OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

End Of Adjustment???

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rahtreelimbs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: End Of Adjustment???
    Posted: December/29/2007 at 20:40
I put a Burris 6X FullField II of my Marlin .308 MXLR.

The gun holds a 3/4" 3 shot group at 100 yrds.

In the process of sighting this rfile in I began to feel the windage adjust start to get tight. I have it sighted in and I have a little adjustment left.............are there any concerns here???

RONK View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/29/2007 at 21:48
I would be concerned that your base is not in alignment with the barrel, causing you to  (nearly) run out of windage adjustment. Does the base appear straight on the reciever?      Read the scope's instructions to find out how much windage it is supposed to have, and then run it right to left, stop to stop, counting clicks. Then go back halfway to stop at or near the scope's mechanical center. You should not have to move more than a few m.o.a to get re-zeroed.  If you do, you should get a windage-adjustable base or Burris Signature Rings to correct this. An out-of-alignment scope is fairly common, not good, and fairly easy to correct.  Do it!
amk204 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amk204 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/30/2007 at 02:33
10-4 on that RONK.   if you do have the burris signature Z rings move the back ( rear) of the scope the same direction you want the bullet to hit. I.E. up for up, left=left. just like iron sights. This is true FOR THE REAR SIGHT ONLY. front sight movement is oppsit up=down, left = right.
Life is to short to shoot an ugly gun
Focus View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master
Conquistador!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Focus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/30/2007 at 06:45
Yup thats the deal where those burris signiture zee rings really come into their own. That way you can adjust the scope to the middle of its windage adjustment range, they work much better when the erector isn't ran all the way to the limit of its movement range.

Focus
I Can See Clearly Now......<><

If Accurate rifles Are Interesting.....I've Got Some Savages That Are Getting Mighty Interesting......
Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/30/2007 at 07:49
Not recentering as Ronk suggests, causes more stress in the saddle area and the erector compliment, increasing the likely hood of breakage, also you are not using the optimal optical center of the glass.
RONK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/30/2007 at 09:18

Thanks for the added input and clarifications fellas.

Edited by RONK - December/30/2007 at 09:22
Dolphin View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dolphin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/30/2007 at 11:34
In addition, I would strongly suggest lapping your rings, before moving on to the Burris rings.  What brand are you using?  This is something that I learned from rifledude, for me, at least on horizontally split rings.

Edited by Dolphin - December/30/2007 at 11:35
rahtreelimbs View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rahtreelimbs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/30/2007 at 14:08

I am using dednutz scope mounts/rings and they were lapped!!!

Dolphin View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dolphin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/30/2007 at 16:26
I actually had never heard of them until now and they are located about 75 miles from me.  Sounds like a quality product.  They do not even recommend lapping.  The Marlin is a quality rifle, but misalignment of the taps for rifle scope mounts can happen.  But, more likely I would bet on the scope being the problem, as imo there is more room for error.  I guess you could re-center your scope, you can do this in your loosened rings by spinning it while watching a point and adjusting the E/W until the cross hairs do not move and then start all over again.  Then if  you notice you have used a large amount of windage to sight it in, then it is a problem with either the mounts and rings or the rifle and you could go with a mount with an adjustable windage.  Preferable to the Z-rings imo.  If everything is fine then chalk it up to the scope not being centered out of the box, which is not uncommon.

Edited by Dolphin - December/30/2007 at 16:28
rahtreelimbs View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rahtreelimbs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/30/2007 at 16:35
I must have my head up my azz this weekend. I took the Marlin and put it in the cleaning cradle. I checked how much windage adjustment I had left. I easily got a full 1/2 turn extra. When I returned the adjustment back to its original position there was a little extra tightness. But it appears all this was moot......as I have a good bit of adjustment there.......I was concerned about a little tightness!!!

Dolphin View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dolphin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/30/2007 at 17:12
Oh well, you are good to go.  Good to hear that everything is fine.  Good hunting.  By the way.  Welcome to the OT.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic