OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Opinion of 4.5-14x50 LR VXIII?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C Cape Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Opinion of 4.5-14x50 LR VXIII?
    Posted: January/01/2008 at 21:13
I put a pentax lightseeker 30 6-24x50 on my custom 7-08 and wasn't very impressed with it.  I was wondering what yall's opinion of the Vari XIII LR 4.5-14x50 scope?  Also this scope doesn't have target knobs but is able to be set back to 0 when dead on.  Can target knobs be put on this scope?  Thanks!

Chris
silver View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/01/2008 at 21:55
Try the Zeiss. I think you will find that is clarity you need.  Not suprised about the Pentax/burris/berretta scope.

The Leupold custom shop can do about anything you could want to thier scopes.  BTW when was yourKarate last eye example? Things do have a way of creaping up on us.
"If we weren't all crazy we, We would go insane."   Jimmie Buffet

WWW.formitch.com

C Cape View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C Cape Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/01/2008 at 22:34
I can get that leupold for $550 as where I will have to pay 7+ for a Zeiss.  I'm going to get my eyes examined Friday because I've been having trouble reading a dry erase board in class (i'm in college).
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/01/2008 at 22:36

The Leupold VXIII and the Mark 4 in the 4.5-14x50 30mm tube are one of my favorites and they have 100 moa of internal adjustment more than twice what most other scopes have and capable of true long range, very reliable but glass is not quite what the european glass is but still quite useable.  The Leupold Custom shop can put the M1 style knobs on the VxIII.  I am quite happy with my Leupolds. 

Edited by Urimaginaryfrnd - January/01/2008 at 22:56

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
C Cape View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C Cape Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/01/2008 at 22:55
Do yall think the glass in the vxiii is better than the 4200?
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/01/2008 at 22:57
No but I think the VXIII is a tougher scope with more internal adjustment, better customer service and a LONG LONG record of reliability under adverse conditions.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
C Cape View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C Cape Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/01/2008 at 23:21
Thanks!
silver View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/02/2008 at 06:24
Ok, while the Zeiss may cost more, after you have traded a Meopta and a Pentax, you should be looking at near Zeiss money, even if you do not have one.  Good luck with the eye check.
"If we weren't all crazy we, We would go insane."   Jimmie Buffet

WWW.formitch.com

TheDrakeTaker View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheDrakeTaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/03/2008 at 07:25
If you're looking to use this scope as a target scope only (which is what it sounds like) then it will meet your needs.  Like it has already been said this scope is very reliable with lots of adjustment.  If this is a hunting scope and you need low light performance then I would not advise a Leupold, the glass is not the best.  However, it will be fine for target shooting.
Robert
8shots View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Lord Of The Flies

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8shots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/03/2008 at 10:00
I had the scope, with the intended use for target shooting. Excellent scope and glass. I however found the 14X not enough for my purpose. I exchanged it for a Leupold 8,5-25X50.
You cannot go wrong with either. The shop gave me a full re-fund, even though I had it on my rifle for about 30 shots over a 1 week period.
C Cape View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C Cape Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/03/2008 at 12:16
I've decided to go a different route.  I put my 4-14 Burris fullfield II on my 7mm-08 and will be buying a SPS Tactical in .223 and putting a 16x or 20x Supersniper on it for my target shooting.  It just costs too much to shoot this 7mm-08 if not reloading.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic