OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Help Choosing Riflescope for Tikka T3

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sako .308 Win Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Help Choosing Riflescope for Tikka T3
    Posted: October/31/2004 at 22:58
I have a Tikka T3 Lite Stainless in .270 WSM and I have picked some high quality scopes out I think will serve me well for hunting whitetails when I need to make a long shot. Here are my choices:  Khales 2.5-10X50    Swarovski A-line 4-12X50  Zeiss 3.5-10X50 Conquest and Schmidt Bender Zenith 3-12X50.  I would rather have the Khales or the Schmidt Bender since their reticles are in the 1st focal plane because I like the reticle magnification for shots in low light. Help me out in choosing and tell me your picks and why. I appreciate all the advice and this forum has is the best there is in sport optics!!! Thanks                   
redneckbmxer24 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redneckbmxer24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/01/2004 at 15:47

why all the 50mm objectives, theres no need for them, they add weight, and make for a bad cheek weld, or none at all. i would go with the swarovski if it was me.

cory

If guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns, I'll be only one of millions!!!
Sako .308 Win View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sako .308 Win Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/01/2004 at 16:31

The reason for all the 50mm objectives are I need a bigger exit pupil at higher magnification. I will be using this rifle and scope on big bean fields, power lines, gas lines etc. Most deer move on evening hunts very late where I hunt in South Alabama because of the hunting pressure so I need a bigger objective for the low light shots I will be taking. Thanks for your reply! Brian

Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redneckbmxer24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/01/2004 at 16:39

still, i dont see a reason for the 50mm objective, when a 40mm will work fine. and definently the the swaro, with the TDS reticle

cory

If guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns, I'll be only one of millions!!!
noddah View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote noddah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/01/2004 at 17:03

I have a Schmidt Bender 3-12 / 42mm on a Steyr Scout 308. The 42mm is an extremely bright and very clear scope that I would never part with. I have looked through the Zeniths (Not at Dusk) and I no way fault you for your choice; it is also excellent. My only thought would be if you could mount the bell as low as the 42mm.

If the answer is yes by all means go for it!

Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sako .308 Win Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/01/2004 at 17:12
Alright you have made me a believer that I don't need a 50mm objective and I will be able to save a little money by going with a 44mm or 42mm. I will try to pick from the Swarovski A-line 3-10X42 Zeiss Conquest  3.5-10X44 or the Schmidt Bender 3-12X42. My favorite is the Schmidt Bender but I just need to save a few months to be able to afford it. Thanks for the reply Red Neck! Brian
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/01/2004 at 17:29

I love Schmidt and Bender.

But, the Swaro A line scope is very nice and LIGHT!! It would be a nice fit with that Tikka.

The Conquest is good, and can be had now in FFP reticle and a 30mm tube. But, they may be a 50mm objective. I dont remember.

Tough choice, for sure!!

Optically, I would go S&B. I may go S&B if I had a hard recoiling rifle. You have a .270, so it's a moot point.

If I wanted a light weight, mountain rifle rig, where weight was the biggest concern, the Swaro w/ the TDS would be really cool. 1" tube though.

The Conquest if your on a budget....

Edited by cheaptrick
If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redneckbmxer24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/01/2004 at 17:44

swarovski 3-10x42 aline TDS. you wont be dissapointed. you will loose your reticle LONG before you loose your sight picture.

cory

tbone1 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tbone1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/01/2004 at 18:51

Sako 308 win.,  I have a Schmidt & Bender 3-12x42, Zeiss 3-12x56 VM/V, and a Zeiss Conquest 3.5-10x44 and I have tested all three scopes very extensively in the afternoon as the light faded to darkness. 

S&B 42mm vs. Zeiss VM/V 56mm

I generally agree that larger objectives aren't that much brighter.  They both were unbelievable optically have supurb resolution and clarity.  I tried for a while to see a noticable difference in clarity or brightness between them and really could'nt until the last few minutes when it was almost dark.  The Zeiss was slightly brighter at the same magnification but I didn't think it would have made that much difference.  I don't believe I would have been able to shoot any later.  The Zeiss did seem to have a larger FOV though.

S&B and VM/V vs. Conquest

I tested each of them against the conquest on different days the last few hours before dark.  They both seemed to produce a noticable clearer and slightly brighter image and it became more apparent the darker it got.  It wasn't night and day difference but it was definately noticable.  The day that I compared the S&B to the Conquest, since I already knew it was clearer and brighter, the real goal was to see if it would actually allow me to take a shot later than I could with the conquest.  I tested them against an open field and also looking against a tree line.  This is when I noticed what you are talking about.  When I could no longer see the reticle (or very good through the scope) to shoot against the treeline with the conquest, I could see fine with the S&B due to the brightness, but more so the first plane reticle.  It got thicker as the magnification increased.  I could make it as thick as I wanted.  The conquest however was an awesome scope for the money.

As far as your choices go, I agree with most of the comments that I have seen here.  If your primary concern is optics and you want the best low light performance regardless of price or weight then go with the Schmidt & Bender.  The Swarovski is a fine scope and it is very light and compact but I am not sure that it meets your needs.  It should have slightly better optics than the Conquest but you will have the same concern with it as you will the Conquest due to the second plane reticle.  I have no advice as to whether I would get the 3-12x50 Zenith or 3-12x42.  I love my 3-12x42.  It is my favorite scope but I have'nt seen or looked through the Zenith.  It may be better.  Just to be fair I will say that my S&B is heavy and doesn't have alot of adjustment range, however optically it is hard to beat.  One more consideration is a Swarovski PH 2.5-10x42.   I don't know if you are partial to S&B or Swarovski but it would meet you needs as well.  I would give my opinion but I have'nt gotten to test one yet.  Let me know if I can help.

koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/02/2004 at 17:17
If you are already spending that much money, wouldn't a US Optics scope be the way to go?

Ilya
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sako .308 Win Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/03/2004 at 02:56
Aren't U.S OPtics more along the Tactical Line of Riflescopes? I will be using this scope exclusively for whitetail deer hunting. Thanks for the Replys! Brian
ranburr View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ranburr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/03/2004 at 11:48

Yes, U.S. Optics is a top notch tactical scope.  It is also a very heavy scope and its' ruggedization is actually a hinderance on a hunting scope (unneeded size and weight).

ranburr

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/03/2004 at 13:11

Originally posted by koshkin koshkin wrote:

If you are already spending that much money, wouldn't a US Optics scope be the way to go?

Ilya

I thought that koshkins reference was towards the hunting scopes from USO. The Jaeger.

http://www.usoptics.com/sub_pages/scopes2.php

ranburr View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ranburr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/03/2004 at 13:18

I didn't know that U.S. optics made anything but tactical scopes.

ranburr

koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/03/2004 at 13:40

I was indeed referring to these scopes.  I have never seen Jaeger US Optics scopes, but if they are optically anything like other US Optics pieces, they should be pretty awesome.  Apparently the guy in charge of the company now (the sone of the previous president) is trying to expand into high-end hunting market.  If I ever decide to drop that much money on a scope, I'll look at US Optics very seriously.

Ilya

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/03/2004 at 14:38
Originally posted by ranburr ranburr wrote:

I didn't know that U.S. optics made anything but tactical scopes.

ranburr

They came out about a year ago, ranburr. I have never seen one though..

Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redneckbmxer24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/03/2004 at 16:38

neither have i, i wonder who sells them, or does anybody have a pic, or somt info??

cory

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/03/2004 at 17:39
Originally posted by redneckbmxer24 redneckbmxer24 wrote:

neither have i, i wonder who sells them, or does anybody have a pic, or somt info??

cory

http://www.usoptics.com/sub_pages/scopes2.php

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic