OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Optics > Binoculars
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Binoculars

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brasskeeper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Binoculars
    Posted: December/27/2007 at 18:48
I'm looking for a pair of binoculars to use when I'm hunting. I need to stay $100ish range. I found a pair of Pentex XCF 8X40 that I like and I was wondering what you guys think of them and if you have any other suggestions.

Thanks
Bird Watcher View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bird Watcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/27/2007 at 22:45
The Pentax XCF are not waterproof/fogproof, so they would be classified as a fair weather binocular.

The Nikon Action Extreme ATB 8x40mm is both waterproof/fogproof.

Edited by Bird Watcher - December/28/2007 at 06:49
brasskeeper View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brasskeeper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/28/2007 at 08:01
Thanks Bird watcher.

I appreciate any help as I know very little about Binoculars
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brasskeeper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/28/2007 at 08:10
I like the raingaurd feature of the legend. Which of the three has the best at  low light? Which has the best waranty?
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bird Watcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/28/2007 at 12:10
Here is some general info for you to read:

I could not find any info in either the Bushnell literature or the web site regarding their warranty. I assume it is a Limited Lifetime Warranty.

Nikon offers a No Fault warranty, if you break it they will repair or replace it for just $10, for a period of 25 years.

Pentax has their Worry Free warranty, which, if purchased thru an authorized dealer, they will repair or replace your binocular for $19.95, and there is no mention of a time limit.

In this price range low light capabilites should be pretty equal, the Legend has a very slight edge because of the 42mm vs. the others at 40mm. 

Nikon advertises it optical coating as multicoated for the AE ATB series, Bushnell Legend and Pentax PCF WP II advertise theirs as Fully multi-coated, with Pentax also having added their own super multi-layer coating in addition.

All three are listed as waterproof, however, only the Pentax PCF WP II has internal focusing which allows for a waterproof rating of JIS class 6. 

However, after having compared the Nikon AE ATB with the Pentax PCF WP II inside a sporting goods store, I purchased the Pentax because it looked clearer and brighter under artificial lighting.

You need to go and look through and handle some of these, before you buy one.

Edited by Bird Watcher - December/28/2007 at 12:28
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brasskeeper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/28/2007 at 12:50
Thanks Birdwatcher.

I actually went this morning to Sportsmanswarehouse they had the Nikon and the Legend.  I like them both but I think I like the feel of the Nikon better and its $50 cheaper. I wish they had the Pentex I want to look at a pair of them before I decide.
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bird Watcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/28/2007 at 13:09
My Sportsmans Warehouse has a variety of Pentax binoculars, wonder why yours doesn't?
Does it have anything to do with the "after-the-holidays" stock reduction?
You might ask them if they ever stock the Pentax.

Be sure and 'compare' the optical coatings on the front objective lenses and the rear eyepiece lenses.

Edited by Bird Watcher - December/28/2007 at 13:14
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brasskeeper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/28/2007 at 15:24
They had about 8 pair of the pentax XCF. I know they had sold alot during Christmas but I did not see a place for any other Pentax
Wally View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wally Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/28/2007 at 16:05
Bird Watcher,

Not trying to butt in on another's thread, but what do you look for when you compare optical coatings?  Is there something you can physically see, or are you refering to comparing specifications of some sort?

Steve
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brasskeeper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/28/2007 at 16:57
Good question.
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bird Watcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/28/2007 at 17:40

Steve,

With good quality FMC optics you may see only the outline of yourself in the front objectives but you should not be able to distinguish your facial features.  The idea is that you don't want light being bounced/reflected back, off of the front objective lenses, similar to a mirror.

Better coatings give higher light transmission  to your eyes and a brighter image.

Also, good quality optical coatings will match closely from front to rear. 

Some models have lesser coatings on the eyepieces, where it appears that you can actually see white around the edges. Stray light can then be picked at the eyepiece lenses and cause internal reflections/scattering.

This explains it much better:

Wally View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wally Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/28/2007 at 19:48
Bird Watcher,

Thank-you very much for the explanation.  It makes perfect sense to me, once you explained it.  I would have never thought about it in those terms, but if you can't see a reflection, then all of the light is going through the lense, and not bouncing off!

I guess that's why I'm still an "Optics Apprentice"!   Loco

I appreciate the link as well.  I'm going to copy it and read it later tonight.

Happy New Year,

Steve
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bird Watcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/28/2007 at 20:50
Originally posted by Wally Wally wrote:

Bird Watcher,

I guess that's why I'm still an "Optics Apprentice"!  

Steve

That makes two of us!

Have a safe and Happy New Year.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic