OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Tactical Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Help with reticle choice

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote svannoni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Help with reticle choice
    Posted: January/01/2008 at 20:11
Hi All. I am in the market for a new scope for My AR in .25 WSSM.  I have decided to try a Millet 4-16x56, but can not decide which reticle.  They are available with a duplex, mil dot, or fine cross hair.  I am wanting this for some longer range shooting and hunting. I am not real good with a mil dot, but maybe I could get the hang of it.  what do You all think?  Thanks for the help.
levimoliver View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote levimoliver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/01/2008 at 21:50
Think of the Mil-dot like the condom principal "Its better to have and not need than need and not have".  The Mil-dot will function the same as the Duplex, only with added benefits.  As for the fine cross hair, if you're going to be hunting it could be very easy to lose the cross hair if your sighting game in dense foliage or shadow.  These are my own opinions though just throwing them out there.  Good luck.

-Levi
Critter View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Critter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/02/2008 at 02:47
Mil dots do very well with Tactical targets which tend to be much larger than those engaged by the average civilian. Even those involved in gaming found them to be too course for their purposes.

You really therefore need to look at a reticle that breaks the reticle down to at least 1/2 mil increments, or go with standard hunting reticles. Wire size should be a function of available light during deployment. If you are look at little to no light, then lit reticles are very useful.

Course reticles are useful for hunting under normal conditions. Fine reticles are good for operation in good light on small targets such as varmints or bench rest competition.

Of course these are all generalities, so your experience may very.

Bottom Line, look at the available examples and buy what you like.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic