OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Everything Else > Almost Anything Goes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

German Shepherds??

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: German Shepherds??
    Posted: December/27/2007 at 13:10
Anybody have now or ever owned a German Shepherd??
Recovering Doberman addict here.....

(RIP Hezekiah, my precious boy.) 

Here's the GS we are eye ballin....

Input appreciated!

If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/27/2007 at 13:50
yup, his name is Bubba 120 lb. 7 ft. long, can jump straight up over 6 ft., likes to bite tennis balls in half,  not quite the big babies dobbies are (no insult) but if you had one you know what I mean. same type of loyal friend and companion as dobbie without the slobber,  (turd size about the same) wish I had 3 or 4 of them, but city code prohibits
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/27/2007 at 13:59
Thanks, Dale.

Yeah, Dobbies are head cases, no doubt!! Baby 
cyborg View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Gaseous Clay

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cyborg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/27/2007 at 14:08
Mark I love them both, The dobies are very protective, as are the shepherds. To me little difference between them. Mainly I think it's how you raise them. Kinda like chirrens. Is that the WARDEN?
With Freedom comes great responsibility, you cannot have one without the other

An armed public are citizens. A disarmed public are subjects.

OATH KEEPER #8233 Support us, and join our cause.

Cyborg

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/27/2007 at 14:14
Originally posted by cyborg cyborg wrote:

Is that the WARDEN?

THAT would be her!! Indiana%20Jones 
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/27/2007 at 14:19
loosen a dog is worse than a family member, I try to rotate. whats the birds names? how old is the pup looks about 6 months.
cyborg View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Gaseous Clay

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cyborg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/27/2007 at 14:24
Yeah, You'd better toe the line Bro. LOL

Cyborg

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/27/2007 at 14:31
Moriah is the Umbrella Cockatoo, Micah is the African Gray.

We lost Micah shortly after this pic was taken, unfortunately. He got loose and flew away from us, never saw him again. We had, still do, a reward on him for $1000. We were contacted by a fella locally that heard we lost our Gray and he gave us his a few years ago. his name is Joel.

The dog is now about 2 years old, Dale, but I'm not sure when that pic was taken.
He was rescued from a bad situation when he was 3 months old by the police officer we are getting him from. The LE is affiliated some  how with a German Shepherd rescue organization.  

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/27/2007 at 14:34
Originally posted by cyborg cyborg wrote:

Yeah, You'd better toe the line Bro. LOL

You know me!!  Devil

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/27/2007 at 14:40
More recent.

They say he'll go 113 lbs.

pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/27/2007 at 14:41
oo you have a rott too, man i aint comin over without you knowing ahead of time
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
cyborg View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Gaseous Clay

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cyborg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/27/2007 at 14:41
Originally posted by cheaptrick cheaptrick wrote:

You know me!!  Devil
Precisely my point Bro. Light%20It%20Up You got a thing for Redheads too huh? Thunbs%20Up It don't matter if it's natural or dyed. Either way they get that temperament, and then there's the good part too. Wink

Cyborg
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/27/2007 at 15:04
they look pretty happy!! ( the dogs I mean).

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/27/2007 at 15:06
Originally posted by pyro6999 pyro6999 wrote:

oo you have a rott too, man i aint comin over without you knowing ahead of time

No, no, we haven't seen the GS yet. This pic was sent to us from his "foster parents". They have a Rott also, but they are keeping her and placing the GS with us or someone else.
We get to see him 1 Jan.

Sorry for the confusion. 
silver View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/27/2007 at 15:10
Expect to go through a can or more of tennis balls a month.  They can be quirky too.  They all seem to know the word BALL.  When I worked for the neighboring county checking properties for taxes, I met several dogs.  The best watch dog were Shepards.  They were the most loyal, but these were high dollar dogs with LOTS of training.  There were other dogs, but they were F-ing crazy.  Met a couple of crazy mean labs, some chows that would not make friends.  The only thing I had to spray was an akita mix that was allowed to get evil.  The rotties were "karl" or leaping up and down letting you know they were mad.  The pits were about the same.  I learned to scratch the dog behind the ears and measure a house at the same time.

The Sheps would normally bark at you, but when you said the magic word "ball" they would get this look like a crack addicit.   They would bring you what was left of thier ball and EXPECT you to play with them like a desparate house wife.  If they had no ball I did, and would toss the ball with them, make friends, and then get my work done.  It was win-win. In better than a thousand houses, I only had two german shepards that would not play ball with me, they were the high dollar dog.

The one the boss had LOVED to chase things (see tennis balls). Scaring the heck out of the neighbor kids when they rode thier bikes.  He was just wanting to race...  He had some Alpha issues that seemed to get solved when I picked him up and threw him once in a while. 
"If we weren't all crazy we, We would go insane."   Jimmie Buffet

WWW.formitch.com

cyborg View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Gaseous Clay

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cyborg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/27/2007 at 15:10
That GS looks like a smart one too. Better watch that one Bro, He'll be borrowing the truck if ya let him. 

Cyborg
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/27/2007 at 15:31
they have a different "guard dog bark" for each stranger danger, and of course the mailman gets his own special one, if you learn them, they will give a lot of "lead time". Most are breeds from wolves, and their ancestors hunted mice for a large portion of their diet, this incredible eyesight is part of most of them, and "card tricks" are hard to pull on them, but if you have a penlight laser, you can keep them going for hours. The most delicate part of their body is the under pads on their feet, and it they get out of line just step on their foot or grab their paws and squeeze. This method is used to train the dog not to jump up on you, if it should be a problem.
Duce View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/27/2007 at 16:17
I had one for 13 years, easiest dog in the world to train they are anxious to please, if the dog has come from a good blood line they are gentle but good watch dogs. We miss ours Smile

Duce
Duce

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/27/2007 at 16:26
Originally posted by Duce Duce wrote:

I had one for 13 years, easiest dog in the world to train they are anxious to please, if the dog has come from a good blood line they are gentle but good watch dogs. We miss ours Smile

Duce

I have no way of knowing the dogs background, Jim. Wish I did.
I feel like he'll be a good dog. I hope.......Whatever
Duce View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/27/2007 at 16:50
The one we had was so easy to train we taught him to obey hand signals just like a field trials dog and he loved it.  That dog had a strange thing about shoes though, he would destroy any shoe he could get hold of even if you had it on and your foot was off the ground he would grab the heel and pull it off. Then nothing would get him to give it back or let me get close to him till he had shredded the shoe. I had to buy a couple of pairs of shoes I did not intend too.  That was his only fault, maybe someone had spanked him with a shoe as a puppy but he would nail any shoe at any opportunity.

Duce Smile
Duce
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic