OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

NEED HELP!!!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ROUGHRIDER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: NEED HELP!!!
    Posted: January/01/2008 at 21:11

New member...1st post!!!

My problem is this. I am having a custom rifle built by Mcwhorter rifles. The cal is 270wby.
This rifle will be used for LOW light hunting. Money is of no concern I want the best LOW light scope on the market today. No night vision please. Which scope brand is the best and which model. Thanks to all that answer the call and HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!
chavist93 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chavist93 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/01/2008 at 21:42
Welcome.  I have no suggestions for you mainly because I dont even bother too look at very expensive scopes because I know I cant afford them.  I am sure you will get some excellent advice on here though.  Although it might help if you go into a little more detail about what you are looking for.  Objective size, power range, adjustable parallax or not, ect...
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/01/2008 at 21:54
certainly your should consider nightforce, schmidt bender, zeiss divari, kahles cbx, all of these are top shelf. i as well havent any real experience with these types of scopes im a working man cant afford such luxury items, i dont even own a $500 scope let alone a $2000 one.
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
HuntMaster View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HuntMaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/01/2008 at 22:04
I believe Swaro makes a 72mm obj scope. Low light performance would be a premium !
Derek
silver View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/01/2008 at 22:06
If money is no object then, I could constult for a reasonable fee...Devil  My knee jerk is S&B, but like Pyro I work for a living and Kahles is about my limit.  Seriously if you want to spend that kind of money around 1200 to 2000, then a plane ticket and a rental car to SWFA for you to personally check things out, may make a lot of sence. 
"If we weren't all crazy we, We would go insane."   Jimmie Buffet

WWW.formitch.com

ROUGHRIDER View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ROUGHRIDER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/01/2008 at 22:06
Ive looked at the new Swarovski z6i in a 3-12x50.
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ROUGHRIDER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/01/2008 at 22:18
I am a working man tooo. I have just saved for a long time and I want the best. Swarovski or Schmidt bender seem to be the best??? I just wanted to get advise from as many possible that have experence with high end scopes. I like the TDS on the Swarovski although I know that it will disappear at dusk. Swarovski dealers on every corner here and not a single S&B dealer in sight.
HuntMaster View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HuntMaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/01/2008 at 22:22
Try this site. Although I have yet to buy something here, When it comes time to rig out an M-4, you can believe I will give them a chance. Very knowledgeable people here.
Derek
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ROUGHRIDER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/01/2008 at 22:41
What site?
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/01/2008 at 22:54
Originally posted by pyro6999 pyro6999 wrote:

certainly your should consider nightforce, schmidt bender, zeiss divari, kahles cbx, all of these are top shelf. i as well havent any real experience with these types of scopes im a working man cant afford such luxury items, i dont even own a $500 scope let alone a $2000 one.

You forgot one...Big%20Grin

Swarovski

z6
1.7-10x42
or
2-12x50

Want illumination?

z6i
1.7-10x42
or
2-12x50

Edited by mike650 - January/01/2008 at 22:59
“A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be.” – Fred Bear
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/01/2008 at 23:21
Originally posted by ROUGHRIDER ROUGHRIDER wrote:

What site?

This one.  The one you're typing your post on.  www.swfa.com sells most of the major players in rifle scopes and owns this forum.

As for which scope is best for low light on a .270 Wby with a "money is no object" budget, either go with the Zeiss Diavari VM/V 2.5-10X50, S&B Zenith or Classic Variable 3-12X50 or 2.5-10X56, Kahles C 2.5-10X50 or Swarovski Z6 2-12X50.  Go with the 4a, #8, or any other reticle with thick outer posts so it will be visible in low light.  All of the above have first focal plane reticles (except for the Swaro Z6), which will allow the reticle to enlarge and therefore appear bolder as you dial up magnification.  For low light use, I believe FFP reticles are superior to SFP reticles.  I personally like well-designed illuminated reticle scopes for low light, and the illuminated models of all of these scopes -- Zeiss Varipoint VM/V, S&B Flashdot, Kahles CBX, Swaro Z6i -- are all very good, but crowd the upper limit of your budget.  Some will tell you to go with even larger objective lens diameter models, but I see little use in going larger than 50mm, in some cases, maybe 56mm, for a scope you plan to use for hunting in a variety of conditions, because the scope becomes very bulky, makes the rifle top heavy, and requires extra high mounts.  I personally have the Zeiss 2.5-10X50 illuminated #8, the Kahles CB 2.5-10X50 with 4NK, and a S&B Zenith 1.5-6X42 Flashdot #9, and I can tell you from my own personal use while feral hog hunting at night that all of those scopes are superb low light scopes! 
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
www.technika.nu View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote www.technika.nu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/02/2008 at 00:57
Hi

I would certainly go for Zeiss.
If you are hunting mainly on short ranges the V3-12x56 would be my choise and if you hunt longer range 6-24x72 would be my choise.
Swarovski is behind Zeiss when it comes to low light and so is SuB to.
I love the Z6i and is probably going to buy one but not for low light.

I have used a Zeiss 6-24x72 a cuople of years now and is extremely satisfied.
Sometimes i take on of my other rifles that not have that scope and I always gets dissapointed cause the differeance is so big( in low light).
( Zeiss 3-12, Kahles 8x56, Sub 4-16x50, SuB4-12x42.)

So if you want the best, there is one choise.
If you finds it far to big, go for the Zeiss 3-12 x56 instead.

A good thing is detachable mounts if you intend to use the gun for anything else than long range/low light hunting. On the pic is Apel swingmounts, but currently i have ARMS on the gun.

Regards Technika
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ROUGHRIDER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/03/2008 at 20:23
Thanks,  I love this site!
cyborg View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Gaseous Clay

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cyborg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/04/2008 at 06:24
Welcome RR, If money no problem, I'd certainly go Swaro, or Zeiss.
With Freedom comes great responsibility, you cannot have one without the other

An armed public are citizens. A disarmed public are subjects.

OATH KEEPER #8233 Support us, and join our cause.

Cyborg
Tip69 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Tip Stick

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tip69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/04/2008 at 11:08
Tech......... which scope is pictured there, the 72?
take em!
crimsontide View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crimsontide Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/04/2008 at 19:16

I am a working man tooo. I have just saved for a long time and I want the best. Swarovski or Schmidt bender seem to be the best??? I just wanted to get advise from as many possible that have experence with high end scopes. I like the TDS on the Swarovski although I know that it will disappear at dusk. Swarovski dealers on every corner here and not a single S&B dealer in sight.

I have a Swarovski 4-12 X 50 with TDS and have not had a problem with seeing the reticle at dusk.  Mine is visable well past legal shooting time.  I don't think it will be a problem for you.  You might try going to a sporting goods store that stocks Swarovski at dusk. Ask them to walk outside with you so you can look through the scope in low light. If you like it, thank the salesperson, go home and order it from SWFA!!!!!!  Good luck in finding the scope that fits your needs.
Crimsontide
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ROUGHRIDER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/04/2008 at 20:15
Mcwhorter rifles just became a S&B dealer.  They really like the S&B 3-12x50. Got to compare S&B and Swaro at dusk.
crimsontide View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crimsontide Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/04/2008 at 22:58

Mcwhorter rifles just became a S&B dealer.  They really like the S&B 3-12x50. Got to compare S&B and Swaro at dusk.

Well there you go.  Check them out and see which one you like, then buy it and don't look back.  I think both are good quality scopes.
Crimsontide
jetwrnch View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jetwrnch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/05/2008 at 11:38
Please correct me if I'm wrong but....I believe the difference in scopes from $400 up is not if you can see but how well.  Also take into consideration age and exit pupil. I'm 41 so I know I can't tell the difference past a certain point. For me there's no need for a huge, heavy objective lens. I'm better served allocating my money on contrast, etc. Not real expensive but the Trijicon is worth a look too, as is Kahles.
Dolphin View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dolphin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/05/2008 at 13:35
I would follow the recommendations of rifledude on this one, as he has more experience with high end scopes than anyone else on the forum, not meaning this offensively to the others.  This has just been my experience watching the posts.  So does technika.  The best scope that I own is a Trijicon TR-22 2.5x10 56mm and it is absolutely the best scope that I have ever peered through.  Not cheap at 800 dollars, but if you are looking for the ultimate best, stick with rifledude's recommendations and you will not go wrong.

Edited by Dolphin - January/05/2008 at 13:35
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic