:10
Hi,

I am wondering which brands offer scopes with metric/cm or mil target turret adjustments in the $300~600~ price category. Hopefully with a mil-dot or similar reticle.

So far I only know of the Falcon Menace 10x42 that offers metric turrets and mil-dot. Are all target/tactical/etc style turrets essentially MOA adjustable unless otherwise noted or do some makers offer metric turrets without mentioning it?

The reason I specified a price range is because I am aware of the 1k+ scopes available with just about any option but kinda wanting to try living with low-mid range versions of features that catch my eye before I decide what I like and put together my "serious" setup.

I have heard zeiss uses metric turrets on some scopes - not the conquest series though?
Meopta?

I'm not really brand loyal or anything so any info is welcome. At this point I just have no clue who makes them other than the 1k+ tactical scopes and custom shop pieces.

Thanks,

Sako88
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/02/2008 at 03:53
Here's a thought considering your $300-$600 budget, which I think we can work with here.

Get a scope with the other features you need/like and then get Kenton Industries to custom make some "metric" turrets for you.

Whatcha think?

I thought the Menace was MOA clicks??

Edited by cheaptrick - January/02/2008 at 03:58
If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
Sako88 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sako88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/13/2008 at 04:09
Thanks cheaptrick,

The Menace is available in both MOA and CM clicks, snipercentral is selling a metric knob version.

I've decided to try out a supersniper for now.
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/13/2008 at 07:39
Good deal!!
You'll find more than a few Super Sniper fans around this place. Super
If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
RONK View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/13/2008 at 15:33

Sako88- Not to get too picky about it, but only to inform you if you don't know this tidbit: Actually the Mil. system used in tactical scopes is unrelated to the Metric System. (That is why cheaptrick put the word "metric" in quotation marks in his Kenton Industries suggestion to you.) The most common Tactical scope systems are the Minute of Angle system, with the turrets commonly graduated in 1/4 Minutes, and the Milliradian system, with the turrets commonly graduated in 1/10 Milliradian graduations.  The confusion arises because it just so happens that 1/10 Milliradian subtends quite closely to one centimeter at a distance of 100 meters,(not EXACTLY and only by coincidence).  I imagine that some manufacturers will continue to refer to them as "metric" turrets though, because it's easier than explaining milliradians, etc.

It may be true that many European scopes use the true Metric System in the turret adjustments of thier scopes, but I don't really know. I suspect they do because of the popularity of that system over there, but again there is a technical, but perhaps not a practical difference between Metric and Milliradian systems.

Edited by RONK - January/13/2008 at 15:45
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/14/2008 at 00:34
IOR 2.5-10x42 FFP is available with 1cm clicks.  It is a little bit more expensive than your range, but still well under a thousand.

Bushnell Elite 4200 1.25-4x24 that I have also has 1cm clicks.

ILya
RONK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/14/2008 at 12:04
Originally posted by koshkin koshkin wrote:

IOR 2.5-10x42 FFP is available with 1cm clicks.  It is a little bit more expensive than your range, but still well under a thousand.

Bushnell Elite 4200 1.25-4x24 that I have also has 1cm clicks.

ILya

The IOR 2.5-10x 42 FFP is a great scope. I have one and love it so far. The best thing about it is the MP8 reticle, coupled with the 1/10 mil. turrets. They correspond pefectly to each other, unlike most others which use a milliradin reticle but m.o.a. turrets. The two systems can cause confusion when used together. For instance when shooting gophers, I can fire a shot and spot the point of impact through the scope.  I compare the point of aim to the point of impact by using the reticle. If the wind drifted me 1.5 mils, I can crank the turret 15 clicks and be on target with subsequent shots, as long as the wind remains the same, anyway.
 If on the other hand I was using an MP8 or other milling reticle with 1/4 moa turrets, I would need a calculator to do the conversions, and I'd probably still get it wrong.
 I think there is a lot to be said for having compatible reticles and turrets, and if you prefer moa systems, some scope makers offer moa reticles, too. ( U.S.Optics, for one)

Edited by RONK - January/14/2008 at 12:07
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic