OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Firearms
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

glocks

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: glocks
    Posted: January/01/2008 at 12:18
while glocks are pretty good from the factory, 2 items of theirs drive me nuts. The damn front finger rest and the front sites. Will have some picts. later, but I usually take the finger rest off, but front sites---.   Most are plastic mouldings, that when shrink, do so unevenly, and center along the sides is lower than the edges. This causes a hazing or shadow becakuse the light is not reflected evenly off the surface. The other problem is the sights are the same width regardless of the slide length (site radius) and thus the light bars are different widths, amongst a sample of guns. Using a one sided rasp I work the sites down to the correct width for that gun. About .12 for shortys and .15 for longys.
www.technika.nu View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote www.technika.nu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/01/2008 at 12:32
In my opinion the originals are not to be used anyway.
Black on black for target shooting, and tritium for more serious work.
Used to mount Bomar sights and Novak frontsights for target.

Regards Technika

Edited by www.technika.nu - January/01/2008 at 13:07
silver View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/01/2008 at 17:23
Why do I hear snickering from the drawer with the Colts and Hi-power?Stiring%20The%20Pot
"If we weren't all crazy we, We would go insane."   Jimmie Buffet

WWW.formitch.com

timber View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/01/2008 at 18:54
Hey Dale can you elaborate on the front finger rest?  Pictures?  I agree the sights are not great.

A common complaint is the grip angle - I'd agree.  This drives me nuts.  I've got two Glocks now on opposite ends of the spectrum, a 24C and a 26.  The compensator on the 24C barrel 'tames' the snappy 40S&W.  Some people talk of flashes from the compensator but it's been a minor issue for me.  Just hate the grip angle. 

The 26 is easy to shoot well and the grip angle is less of a problem because it's so short.  I put finger extensions on my magazines and it helped.  I've shot the 40S&W (G27) version of the sub-compact and with 180 grain rounds it tends to buck up in your hand every shot (to the point where you feel as if you have to re-grip) making it difficult to remain accurate in rapid fire. 

Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/01/2008 at 20:08
compared to the good sights on a 1911 they should snicker and  a glock should shudder. I'd prefer a .110 blade like the one on a wilson or clark comp. the notch on the trigger guard , which holds the index finger of the left hand. Usually the low profile and grip angle is a saving grace, (and I'm not pointing any fingers at Sigs.). Are you using  a thumbs over thumbs hold???
timber View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/01/2008 at 21:08
Yup.  Both thumbs pointing forward.  I don't use the finger rest - my supporting hand's index finger is with my other fingers, over the fingers of my other hand which are grasping the grip.

I do like the low profile/center of gravity of the slide.  Glock does this as well as anybody.  However I much prfer the grip angle of a 1911 or Sig for that matter.

Edited by timber - January/01/2008 at 21:12
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote www.technika.nu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/02/2008 at 00:45
I don't think th egripangle is the problem, but the "backstrap" that goes into the hand.
We use to do this conversion on glocks and the grip get entirely different.
Here on a G19, but on a full size grip the feeling is far better.

Regards Technika

Steelbenz View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
ROLL TIDE ROLL

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steelbenz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/02/2008 at 08:49
Technika,
    That looks sweet, I have a 23 for consealed carry and just all round shooting and thats the rub, I like the size and the .40 but the sights are not the best. I guess I have to give up something to get clean draws from the belt rig I'm using.  
"Don't argue with a fool! From a distance you can't really tell who's who!"
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote www.technika.nu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/02/2008 at 09:07
A set of trijicon nightsigths for example?

Regards Technika
tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/02/2008 at 10:06
I haven'y seen too many Bomars on Glocks. Good one, Technika.
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/02/2008 at 10:42

tech has got a good point, timber to you have a flat backstrap or the hump on your 1911 and which one do you like. the hump backs were designed to push the barrel up when the 1911 is shot from the hip, as in a speed rock.

tech did you fill in the grip before the flattening???

Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote www.technika.nu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/02/2008 at 12:06
Yepp grip filled first.
Here is the full grip covered with beadblasting sand, of the wrong colour.

From the beginning I was machining in std. dovetailed BomarBMCS sights, but that doesent look as good as the BOMAR flat base on the previous picture.
It's of course an orignal Glockslide, they are not as difficult to machine in as many use to tell you.

However this is jobs i did in the past, I dont' do it anylonger as I find development of new products far more facinating.

Regards Technika
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/02/2008 at 12:15
nice solution to both problems.
timber View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/02/2008 at 22:15
[QUOTE=www.technika.nu]I don't think th egripangle is the problem, but the "backstrap" that goes into the hand.
We use to do this conversion on glocks and the grip get entirely different.
Here on a G19, but on a full size grip the feeling is far better.

You're right.  It's probably more of the backstrap hump that 'drives me nuts'.  I remember years ago the first time I handled a glock (after coming from Sigs) remarking to someone "what's up with the grip?".  He laughed and said that's a common complaint for people first handling a Glock, especially if they were used to a Sig or HK.  He also said it literally forced some to shoot high until they got used to it although that never happened to me.

I'd say for me it's the hump AND the angle but if they'd remove the hump I could deal with the angle.  Dale, I don't own any 1911's but my experience has all been with straight grips.  I'm also waiting like a lot of people for Glock to do a single stack sub-compact and a single stack or smaller grip (smaller than the new SF) 45 and 10mm.

A couple of things so impressed me with Glocks that I eventually got a few (also had a sequenced pair of 34's);  the very low center of gravity/high grip, the finish (what's it called?  Tenifer or something like that?) and of course the durability factor.  Incidentally, the factory trigger pull weights on my 34's and my 24C (also the 35) are about a pound less than 'regular' glock trigger.  I like my Glocks but I don't 'love' them.

Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/02/2008 at 22:45

I hate them, plastic smells, square slide, I keep trying to break one to get rid of it but can't, but every time I put one up against a combat commander in a timed exercise in concealed carry the times and scores are compareable. Guns built all wrong, just like a leo, but somehow they just work. Have you looked at the 38 in 45 Gap.

Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote www.technika.nu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/02/2008 at 22:49

I was very annoyed first time I realized I shoot much better with a stock Glock in IPSC than my own custom paraframed 1911.

Generally I miss low when shooting 1911, while I hit with the glock.

Glock is probably the best service pistol of all times, and probably the easyest pistol to learn a beginner to shoot. (Ipsc style NOT target)

Regards Technika
timber View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/03/2008 at 12:29
Haven't tried the 45 GAP.  The slide looks slightly unbalancec(?) or oversized, which of course I've read Glock says it has to be to handle the heavy grain rounds' recoil.  But I do like the smaller grip.  It appears from sales statistics I've seen that it is floundering.  It's a good idea though.  I want to wait to see if it sells better because I'm concerned about factory ammo availability.

As far as Glock vs. 1911 I think the reason Glock often excells in some competitions (in spite of the hump & grip angle) is because of the high grip/ low center of gravity of slide.  It's definitely better in that respect than a 1911.  And even better compared to a Sig or HK USP.  But you'd think the much crisper single action trigger of the 1911 would even things up some.

Glocks are easy to learn but from a safety standpoint for a beginner true double actions pistols are much better.  Any pistol that requires pulling the trigger to disassemble has to be handled carefully.

Longhunter View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Longhunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/03/2008 at 20:22
Comments on the Glocks:
1.  Reloading - Biggest complaint is the unsupported chamber for .40's, which makes reloading "iffy" and shooting them expensive.

2.  Sights - Yes, they are plastic, but the white dots are a good idea (which is why they've been copied).  We've used a touch of typewriter whiteout on other handguns to make black sights show up better on a black target.  The white dots help you correct for the Glock's bad grip.  

3.  Grip - This is a major reason for I'm not fond of the Glock.  It's just too big around for no good reason.  This keeps it from being a natural pointer (for me, at least).  Whether I'm using a rifle, pistol, or shotgun, I want to be able to bring it up with my eyes closed and have it pointing in the right direction every time.  (They've just come out with a slightly smaller grip on a new model.)

4.  Durable and rustproof - The Glock will probably last longer than I will (especially given  the price of .40 caliber factory ammo).  This is one of the pistol's best attributes 

5.  Reliability -I've seen "occasional" shooters jam this pistol regularly by using a light hold.  This makes it a really bad choice for them.  It requires a firm grip.

I don't view the Glock as a target pistol.  It's primarily a combat/self defense gun, for a reasonably experienced shooter.     
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote www.technika.nu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/03/2008 at 23:18
1. The .40 brass looks terrible, but it is reloadable. All shooters that i know of shooting .40 is reloading their own ammo.

5. I think this reliability issue is interesting.
I have seen shooters haveing reliability problems with Ruger Mkll .22 cal!!!!
Not because of a bad gun but because they have a way of moving the gun backwards when they shoot.
Begnnners that of some funny reason "makes" the gun recoiling, and when the gun moves backwards there is nothing for the bolt to work against and there is a jam.
So with that said Iam just pointing out that there is a number of shooters that have a negative behavious that makes cycling problemes that not can be blamed on the gun.
I know many female shooters that never have problems with their glocks and therefor I cannot agree that there is a reliability problem with glock.

I view glock as one of the best IPSC pistols ever, and it is possible to almost as shoot as good with it as with a 1911. The 1911 wins when there is longer of more difficult shots, but the Glock wins with it's reliability.
EVen thoug the reliability of 1911s are high on a well made customgun, mostly competitors lack of maintenance and their own "custommizing" are reduzing 1911 reliability considerably.

Regards Technika
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/04/2008 at 10:33

limp wristing is common, the recoil is broken at the wrist instead of the forarm, new shooters will suprizingly have more trouble with a 9mm than a 45 because the recoil impulse isn't high enough to make the gun work anyway.

slide on the gap isn't any larger than a 40. the 38 could just be the best balanced handgun I've ever used. the best carry load is the WW silvertip.

reloading in the 40 just needs slower powders HS6 or similar will bring it up t specs without any pressure signs. However it does not make major, which is usually done with a 200 gr bullet and this is were things get interesting.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic