OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Millett- Mueller - Swift Scopes?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Master
Optics Master
Conquistador!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Focus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Millett- Mueller - Swift Scopes?
    Posted: December/31/2007 at 08:59
How would members with some experience actually rate the following three lower priced scope lines? Millett Gold - Swift - Mueller, compared for quality of optics, service and warranty, preformance in the field.....

Focus

Edited by Focus - December/31/2007 at 09:14
I Can See Clearly Now......<><

If Accurate rifles Are Interesting.....I've Got Some Savages That Are Getting Mighty Interesting......
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/31/2007 at 09:03
i havent ever hunted with a swift, but i didnt think for the price the glass was bad, and there instant replacement warranty is cool.
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Focus View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master
Conquistador!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Focus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/31/2007 at 09:16
Yeah they say they're using schott glass from Zeiss Pa lens grinding plant. Interesting.....

Focus

If Accurate rifles Are Interesting.....I've Got Some Savages That Are Getting Mighty Interesting......
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/31/2007 at 09:19
i wouldnt put it past them they have been making optics since the 1920's, so no need for any media hype.its an ok scope id say its comparable to the leupold vxII

Edited by pyro6999 - December/31/2007 at 09:21
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Long Gun View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Long Gun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/01/2008 at 15:02
I mostly lurk on this forum but post once in a long while.  In regard to your post/question: I have a Swift 3.5-10x44 on an HMR.  I am really pleased with it so far.  The slightly enlarged 44mm objective gathers more light and produces a good view.  You may think that the extra 4mm does not amount to much if compared to a 40mm objective, but you have to remember that extra is 10%!  Of all the reviews I read about them, I found them overwhelming positive.  There was always one person in a series of posts who would say they were trash.  But to that end, Swift's replacement warranty is hard to beat for simplicity - just take it back from where you purchased it and the dealer is authorized to exchange it on the spot.
One reason I chose this one was when I compared about 3 or 4 scopes at a given magnification setting, the Swift was clearer (focused) at shorter range.  I considered this to be of importance to me when hunting squirrels.
I can not compare the other two, but there is a huge following of Mueller APV fans on rimfirecentral.  The only comment I will make there is it seemed some folks mentioned they were a little touchy in regards to eye placement, especially those offering more magnification.
Depending on your purpose I think you will find the Swift quite pleasing to use.  It comes with a sunshade and you may find that desirable as well.
Good Luck!
tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/01/2008 at 15:18
I am not surprised to hear this. I have a couple pairs of their binoculars and a 15-45x spotter. I have found them to be very good for the price when I compared them with other brands in the same range.
medic52 View Drop Down
Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote medic52 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/01/2008 at 15:25
I am happy with the Mueller line as of today I own three of them. All are on rimfire guns and so far they have held up well. 2-4.5x14x40APV and 8.5x25x44 Mildot from what I've read and heard the Swifts have a good following also.......
"The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him." G.K. Chesterton
chavist93 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chavist93 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/01/2008 at 22:24
I have a swift 3-9x50 that I purchased way back in the 90's I believe when they first started marketing rifle scopes.  I remember them having the free replacement warranty even back then.  A few years ago it developed 3-4 specs on the inside of the scope visible very well when taken out of focus.  I wonder if this would qualify for their free replacement?
cyborg View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Gaseous Clay

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cyborg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/02/2008 at 06:26
I've heard good things about Swift, and I love my TRS-1 (Millett)
With Freedom comes great responsibility, you cannot have one without the other

An armed public are citizens. A disarmed public are subjects.

OATH KEEPER #8233 Support us, and join our cause.

Cyborg
Focus View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master
Conquistador!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Focus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/02/2008 at 08:32
Thank you gentleman, the swift scopes have caught my interest for a lower priced varmint scope and I wondered how they compared to the meuller and millett scopes. I have heard the same thing about muellers being pretty eye position critical. Anybody else with any experience please post up...

Focus

jjake View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jjake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/03/2008 at 07:32
I purchased a Swift 6-18X50 several years ago for a target 22 rimfire build. I actualy bought it thought my eye doctor's office (he was a nut but that is a different story). It never shot well so I returned it to Swift, not the doctor's office. I recieved a phone call from Swift stating that they did not have one in stock but would be willing to send me any scope they made. The rep mentioned he had an 8-32x50 Premier available if that would be acceptabled. I agreed and it arrived in about a week. For a 50yrd to 100yrd target scope it is pretty nice.

My large bore hunting scopes are Leupold and Bushnell. 
Dolphin View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dolphin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/03/2008 at 08:25
I own several Swift premiers and several Mueller's, including the Tac II and the Eradicator and they are all very good scopes for the price.  I once was going to mount a Burris FFII on a Tikka T3 and had a Muller Mildot sitting around and compared the two extensively and went with the Mueller.  I believe that is correct, or it may have been a Swift I used.  I also have a Swift Premier on my CZ 452 17 mach2 and it performs great.  Now, I called Mueller once regarding their Mildot and placement on a 300 Wby. magnum.  They admitted they had one returned on the caliber or either a 300 win. mag. and recommend using another one of their scopes.  Now this recommendation was based on one failure on one big magnum caliber.  So they are pretty up front.  One thing I do not like about Mueller, all of their scopes, except for the Tac II, are made in China, the Tac II is made in Japan.  Swift scopes have been made in various place, but I think most recently they are made in Thailand or the Philippines.  I would have to check and I would appreciate somebody else looking at their scope and chiming in, if this is not correct.
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/03/2008 at 10:09
all i can find is that the glass is usa made
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic