OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Sample List Kahles

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brodeur272 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Sample List Kahles
    Posted: December/31/2007 at 16:17
Just wanted to post about the Kahles 2.5-10 CB that I recently purchased.  Had it out in the field coyote hunting today in a light snowstorm.  The illuminated reticle is only for sunset/night use as the illumination was not visible during the day.  Plus side, the optics are pretty damn good and I really like the FFP reticle (4nk).  Took a coyote at 125 yards.  I have spoken with Kahles about the illumination unit and for 100$ and about 6+ weeks, they can send it to Austria and have it retrofitted with the illumination unit for a CBX/CSX. 

Just some FYI from a pleased customer...
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/31/2007 at 16:20
good to hear!
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/31/2007 at 16:31
Originally posted by brodeur272 brodeur272 wrote:

Just wanted to post about the Kahles 2.5-10 CB that I recently purchased.  Had it out in the field coyote hunting today in a light snowstorm.  The illuminated reticle is only for sunset/night use as the illumination was not visible during the day.  Plus side, the optics are pretty damn good and I really like the FFP reticle (4nk).  Took a coyote at 125 yards.  I have spoken with Kahles about the illumination unit and for 100$ and about 6+ weeks, they can send it to Austria and have it retrofitted with the illumination unit for a CBX/CSX. 

Just some FYI from a pleased customer...

Good to hear, brodeur272!  As you and I had discussed previously, I have that exact same scope I got from the Sample List.  It's a great scope in all respects! 

You may already be aware of this, but I contacted Swarovski Optik North America (SONA), Kahles' long time US service center about this very thing (changing the illumination control to the CBX/CSX style) and they told me they were no longer doing service work on Kahles scopes because the two companies are parting ways.  They gave me a contact email address for obtaining Kahles service:  hkloetzer@comcast.net.  I haven't tried this email address yet, though. 
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
brodeur272 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brodeur272 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/31/2007 at 21:54
Rifledude,

I find that odd as I just shipped them two CL scopes to have converted from plex to 4a reticles and they said no problem.  Hopefully you're able to get that changed if that's what you're looking for.  Although I have one out to them for changeover and am awaiting it's return, my other one that's mounted it great and I can't see the need for illumination during the day with it (just yet).  If that's the case then I'll swap them out when the time comes.  Good luck with the repair!
Focus View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master
Conquistador!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Focus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/01/2008 at 06:52
Hey brodeur....where are they doing the changover work? still in Rhode Island at SONA or a new location? Just curious....

Focus
I Can See Clearly Now......<><

If Accurate rifles Are Interesting.....I've Got Some Savages That Are Getting Mighty Interesting......
emrisg View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emrisg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/01/2008 at 09:39

I just bought (3) 3-12-56 from the sample list. For a $150 a piece, I was able to get out of the conquest and in to the kahles. I sold all 3 of my conquests on eBay. I have the top end zeiss and Swarovski and I can't tell a difference except I have more money in my checkbook. The guys at swfa told me that Swarovski would service them until they found a new distributor.

The bottom line is I think the scopes are super high quality. They are clearer than the 3-12-56 conquest and most importantly they are a lot shorter and a lot lighter. When compared with my 2 top end Zeiss's, there is a little difference but not $800 worth (In my opinion). They are as good as the Swarovski (in my opinion). The one illuminated model I got did seem to have a dimmer light than others i have seen. I have not had a chance to use it yet so I don't know if it needs to be brighter.

The one thing that does worry me is that there seems to be a lot of the C series Kahles for sale. CDNN out of Texas has the same scopes off the sample list new in the box for the same prices. They buy closeouts for all kinds of gun related items. I did not buy one from them simply because I like SWFA and did not know if the other outfit was an authorized dealer and did not want any problems with my warranty down the road.

Makes me think there are going to be some big changes coming for Kahles. As long as they honor their warranty I don't care because I am happy with what I have.

Just my 2 cents worth

RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/01/2008 at 09:48

Rifledude,

I find that odd as I just shipped them two CL scopes to have converted from plex to 4a reticles and they said no problem.  Hopefully you're able to get that changed if that's what you're looking for.  Although I have one out to them for changeover and am awaiting it's return, my other one that's mounted it great and I can't see the need for illumination during the day with it (just yet).  If that's the case then I'll swap them out when the time comes.  Good luck with the repair!

Hi, brodeur!  I just contacted SONA this past Friday and the person I talked to in their service dept. told me that they will no longer do service work on Kahles scopes, so maybe you managed to get yours in under the official cutoff date.  Kahles is currently ending their relationship with Swarovski, and it is my understanding that they are in the process of setting up a different US distributor and service center. 

Also, keep in mind the new CSX/CBX illumination does not have a brightness setting for daytime use either.  The advantage to the new controls is that illumination is turned on when you pull the knob out, and it retains the last brightness setting that you used before you turned it off, as opposed to the CB controls where you have to set the brightness level you want each time you rotate the knob to turn it on.  The new control is just a little faster.  I'm not certain I really want to change the control, as the existing CB control works just fine; I just wanted to see what it costs.
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
brodeur272 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brodeur272 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/01/2008 at 17:59

Ted,

I spoke with Ester on the 21st and the 24th (shipped out on two different days) and asked her specifically about the changeover and she did not  indicate it would be any trouble at all.    She said Kahles will still be owned by the Swaro group, but they will have new US distribution and repair.  I actually received their receipt for repair note from them for one on the 28th.  She indicated the repairs would be done in Rhode Island.  Should have them back in about 6 weeks.  She said they are a bit behind.

As far as the brightness goes, I figured I would send one in and see just how much brighter it will be.  Small coin compared to buying a new CBX.  I'll shoot out a post upon receipt and evaluation. 

RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/01/2008 at 18:39

Ted,

I spoke with Ester on the 21st and the 24th (shipped out on two different days) and asked her specifically about the changeover and she did not  indicate it would be any trouble at all.    She said Kahles will still be owned by the Swaro group, but they will have new US distribution and repair.  I actually received their receipt for repair note from them for one on the 28th.  She indicated the repairs would be done in Rhode Island.  Should have them back in about 6 weeks.  She said they are a bit behind.

As far as the brightness goes, I figured I would send one in and see just how much brighter it will be.  Small coin compared to buying a new CBX.  I'll shoot out a post upon receipt and evaluation. 

That's odd.  SONA doesn't seem to be able to get their story straight.

Concerning the new style controls, I compared them side by side when I bought mine on-site at SWFA, and the CBX/CSX I looked at didn't provide any more brightness than the CB controls.  Both are designed for low light use only, not daytime use.  I personally don't want it to be brighter, because when I use a lit reticle, I want only enough illumination to be visible in low light, no more, so it doesn't overpower my night vision with too much light.  The advantage to the new CBX/CSX control is simply that after you turn it off, it retains your previous desired illumination level the next time you turn it on without having to readjust it.  Once you're satisfied with the brightness, you don't have to readjust it again.  The new control turns on the reticle by pulling out on the knob, and setting the desired intensity is faster.  With the CB control, you twist the knob to turn it on and you have to set the brightness to the desired level each time you use it.  Speed and convenience are the only advantages to the new CBX/CSX control.
Ted

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic