OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Optics > Binoculars
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Choosing 10X42 Roof prism

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mjones Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Choosing 10X42 Roof prism
    Posted: December/28/2007 at 18:46
Hello,

This is my first post so please be patient.  I am looking for a new pair of 10X42 roof prisms for hunting.  I have been using a pair of Nikon Monarchs for the past 4 or 5 years and I want to upgrade.  I have been able to "test drive" Swarovski SLC, Leica Geovid and Zeiss Victory FL.  Of these, I liked the Zeiss the best and was set to purchase these.  Then I get an opportunity to purchase Leupold Golden Ring HDs for $800 ($1000 less than the Zeiss), but I am unable to "test drive" these as no one stocks them close by.  Does anyone have an opinion as to whether I would regret going the Leupold route?  By the way, I am a big fan of Leupold riflescopes.

Thanks in advance,

Mike
Bird Watcher View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bird Watcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/28/2007 at 19:29

If you purchase the Leupold Golden Ring HD from a 'reputable' dealer, you should be able to "test drive" them for a 30 day period, and return them for a 100% refund, if you do not like them.

If you are not being offered this kind of "satisfaction guaranteed", then I would not do business regardless of whether you are buying Leupold or Zeiss.

Different companies, including Leica, are using updated technology in the form of HD, or ED optics. Anything that actually 'improves' optical performance gets a "thumbs up", as far as I am concerned. Thunbs%20Up

Edited by Bird Watcher - December/28/2007 at 20:57
mjones View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mjones Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/28/2007 at 21:49
Thanks.  I was thinking of ordering the Leupold and returning them if I didn't like them.  Any other opinions?
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bird Watcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/28/2007 at 22:39
Just be sure that you do some low light testing, dawn and/or dusk, to see if these have the needed light transmission for your eyes.

Also, do you have previous experience handholding 10x binoculars?

Some guys say that the extra magnification produces too much hand shake.
Make sure you are satisfied with your ability to hold these steady enough, especially taking into consideration the amount of walking you may be doing in the field. They weigh 33.8 ozs.

Will the FOV be enought for you? 340'  

Do you wear eyeglasses? Eye Relief is 16mm.

Edited by Bird Watcher - December/28/2007 at 22:41
mjones View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mjones Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/29/2007 at 07:34

Yes, I have been using 10x for many years and prefer them to 8x.  One of my concerns with the Leupold is the extra weight (about 7 ozs. over the others), but is 7 ozs. worth paying $1000 more if optic quality is the same?  And yes, I do wear eyeglasses, but the Leupold and Zeiss both list eye relief at 16mm. 

Thanks again!
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bird Watcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/29/2007 at 15:07
The only way to find out for yourself is to order them and put them to the test.
Top-of-the-line high-quality binoculars do have a tendency to weigh alittle more. 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic