OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

4200 or primos #2

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Focus View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master
Conquistador!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Focus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 4200 or primos #2
    Posted: January/02/2008 at 08:44
I would prefer to deal with bushnell over nikon.....just from my own past experiences. Bushnell is slow but they eventually do you right. I feel the rainguard is a worthwhile option well worth the $ difference. Put me down for the elite...

Focus
I Can See Clearly Now......<><

If Accurate rifles Are Interesting.....I've Got Some Savages That Are Getting Mighty Interesting......
martin3175 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote martin3175 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/01/2008 at 21:51
As one that went through a horror story with Nikon cs in 2006 , tough to go back to Nikon...
dunagan15 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dunagan15 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/01/2008 at 17:59
In my experience comparing the two, I liked the Nikon simply because it had a little better eye relief and has the BDC reticle. It also is about $80 cheaper, and to me I couldnt find any reason as to why the 4200 is more expensive (other than rainguard, but most quality scopes in this case the primos shouldnt be an issue in harsh conditions). Both are great deals none the less and you wont go wrong with either, just my opinion.
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/01/2008 at 17:10
the thing that scares me about the nikon is the constant horro stories about bad cs experiences. but i own three nikons now and havent had any issues with them
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
martin3175 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote martin3175 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/01/2008 at 16:26

Go with the 4200--- you'll be happy with it and the rainguard does work

Focus View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master
Conquistador!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Focus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/29/2007 at 09:41
What!!!......you haven't showered with your elite yet?? That would really take the fun out of things I suppose.......I find a shower with rainguard and you're good for the whole day :>)....keeps the lenses clean too.....with the firefly you could shower in the dark.....

Focus
I Can See Clearly Now......<><

If Accurate rifles Are Interesting.....I've Got Some Savages That Are Getting Mighty Interesting......
tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/29/2007 at 09:02
The Nikon is $216 and the remining 4200's are $289 @SWFA. I have had both scopes side by side at all hours in the last few weeks. I'm with Pyro, it's a draw optically between the two. I haven't showered with the 4200, yet, so I don't know if the Rainguard is for real. Most of the folks around here think so.
Dolphin View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dolphin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/29/2007 at 07:06
Both good scopes.  Go with the one you can get the best deal on.
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/29/2007 at 04:16
Check out the link above and the video. This is the BDC in action @ SWFA.  Shooters were hitting cans of shaving cream out to 500 yards.

I just shot the other day for the first time and got my 100 yard zero established, but I didn't get to shoot through "the circles"  yet...BUT I will be in the near future.

To use the BDC to it's fullest potential, your going to have to use it in conjuction with a range finder.

Another video using the BDC...

Both the 4200 and the Primos Monarch will serve you well, but the BDC when used with a RF, would be a lethal coyote getter I would think.
If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
dunagan15 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dunagan15 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/28/2007 at 21:14
pyro, any clue when the 6500 are to be released? before next season?
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/28/2007 at 19:52
i have both the 4200 and the nikon monarch, and i havent spent a lot of time at first or last light with the 4200 and i havent played in the rain with it yet, but i know the rainguard works i was out for a couple of hours yesterday, and in dec in minnesota its cold enough that if you breathe on your eye piece it very likely to fog and i never experienced it, i will say at the same time i didnt have any fogging with my monarch either, to me there isnt really much difference under normal daytime light i know bushnells cs dept is better than nikons, but i havent had to use either and i have had nikon scopes for years. if it was me i would look at them both really hard and see what your eyes think,i dont know if the rainguard is worth the extra$50-60 but its a nice scope reguardless of the price, the monarch is as well. if you want a 4200 better hurry i think they are going to be gone soon, to make way for the 6500elite
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
dunagan15 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dunagan15 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/28/2007 at 18:51
look up the former threads about the 4200, as well as the thread by Cheaptrick on the Nikon Monarch, he just took it to the range so he has some interesting posts, I just went through the same process as you and chose between the same two scopes. I went with the 4200.
skeetlee View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skeetlee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/28/2007 at 18:27
ok guys here is my deal. i want a 3x9 and have narrowed my choices dow to the 3x9 4200 or the nikon monarch primos. most will say that the 4200 is a little better, and that might very well be true. but the monarch has the bdc recticle. i would think this would be a plus for hunting yotes here in the midwest. i would also think that both scopes are paralax set @ 100 yards. so my question is how accurate will the nikon be at say 400 yards? dont know what to do here in illinois please advise.  the scope will be on a new rock river predator persuit. thanks lee
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic