OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

$1000 budget

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dunagan15 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/01/2008 at 20:11
Im gonna have to look into the Ruger though, seems to be liked very well by many
Big Squeeze View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
GOOGLE NINJA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Squeeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/01/2008 at 20:24
The Feb. `08 issue of "Guns Magazine" on pg. 30 has an article by Dave Anderson entitled "Happy Anniversary Model 77."...................He goes into the history of the M77`s, their previous drawbacks in barrel suppliers, accuracy, trigger pulls and what not!!....He also discusses the design and accuracy improvements that Ruger continually makes year after year, which they have done; most recently with the new trigger!...... The M77`s may not quite yet measure up to the M700`s, but I have no doubt that they will..... The accuracy with my 300 WSM Frontier hunting reloads is now under 1" ......I have yet to reload for my Alaskan 375, but I have no doubts, with some reloading experimentation, that I will get 1" groups or less with that too............Don`t completely count the Rugers out guys! They are improving every year! And along with new innovations, comes trial and error!........................... BTW, no stock splitting with my Alaskan yet!! 
GOOGLE NINJA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Squeeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/01/2008 at 20:29
Dunagan....................You don`t come from the Bushnell poor rep days of old do you???.......The 4200`s are a totally different ball game! There`s a difference between a Bushnell fan and a 4200 fan! I`m not a Bushnell fan, I`m a 4200 fan!Wink
dunagan15 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dunagan15 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/01/2008 at 23:37
well i recently looked through the 6x24x40 and it was nice just not what I expected and honestly thought the primos(old monarch) was optically better, but thats my eyes
dunagan15 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dunagan15 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/01/2008 at 23:54
Ive come up with 2 different options for my budget and I want to see what you guys think...

REMINGTON MODEL 700 BDL-DLX RIFLE($699) w/ Nikon Primos BDC reticle 3-9x40($218) $917 w/o tax or rings and mounts

TIKKA T3 HUNTER RIFLE($559) w/ a Zeiss Conquest 3-9x40($349.95 from sample list) $909 w/o tax and rings and mounts

both of these in a 30.06 caliber and are both wood stock, what yall think???
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/02/2008 at 00:18
Remmy 700 BDL, CDL, etc. , it's all good!! Bandito
“A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be.” – Fred Bear
bricat View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bricat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/02/2008 at 01:20
Morph your two options- take the Remington, but put the Conquest on it.     Bricat
GOOGLE NINJA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Squeeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/02/2008 at 02:44
Dunagan........Since you previously stated that you would look into the Ruger, I have an alternative to suggest!...............The M77 Hawkeye, which will include the rifle`s built-in integral scope mounts and the scope rings sells for about $649 to $699, at least here in Calif. anyway! Ruger always includes the rings. The new Rugers will also have the very much improved LC6 trigger. I don`t know what your preference is, but the Hawkeye`s have the matte barrel as opposed to the shiny blued...........The built-in scope base over the receiver and Ruger`s rings are the strongest in the business! As many authors have stated; "virtually bombproof." Ruger`s M77 bolt actions are certainly as strong as any, including the Model 700`s...................If I`m not mistaken, the BDL`s have iron sights on them. That`s ok to have, but not needed since you are mounting a scope. IMO, iron open sights look better on the DGR`s. However, there are no iron sights on the 30-06 M77 Hawkeye. Per customer`s requests, the M77 Hawkeye stocks have been more streamlined and make for better gripping and handling. The newer Rugers are more consistently accurate than the older ones............You cannot go wrong with the either the Remmy Model 700, the Tikka or IMO, the M77 Ruger Hawkeye! It`s just a matter of your personal taste; looks, appearance, how it feels to you, etc..............If you choose the Ruger, you won`t have to buy the bases or the rings! Maybe for what you save there, you could get the Zeiss????...Just a thought!!!! 
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/02/2008 at 05:55
Originally posted by mike650 mike650 wrote:

Remmy 700 BDL, CDL, etc. , it's all good!! Bandito

Or the XCR!
I like the way you think, Mike.  Salute
If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/02/2008 at 08:07
i have an m77 in a .280 and its a nice rifle, but its nothing like my m700cdl, the ruger is a cheap option, but a viable option, the remingtons are normally a lot more accurate than the rugers are, but you pay for it!
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
cyborg View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Gaseous Clay

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cyborg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/02/2008 at 08:11
Savage and Nikon, Savage and Bushnell, Savage and Millett, Basically Savage and any good scope that will cost you 450 dollars or less.
With Freedom comes great responsibility, you cannot have one without the other

An armed public are citizens. A disarmed public are subjects.

OATH KEEPER #8233 Support us, and join our cause.

Cyborg
OLRVRAT View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OLRVRAT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/02/2008 at 08:41
  Ruger 77 & a $400 scope!
  I own quite a few rifles ( ruger, browning, remington, savage, winchester & sako)
 Scopes (leupold, burris, nikon, bushnell, simmions & zeiss) and i like them all!
  But i have a ruger m77V 22-250, vari x 11 3x9 leupold , after market trigger that's in my pickup most the time that's paid for most of them (fur money)!
 So i gotta say Luv them Rugers!

Focus View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master
Conquistador!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Focus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/02/2008 at 08:54
I'm with Cyborg, savage with any good scope thjat floats your boat....conquest floats mine pretty well!

Focus
I Can See Clearly Now......<><

If Accurate rifles Are Interesting.....I've Got Some Savages That Are Getting Mighty Interesting......
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/02/2008 at 09:01
as long as it has the accutrigger, none of the old ones without it though
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Focus View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master
Conquistador!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Focus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/02/2008 at 09:29
Originally posted by pyro6999 pyro6999 wrote:

as long as it has the accutrigger, none of the old ones without it though

Heck Pyro, it takes about 15-20 minutes to change a savage trigger out! Thats why timney - rifle basics - sharpshooter supply make such good replacements.....just like breaking glass.....I prefer a sharpshooter supply to the best tweaked accutrigger.

Now....back to the topic :>)

Focus

Edited by Focus - January/02/2008 at 09:31

If Accurate rifles Are Interesting.....I've Got Some Savages That Are Getting Mighty Interesting......
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/02/2008 at 09:33
yeah i suppose so
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
cyborg View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Gaseous Clay

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cyborg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/02/2008 at 09:34
I've managed to get mine down to under 1.5 lbs, I'd like to get rid of the slight creep though. They do shoot very well though.
With Freedom comes great responsibility, you cannot have one without the other

An armed public are citizens. A disarmed public are subjects.

OATH KEEPER #8233 Support us, and join our cause.

Cyborg
GOOGLE NINJA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Squeeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/02/2008 at 11:43
Originally posted by pyro6999 pyro6999 wrote:

i have an m77 in a .280 and its a nice rifle, but its nothing like my m700cdl, the ruger is a cheap option, but a viable option, the remingtons are normally a lot more accurate than the rugers are, but you pay for it!
.............................Pyro! Then how or why is it, that my Frontier is obtaining groups of less than 1" with hunting loads?......I haven`t even started using match bullets yet!! Hmmmm! It`s all in the reloads!! Properly reloaded ammo & finding any individual rifles sweet spots or loads is the key! Not necessarily what any factory ammo does!...............I don`t know how old your Ruger is, but the newer ones are more accurate & consistent! A friend of mine has a new M77 Hawkeye in the 25-06, does his own reloads and he shoots consistent 1/2" groups and less! He also has the new Frontier in 7mm/08 (he couldn`t get the 300 WSM;; HA HA HA!!) which performs as good!...............It`s all in them reloads!!!  
Focus View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master
Conquistador!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Focus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/02/2008 at 12:15
You can find exceptional accuracy in any rifle brand, some there are more aftermarket parts for, some are easier to work on, some may appeal more than others to a particular buyer but all makes can be shooters if they are set-up properly and the right loads are worked up for them. Usually 95% of the inherent accuracy in any given gun is going to come from the barrel and load, once the tuning basics are done.....if the action sets well supported in the stock, the barrel is floated or pressure point is in the right place, barrel is headspaced within specs, trigger pull is light and crisp enough for accuracy, and sights are working.....it will come down to the barrel and load.....CZ's are a lotta bang for the buck.....

Scopes are the same way....one guy swears by elites the next has to have a nikon while still another won't use any but zeiss. Bottom line is they all work fine and its little nuances or cost that make different brand fans....

Focus

Edited by Focus - January/02/2008 at 12:21

GOOGLE NINJA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Squeeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/02/2008 at 12:34
Originally posted by Focus Focus wrote:

You can find exceptional accuracy in any rifle brand, some there are more aftermarket parts for, some are easier to work on, some may appeal more than others to a particular buyer but all makes can be shooters if they are set-up properly and the right loads are worked up for them. Usually 95% of the inherent accuracy in any given gun is going to come from the barrel and load, once the tuning basics are done.....if the action sets well supported in the stock, the barrel is floated or pressure point is in the right place, barrel is headspaced within specs, trigger pull is light and crisp enough for accuracy, and sights are working.....it will come down to the barrel and load.....CZ's are a lotta bang for the buck.....

Scopes are the same way....one guy swears by elites the next has to have a nikon while still another won't use any but zeiss. Bottom line is they all work fine and its little nuances or cost that make different brand fans.............................................Focus...................++++ Couldn`t have said it better meeee-self!! WinkWinkWinkExcellentExcellentExcellentExcellent...A little reloading clue for you 300 WSM owners?...........IMR 4__7___??????? 

Focus
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>
  Share Topic