OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Sightron SII Big Sky vs Elite 4200

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Optics Master Extraordinaire
GOOGLE NINJA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Squeeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/10/2008 at 12:43
Also!.........Feel free to offer other alternatives other than Leupy or Sightron! I don`t think there are too many others! 
Big Squeeze View Drop Down
GOOGLE NINJA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Squeeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/10/2008 at 14:39
Correction!............In the 1" straight tubes, the Leupy 1.5x5`s are $399. The Sightron is $335! Alot closer in price! Leupy worth the extra $65?? 
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/10/2008 at 14:42
My apologies for a long absence.  Holidays got to me, and then I was sick for a while.

Now on Big Sky vs Elite 4200.  Both are good scopes.  I think they are optically very close.  Sightron Big Sky has longer and a little more flexible eye relief, which I like.  Correspondingly, Elite 4200 has slightly wider field of view for similar models.  In terms of durability, I have had very good luck with Sightron scopes as well as with 4200s.  With the new Big Sky, I am aware of two or three people who have had problems with the 4-16x42 model.  I suspect this is a problem with some early batch, but time will tell.

Elite 4200 is a bit cheaper, but Sightron gives you some additional reticle options: plex, dot or MilDot in 4-16x and 6-24x and plex or MilDot in 3-12x.  Sightron is also available in silver and black.

In the end it all comes down to what you need.  Both scopes will work well.  If it is on a kicker, I think eye relief is important and I would look at Big Sky.  If you are OK with shorter eye relief and a plex reticle, Elite 4200 is a good choice.

If you want an illuminated reticle, there are a couple of options in Elite 4200 lineup, but not in Sightron's.

ILya
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/10/2008 at 14:43
depends on if the sightron cs dept  has become more reliable, we have heard mised reviews from there cs dept, with leupold i dont think there is an issue. i think you need a leupold squeeze!
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/10/2008 at 14:48
Sightron has been very good in customer service in the past.  Recently, I have heard a couple of people complaining, but I am not sure we can condemn Sightron into Nikon-land just yet.

As for the low range variable, if you are OK with a plex reticle, go with a Sightron.  It is a great little scope (I tested one).

If you want more reticle choices, Leupold is worth a look.  Also, if you are willing to look at 30mm tube scopes, I have a Elite 4200 1.35-4x24 with #4 reticle and it is excellent.

ILya
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/10/2008 at 14:49
boy its good to have you back ilya we missed you
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
GOOGLE NINJA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Squeeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/10/2008 at 14:55
Pyro!................Uh Oh! A Leupold??................Other than between the Sightron and the Leupy in straight 1" tubes, there aren`t too many other choices out there.......I wonder if the Nikon Monarch UCC in the 1.25 x 4 or 4.5 (shotgun scope) would work! Parallax is set at 75 yards! Is that a big deal???  
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/10/2008 at 14:56
yeah what the heck give it try, somebody would buy it from you if you didnt like it
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/10/2008 at 15:39
Nikon Monarch UCC was surprisingly not very good when I last tested it.  To me, it was clearly not up to the standards of the rest of the Monarch line (despite occasional Nikon barbs that are mostly directed at cheaptrick, I do like Monarch scopes).

If you want a 1" scope without a front bell, your options are pretty limited.  Sightron Big Sky and Leupold VX-3 are probably the more expensive choices.

If you want to save some money, take a good Look at Weaver V3 1-3x20.  It is a surprisingly nice scope and it has a good reputation for holding up on stuff with pretty serious recoil.

There is also the above mentioned Monarch and Leupold VX-2 1-4x20 which I am not a big fan of.

Are you dead set on a variable?  You could also take a look at smallish fixed mag scopes, like Weaver K2.5 and Leupold FX-2 2.5x20.

ILya
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/10/2008 at 16:00
i just wanna see squeeze buy a loopie so when hes talking about a scope its all about how good that vxIII scope is
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
GOOGLE NINJA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Squeeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/10/2008 at 16:05
Thanks there Ilya!!!..................I`ll probably wind up with either the Sightron or the Leupy! I really cannot see spending $700-800 or more for the lower variable powered 30mm tubes in Zeiss, IOR, or Kahles for my .375!... Is the glass better with those? Sure! But not worth at double the price and more over the Sightron or Leupold!!.......Have you reviewed the Weaver Classic Extremes yet? They are in 30mm though!
GOOGLE NINJA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Squeeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/10/2008 at 16:17
OH! I`m sure if I get a Leupy, I`ll have to eat something!!! MY words!!!Eat%20and%20Drink In 1" straight scopes there just isn`t too much out there!!! So if I do get the Leupold, I`ll have a good excuse??? Lack of selection???..........It will make for some fun posting and I`ll never hear the end of it either!!!! I know!! I`ll just put some black masking tape over the bell and hide the gold ring when I post some pics???...I`ll doctor it up a bit!!! Laugh
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/10/2008 at 16:23
Originally posted by koshkin koshkin wrote:

I have heard a couple of people complaining, but I am not sure we can condemn Sightron into Nikon-land just yet.

Whatever...Whatever

For the record:
One or two people on the "errornet" report sub standard (so they say) Loco customer service from Nikon and all the haters coming running to pile on!! Wink 

If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
Focus View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master
Conquistador!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Focus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/10/2008 at 16:31
I for one have my own impression of sightron customer service from personal experience and they left me real unimpressed. Maybe they treated the next dozen problems and customers with gilt edged service but every so many you apparently risk getting treated like me or Pete did. Sorry the illusion for me of service being one of their strong suits is gone.

Excellent pic CT......very distracting.....

Focus

Edited by Focus - January/10/2008 at 16:33
I Can See Clearly Now......<><

If Accurate rifles Are Interesting.....I've Got Some Savages That Are Getting Mighty Interesting......
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/10/2008 at 16:51
sub standard service replies that there is service of some sort, right?

and therein lies your mistakeDevil

Originally posted by cheaptrick cheaptrick wrote:

Originally posted by koshkin koshkin wrote:

I have heard a couple of people complaining, but I am not sure we can condemn Sightron into Nikon-land just yet.

Whatever...Whatever

For the record:
One or two people on the "errornet" report sub standard (so they say) Loco customer service from Nikon and all the haters coming running to pile on!! Wink 

koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/10/2008 at 17:22
One other thing I forgot to mention in the SIghtorn Big SKy vs Elite 4200 debate:  Sightron typically has substantially more W/E adjustment range for comparable models (twice more for 4-16x42 vs Elite 4200 4-16x40).

I do not care too much for most uses, but I know it makes a difference for a lot of long range guys who click.

ILya
Ed Connelly View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
God of no Chihuahua

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed Connelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/10/2008 at 18:15
Big Squeeze, if I was going to scope up a .375 and was going to choose between a Sightron and a Leupold to go on a big, expensive hunt, I would probably go with the Leupold. I am not a huge fan of Leupold, but they ARE a darn good scope with a history of dependability. And they sure are elegant looking.  (Besides, all those KNOW-IT-ALLS will think are are just THE MAN when they see your rifle with that Gold Ring up there!! Like Chuck Hawks, etc. etc.)            Smoking%20Bandit     --Ed
GOOGLE NINJA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Squeeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/10/2008 at 18:29
Trust me Ed!.....You are fairly new to the forum! If I put a Leupy on my 375 Ruger, I`d never hear the end of it, because for the money I`m an avid 4200 fan! Optically better than the VX3`s, just as durable and for less money!!......Shiny or dull black duct tape may just hide that gold ring when OR IF I post the pics!!! Laugh
cyborg View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Gaseous Clay

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cyborg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/10/2008 at 18:31
Squeezer, I have given Leupy a hard time too but I admit that I love the one I have. I just hate that I paid so much for it. LOL Hey some black ink will fix that ring thing.
With Freedom comes great responsibility, you cannot have one without the other

An armed public are citizens. A disarmed public are subjects.

OATH KEEPER #8233 Support us, and join our cause.

Cyborg
Ed Connelly View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
God of no Chihuahua

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed Connelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/10/2008 at 18:35
Oh Yes, I agree....I thought you were considering the Sightron versus the Leupold. The Sightron may have better glass than the Leupold, too....but if I was going to go hunting Cape Buffalo, I don't think a Leupold is a bad idea. Mean%20Computer    Ha!   --Ed
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic