OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

The Great Scope-off of '08

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bricat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The Great Scope-off of '08
    Posted: December/28/2007 at 12:51
After hearing my endless rantings about my new found love for Euro-optics, my buddy has challenged me to a "scope-off" after the new year. I need some help in setting up the rules for this competition. He wants to challenge his lower-end optics ('80's era Charles Daly, Elite 3200, and a 70's era Redfield) against my Zeiss Conquest and Kahles CL . I need some ideas on specific challenges ( reading a license plate at a certain distance, low light competition, etc...) I am also thinking about having a non-hunting/shooting neutral person invovled in the competion. Give me your ideas guys! Thanks, Bricat
timbercruiser View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timbercruiser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/28/2007 at 13:29
You would need to select a limited number of power settings, maybe 3, 5, and 9 to keep it from getting it confusing.
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/28/2007 at 13:50
if you want to do this really nicely try to pm koshkin and ask him he will help you seperate the men from the boys
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
SteveOR View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveOR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/28/2007 at 15:41
Find a copy of the WWII optics test sheet - The pattern is a square of evenly sized black lines in ever decreasing size. The test is which glass can read the smallest pattern clearly t 100 yds. Really good glass of a lower power will win over higher powered cheap glass.
Steve
Wally View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wally Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/28/2007 at 16:02
Your buddy is gonna get a rude awakening!!

Big%20Grin  

Steve 

pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/28/2007 at 16:05
more like spanked
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Focus View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master
Conquistador!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Focus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/28/2007 at 16:13
Download the air force acuity chart from online and set it up at 100yds. See what each scope will read in ever decreasing print size with them all on the same power. Put up a dark colored textured item at 100yds slightly in the shadows of bushes/woods and try to keep picking it out with ever decreasing light levels after sunset. Watch a clock and note where each scope can no longer make out the object. A piece of rug or cloth will work pretty good. Right before sunset look at an angle to the setting sun and see which ones flare and halo out the worst. (the euros will really show some difference with this one) Its not going to even be a close contest with the scopes he has, they are quite a bit inferior to what you are testing. Good Testing!

Focus
I Can See Clearly Now......<><

If Accurate rifles Are Interesting.....I've Got Some Savages That Are Getting Mighty Interesting......
Big Squeeze View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire
GOOGLE NINJA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Squeeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/28/2007 at 16:58
CAN WE GET SOME MONEY,,,SOME GOOD `OL WAGERING IN ON THIS DEAL??????? I`ll give 20 to 1 odds and put up my 4200 on that deal!!!!!!!!Don`t need the Swaro`s or the Kahles either!!
feklar View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote feklar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/28/2007 at 18:18
1)Box test.
2)Place scopes in freezer for set period of time, remove from freezer(on a warmer day), which one is able to read license plate at 100 yds first?  Did either of them lose zero?
3) Submersion test?  I don't know how far you want to go with these scopes.
4) Impact test?
silver View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/28/2007 at 19:22
Originally posted by SteveOR SteveOR wrote:

Find a copy of the WWII optics test sheet - The pattern is a square of evenly sized black lines in ever decreasing size. The test is which glass can read the smallest pattern clearly t 100 yds. Really good glass of a lower power will win over higher powered cheap glass.

Check your back issues of the American Rifleman as they have that target.
"If we weren't all crazy we, We would go insane."   Jimmie Buffet

WWW.formitch.com

Focus View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master
Conquistador!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Focus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/28/2007 at 19:29
Here ya go all you need.....

If Accurate rifles Are Interesting.....I've Got Some Savages That Are Getting Mighty Interesting......
silver View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/28/2007 at 19:40
Originally posted by bricat bricat wrote:

I am also thinking about having a non-hunting/shooting neutral person invovled in the competion. Give me your ideas guys! Thanks, Bricat

Local optometrist or camera club members would be a good match.  I think a photo color chart should be one part.  One of the other things is with the light on the target from differant angles, including back lit.  The another thing light is differant colors at differant times of day, so that should be factored in.  An overcast day would also be an interesting factor (make him work for it).

WWW.formitch.com

8shots View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Lord Of The Flies

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8shots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/31/2007 at 05:21
Interesting, very interesting! With all these charts and test patterns out there and no-one has ever published such a test for a given scope! It is safer to say" Scope X has clear optics and is really bright with an excellent level of clarity" Whatever that means. All scopes fit those parameters, it just depends on the eye of the beholder and cannot be disputed. Which is probably the point.
tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/31/2007 at 08:42
You need to compare in low light, for sure. That's where those other scopes will get smoked, badly.
Focus View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master
Conquistador!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Focus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/31/2007 at 08:55
Your right 8shot, when you use that acuity chart in low light you can quickly see one to two lines difference in performance between competing similar priced scopes. A quick truth test on resolution ability......Color and brightness are more eye dependant and as such harder to actually apply for many differing levels of vision. You can however quickly evaluate as to how several given scopes preform with your particular eyes.

Focus

Focus

RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/31/2007 at 09:59
Bricat, I would be very interested in hearing the conclusions from your "scope-off '08" comparisons, so please keep us posted!
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
silver View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/31/2007 at 10:12
Ya' know if a test like that got out it could cost some people some serious coin since thier over hyped products did not preform.Devil  It happens in the camera rags all the time, but never the gun rags. Jerry%20Springer

WWW.formitch.com

Focus View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master
Conquistador!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Focus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/31/2007 at 10:40
The few times you see scope tests in the magazines, corporate money and influence steers the results many times. When I first started using the acuity and contrast charts for low light scope comparisons the results completely changed the brands I continued to buy and made conquests my favorite brand of mid price scope. It also really opened my eyes (no pun intended) to the stunning clarity (resolution) of 4200 elite scopes. I believe resolution is a real test of lens quality and grinding/polishing, while brightness and color correction has more to do with the quality of lens coatings. Internal blackening and distance the lens is set back in the objective has a lot to do with flare and halo control. Using a light at night to illuminate the charts adds another whole dimension to testing.   

Focus

dimecovers3 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dimecovers3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/31/2007 at 11:08
Here are some good scope testing targets (scroll down) http://www.6mmbr.com/targets.html
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/31/2007 at 14:11
Tagged!

If ya'll need a slightly used (and wet on the INSIDE) Barska Ridgeline to "round out the track" let me know, I'll send it your way. Bubble%20Bath
If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic